GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

who here first hated the 3rd gen gs, when first reveled and now owns one

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05, 09:20 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default who here first hated the 3rd gen gs, when first reveled and now owns one

when the new gs was first released, i didnt read too much good stuff about it on this forum... it seeems like everybody disliked how it looked.. but now everybody seems to love it........ just wondering why the change of heart for anybody who first hated it and now loves it....
Old 04-29-05, 09:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm one of those that thinks it's a huge disappointment when it's unveiled in Detroit last year. But seeing it in person changed my mind, especially when I saw it side by side with a left-over 2GS in the showroom. I still don't find it's looks stunning, but few sedans ever did.
I don't own one yet primarily because I'm not in the market for such a sedan right now, but I might consider it after the GS460 comes out & the new LS460 is a big disappointment in exterior design. Of course, I have to compare them in person parked side by side then
Old 04-29-05, 09:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

first i firt saw the pic i went "rolling eyes" with the exterior, but i knew the interior would be nice

when i saw the car in person, the exterior is still not getting good points from me, but definitely better than the pics. but the interior single handedly got TONS of points for me to like this car!
Old 04-29-05, 09:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The beauty of Lexus cars is often in the details, that's why they often look much more appealing in person when one can examine them closely.
Old 04-29-05, 09:53 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In pictures the car looks very bland and ugly - like a big hatchback. In person, it is totally a different car.

Thats one reasn why i went to see it in person to really judge how it was, and it got major from me because it is GORGEOUS! the lines - styling is sheer perfection and it does not looka like a hatchback in person. Thank god!

Now i will go and buy it when i can get it for 500-800 over invoice

Im gettnig it for about 1800 over invoice right now on a base RWD.
Old 04-29-05, 10:00 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I wasn't a big fan of the car, though it is a nice sedan with an especially superb interior. The exterior styling, as nice as it is, really doesn't stir any emotion inside me. That's what makes me buy a car though.....and again, as nice at it is....it's not nice enough for me to want to go get one.
Old 04-29-05, 10:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

So far, it's all non-owners responding. It must be love-at-first-sight for all of the owners
Old 04-29-05, 10:57 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AmethySC
So far, it's all non-owners responding. It must be love-at-first-sight for all of the owners

that is what i was thinking,,,,,,, maybe some people are too embarrassed they disliked it at first, then fell in love with it..... from the beginning the interior was always praised but few people ever admitted liking the exterior, i just started this thread out of curiousity.... personally i always liked the styling, especially the front, the back is ok to me, looks better with the little spoiler, if i didnt like the styling of the older m45, i would probably purchase this as my next car
Old 04-29-05, 11:51 AM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

I wanted one from the moment I saw it. I've said these things in previous posts but will restate them for this post... I guess I like hearing myself type.

Compared it to the BMW 530 and Audi A6. The 5 series is way too ugly on the outside now (like a mini-me 7) and the interior is average. iDrive is a disappointment.

The new A6 looks pretty good on the outside, but the v6 was sluggish. And the interior looked really dated. The MMC interface looks nice, but is no match for the Lexus touch screen.

I really liked the update GS styling from the get go. The old GS looked too boxy and dowdy, not sporty at all. The new look is much more aggressive but still refined. Add in the fantastic interior and technical accoutrements and it was a no-brainer for me.

style + comfort + luxury + hi-tech goodies > slalom course + skid pad (IMHO of course)
Old 04-29-05, 01:00 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

i never hated it, but it never blew me away either. i saw the pictures, then at an auto show, and the GS once again had some beautiful lines and amazing interior. but it didn't strike me with the kind of passion that i had when the 2nd gen came out; something about the 2nd gen was so far ahead of the competition and it was a beast in terms of power.

i love the car from a practical standpoint more than anything else; it has everything i need and much, much more. and it's very pleasing to the eye, although i admit there are times i wish it carried over the more distinctive GS qualities of the 2nd gen (e.g., the pod headlights just don't look as interesting, and the lip spoiler is great but could be a little bolder). i actually like the back alot, the new rear seems much more sporty to me, the 2nd gen was nice but in comparison seems to have the boxier/heavier look.

i really enjoy the car though, it's fun to drive, and it is nice to still get gawks and looks every now and then. i'll be the first to admit that it doesn't seem to get the same attention as when i got the 2nd gen in 98, but then again, my car then was black with the factory chrome 17's, and now i'm in glacier frost with graphite 18's. (sure sign that i must be getting old . . . )
Old 04-29-05, 01:13 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just waiting for the AWD....the look had indeed grown on me...and when i saw a MATADOR RED one in person....fell in love with it...and broke the piggy bank.
Old 04-29-05, 03:24 PM
longjohn
Rookie

For me, the 2nd gen never did much for me, although I like it better with mods. The 3rd gen didn't blow me away at first site, but I couldn't understand why it was getting panned so hard. I knew it could grow on me, and it has. I liked it enough to buy it.

What sealed the deal for me was the first time I washed it by hand. That's when I first got a feel for the workmanship and styling in the exterior. Now I sit here at work and stare at the car on my screensaver instead of working. Don't know how I'm going to buy another Lexus if I get canned for not getting any work done.
Old 04-29-05, 03:51 PM
nortrack
Driver School Candidate

Saw the pictures....... trawled the boards....

ordered the car!

Picked up the car, love it to bits!

Nuff said!
Old 04-29-05, 06:33 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

When the first time I saw it at the NAIAS I actually said that the car looks alot like the dreaded MAXIMA...It may seem like beating a dead horse but this car looks REALLY HOT in real life...the pictures do not do it justice.......When i saw at the LA AUTO SHOW last year....I told my buddy "i am getting this car" saw it at the dealership, test drove it and bought it. The interior is hands down the most luxorious, tech heavy and quite i have ever seen in a car and the exterior lines..WOW!
Attached Thumbnails who here first hated the 3rd gen gs, when first reveled and now owns one-img_0638.jpg  
Old 04-29-05, 10:56 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was totally disapointed first time I saw pics. After seeing in person and test driving an 06 GS430, I will say, it does look better in person. I still think the exterior could look much better, but I don't think it's ugly anymore. It's just a little bland to me and blends in too much with so many other cars. I don't care for the hatchback look.

The interior, and it's features and techno are just awesome So comfy and sweet looking. It rides and handles great too. Smooth and quiet even with 245-40-18s

Quick Reply: who here first hated the 3rd gen gs, when first reveled and now owns one