GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

buzzing noise when opening car after shutting off engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 10:06 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buzzing noise when opening car after shutting off engine

does anyone notice this buzzing noise right when you open the door after you shut off the car? i can't figure it out, it's not the steering wheel b/c it has already folded in.
Old 04-28-05, 10:33 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

i have it too - no idea what it is. it's a pretty high-pitched buzz! probably "normal", but strange nonetheless.
Old 04-28-05, 11:36 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i have it too - no idea what it is. it's a pretty high-pitched buzz! probably "normal", but strange nonetheless.
Is this not the normal beeping sound or something different (I'll assume something not a beep).. If that's true, I didn't notice anything on mine..
Old 04-29-05, 07:58 AM
9K Poorer
Driver School Candidate

Oddly enough, its probably the headlights.
Old 04-29-05, 09:26 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 9K Poorer
Oddly enough, its probably the headlights.

Definitely not the headlights, it's come from inside the cabin between the steering wheel and door handle. It only happens once right after you turn off the car and open the door. Last night i turned on/off the engine 5 times to try to figure out where the noise is coming from... it's a buzz not a beep.
Old 04-29-05, 09:26 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

I get it on my GS430 too. When you open the drivers door if the car has been sitting a while. It almost sounds like a pump priming for ignition start. I'm sure it has something to do with getting the car ready to go. If someone know what it actually is, let us know.
Old 04-29-05, 04:28 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That the noise from the evaporative system purging and stabilize the vapor from the fuel system. You will hear the same noise after the car sit for over a few hours or over night also. Don't be surprise if you walk into your garage and hear some strange noise from the GS, it's sound like your PC when you first turn on.
Old 04-29-05, 04:43 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Cool

I believe you may be correct here.. Although I've yet to hear it from mine.. I did however see a nice big sticker on a GS300 sitting on the dealer lot last weekend that the factory had placed on the window indicating that IF you hear what sounds like a pump or motor running approx. 5 hours after you shutoff the car, that was normal and it was a evaporative emissions test that the car does periodically behind your back.. Perhaps your vehicles feel the need to do it immediately after shutting down? I wonder if it has anything to do with how the car is driven just prior to shutting off?

I'm out of ideas..
Old 04-29-05, 04:51 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVT-i
That the noise from the evaporative system purging and stabilize the vapor from the fuel system. You will hear the same noise after the car sit for over a few hours or over night also. Don't be surprise if you walk into your garage and hear some strange noise from the GS, it's sound like your PC when you first turn on.
where is this located? b/c the sound is coming right from my door. the sound actually sounds like it's inside the cabin.
Old 04-29-05, 04:53 PM
osx-addict
Driver

I don't suppose anyone has a sevice manual yet? That would give you lots of ideas on where things are located..
Old 04-29-05, 05:21 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by VVT-i
vvt-i, i think that is exactly it! nice comparison to the PC noise.

i didn't get to see any of those warning labels on the car before i picked it up, it was already getting ready for delivery by the time i was signing the finance docs. but that would have been nice to know! frebay, i don't hear it in the cabin really, but as soon as you open the door it's really noticeable from under the hood.
Old 04-30-05, 02:10 PM
carminesc
Rookie

Default buzzing noise for me is my headlights

just thought i'd add input
Old 04-30-05, 05:13 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carminesc
just thought i'd add input
I would have to agree with you on the headlight deal. I needed somthing in my glove box last night so I flipped on the headlights to lite up the inside of the glove box and I noticed the buzzing noise. Car had been sitting since the previous night. Altough I would not doubt that there is somthing to do with emssions as VVT-i noted that makes a simmilar noise.
Old 05-01-05, 12:28 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kb2yza
I would have to agree with you on the headlight deal. I needed somthing in my glove box last night so I flipped on the headlights to lite up the inside of the glove box and I noticed the buzzing noise. Car had been sitting since the previous night. Altough I would not doubt that there is somthing to do with emssions as VVT-i noted that makes a simmilar noise.
not the headlights, this is a short buzz, less than 1 second and happens right when u shut off the engine and open the driver door.
Old 05-01-05, 09:52 AM
deric
Driver School Candidate

I found it too. It 's very hard to explain the sound. If it's normal, I don't mind.

Quick Reply: buzzing noise when opening car after shutting off engine