GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

just compared M45 to GS430, and the winner is...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 01:26 PM
jjl12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just compared M45 to GS430, and the winner is...

the M45. Went back and forth between these cars at the NY Auto Show (which was a total zoo today, btw), and for some reason, I kept on going back to the M45. It's definitely the more interesting of the 2 cars. The GS was very nice, and the interior quality is higher in the GS, but I was a bit bored by it, inside and out. Plus, even though the Infiniti saleswoman said the GS has 1 more cubic inch of trunk space according to the specs, if you compare the 2 trunks in real life, it's not even close, the M45's trunk is WAY more usable. The GS's trunk is shaped like a "T", whereas the M45 is nice and rectangular.

Did not like the I-drive thing in the M45, but I could live with it. I LOVE the 19inch rims on the M45 sport. As a fairly young (35) potential buyer with a baby and possib. another on the way soon, my choice would be the M45.

of course, i haven't driven either, but 35 more horses is always nice...
Old 04-02-05, 01:50 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your choice. It isn't the choice I made, but still a respectable one .I assume both are great cars (I only looked at the GS). But, you wont be recieving many huge smiles from this board since this is a Lexus Board. LOL. We are a little bit biased.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!
Old 04-02-05, 01:56 PM
jjl12
Rookie

Default i know

i know that this is a lexus board, and i really like the 430, but i was impressed by the m45. the shape of the trunk in the GS really bothers me. both great cars, can't go wrong. you COULD go wrong picking a 5 series over either of these cars, however....

as a mild-mannered, middle-aged married attorney with kids, i need a little excitement in my life, and i just feel the M45 would give me a bit more of it than the GS.

of course, i haven't even been to a dealer yet, so we'll see what happens when the chips are down....
Old 04-02-05, 02:55 PM
LexFather

Congrats!
Old 04-02-05, 04:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

You won't go wrong either way, but definitely drive them (both for an extended period if possible) to decide which fits you better.
Old 04-02-05, 09:20 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

jjl12,

I was at the NY auto show on Friday, and i finally got a chance to sit in the M45 for the 1st time. I actually like the interior layout a lot. It looks great and seems to be of great quality. IMO there is lots of attention to detail. The only negative of the interior was the stupid amber lighting.

The exterior is just too plain for me though. Even with the 19in wheels and zero fender gap, the M45 looks too much like other Nissans. Those taillights are hideous and ruin the look of the whole car. Im not sure why Infiniti didnt make the M45 look more aggresive like the G35coupe.

The new GS i have seen and sat in plenty of times already. They had a beautiful dark gray GS430 with black interior at the show. Every time I see and sit in it, i like the car more and more. The interior is not as fancy as the M45s and looks less attractive, but it is of higher quality. I wish it looked more like the interior on the LS though.

The exterior looks great. Its very sleek and aggresive but at the same time its a very elegant design. Everything flows very nicely together, but its not perfect. The headlights and grille still look a little weird to me, and the GS needs 19in wheels as well as eliminate the huge wheel gap.

The M45 is definitely a nice car, but just based on design i would take the GS withou a doubt.

The new Audi A6 and Acura RL dont even compare to the M45 or the GS, not feeling those cars at all.
Old 04-03-05, 12:34 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I was at the NYIAS aswell, I took a look at the RL, M45, and GS430. I would say the M45 has a nice look to it but it doesn't look any better than any Nissan, the RL I rather get a TL, but the GS 430 really amazes me the interior is so much simpler and the controls are so much easier than that of the RL or M45. The exterior I also think looks alot better than I first thought when they had the silver preproudction version last year. The interior quality of all of them seem to be pretty good if you ask me though but the GS does it for me.

Here's one pic I took...of the GS 430

and one of the M45

Last edited by LexusChris; 04-03-05 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-03-05, 03:04 AM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I was at the NYIAS aswell, I took a look at the RL, M45, and GS430. I would say the M45 has a nice look to it but it doesn't look any better than any Nissan, the RL I rather get a TL, but the GS 430 really amazes me the interior is so much simpler and the controls are so much easier than that of the RL or M45. The exterior I also think looks alot better than I first thought when they had the silver preproudction version last year. The interior quality of all of them seem to be pretty good if you ask me though but the GS does it for me.

Here's one pic I took...
lol.. before i read your post and just by looking at the pic you posted, i was thinking to myself "why is there a picture of an Altima here?"... At first glance, the new GS really does look like the Altima, especially from that angle..
Old 04-03-05, 07:22 AM
jjl12
Rookie

Default not to me

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
lol.. before i read your post and just by looking at the pic you posted, i was thinking to myself "why is there a picture of an Altima here?"... At first glance, the new GS really does look like the Altima, especially from that angle..
I don't see it, but everyone is entitled to their opinion...

LexusChris - i agree that the Lexus had simpler controls, and is the more 'civilized' car in terms of personality and looks, just not sure that civility is what i'm after...and that damned trunk.....
Old 04-03-05, 07:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jjl12
I don't see it, but everyone is entitled to their opinion...

LexusChris - i agree that the Lexus had simpler controls, and is the more 'civilized' car in terms of personality and looks, just not sure that civility is what i'm after...and that damned trunk.....
I would still drive both for a weekend before I pulled the plug if I were in your shoes. Neither car is cheap and I don't think it is fair to judge either solely on numbers (power etc) or some subjective looks.

Not sure why the trunk is such a big issue for you though..................
Old 04-03-05, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
It's for all those daipers he needs to haul while he's carving through a mountain run.
Old 04-03-05, 10:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hameed
I would still drive both for a weekend before I pulled the plug if I were in your shoes. Neither car is cheap and I don't think it is fair to judge either solely on numbers (power etc) or some subjective looks.

I agree here are additional GS factors that are very important to the ownership expericience.l
1. GS has proven top dollar resale
2. The Lexus is built in the only platinum awards plant, Tahara, in the world. In other words, the best auto plant in the world.
3. The GS just won the most prestigious crash award in Europe, which is a very tough test to get 5 stars in.
4. The GS is the top quality vehicle in its class,with Lexus being the top brand.
5. GS fuel economy is better
6. IMO, GS styling is much more advanced, the M45 has less style than the old GS 400./430
7. GS is platform is all new, not MR-2 based (350Z based).
8. GS has a new 6 speed tranny.

People are really going with these mag times like they are going to drive the car like that.
Old 04-03-05, 10:55 AM
LexFather

[IMG]

Both black and tinted! Both look good.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-04-05 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 12:21 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Both black and tinted! Both look good.

Wow. Nice pics.

You really can't go wrong with either of these fine vehicles.
Old 04-03-05, 02:35 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

1sicklex thanks for the pics. Both cars appear to have the same silhouette.

Quick Reply: just compared M45 to GS430, and the winner is...