GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

just compared M45 to GS430, and the winner is...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 10:12 PM
jjl12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i change my mind?

I know i started this thread by saying i would pick the m45 over the gs430...i've changed my mind. a quote in the May Automobile magazine about the M captured this lingering doubt i had about the car, something about the car being taken out of the development oven before it was done. i now think that the styling of the M would not endure and age as well as the GS. assuming i had an SUV in the garage to make the small trunk of the GS a non-issue, i would get the GS over the M...

who says only women can change their minds...
Old 04-09-05, 06:36 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjl12
I know i started this thread by saying i would pick the m45 over the gs430...i've changed my mind. a quote in the May Automobile magazine about the M captured this lingering doubt i had about the car, something about the car being taken out of the development oven before it was done. i now think that the styling of the M would not endure and age as well as the GS. assuming i had an SUV in the garage to make the small trunk of the GS a non-issue, i would get the GS over the M...

who says only women can change their minds...
I was in the same boat as you. I originally indended on getting the Infiniti, but one fateful day I decided to swing by the Lexus dealership to take a peak at the new GS. At the time I remember not expecting to be impressed. After a 20 minute test drive in a GS430, I was really amazed at not only the level of refinement, but the fun to drive aspect of the car. I'll admit I was one of those people who associated Lexus with the following terms: refined, luxurious, reliable & boring. So imagine my suprise when I actually found the GS quite fun to drive!

As for the Infiniti, I'll say it again, it's a damn good car. With that said, at least for me personally, the novelty of the car wore off quickly. After staring at pictures of it and seeing it in person a couple times I began to get bored with its design. The car began to look too tall and plain and I never warmed up to the tailights. I also began to notice some things about the car I didn't care for in a $40-60k vehicle. The exterior door handles, while beefy looking, felt incredibly cheap and "flexed" when you opened the door. There is no ambiant L.E.D. lighting in the cabin and the seat heaters/coolers didn't work nearly as well as the one's in the GS. (minor gripes, I know)

In the end I guess my feelings about the GS just snuck up on me. In a total opposite from the M, the car grew on me more and more. The styling looks better each time I see it and the little details in the car just really win me over. It may not be the quickest car in its price range (i.e. 545i, M45) or the most luxurious (i.e. E500), but it is the most well rounded IMO.

Last edited by jwaters; 04-09-05 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-09-05, 08:50 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Congrats jjl12 AND jwaters.

It seems that we have all read too much about the sporty ride and those incredible 35 extra horses making the M a hands down better car than the GS. It kind of reminds me of not being able to see the forest for the trees.... Some people are so fixated on statistics to see beyond the numbers.

There is so much more to the GS that makes it a car that is fun (IMO) to drive everyday. Whether you want a relaxing drive on the freeway (thanks to the Radar Cruise and ML Stereo), a white knuckle afternoon on a twisty road (thanks to VDIM) or the occasional spirited pass (thanks to plenty of HP and Torque IMO) the GS is a true multi dimensional Luxury Sedan.

My new GS is different than any other new car I have ever owned. I can't wait for an opportunity for a road trip in my GS and even have trouble sleeping the night before a trip. Each trip for me is an adventure where I can learn something new about my GS and discover nuiances to the character of this car that makes it so fun.

Today I picked up my car from the dealer after my FIRST 5K SERVICE. I hope to have it back in for my 10K service much sooner than later.
Old 04-11-05, 08:23 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

OMG jjl12! You have not even driven the two cars and you are picking between them? Do yourself a favor and go drive the darn cars. And drive the 545 and E500 as well - then let us know what you think. It blows me away that someone can even try to pick between these two cars without driving them. Worse that someone would base their decision on what Automobile said about a car!
Old 04-11-05, 09:50 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by highmiles
Congrats jjl12 AND jwaters.

It seems that we have all read too much about the sporty ride and those incredible 35 extra horses making the M a hands down better car than the GS. It kind of reminds me of not being able to see the forest for the trees.... Some people are so fixated on statistics to see beyond the numbers.

There is so much more to the GS that makes it a car that is fun (IMO) to drive everyday. Whether you want a relaxing drive on the freeway (thanks to the Radar Cruise and ML Stereo), a white knuckle afternoon on a twisty road (thanks to VDIM) or the occasional spirited pass (thanks to plenty of HP and Torque IMO) the GS is a true multi dimensional Luxury Sedan.

My new GS is different than any other new car I have ever owned. I can't wait for an opportunity for a road trip in my GS and even have trouble sleeping the night before a trip. Each trip for me is an adventure where I can learn something new about my GS and discover nuiances to the character of this car that makes it so fun.

Today I picked up my car from the dealer after my FIRST 5K SERVICE. I hope to have it back in for my 10K service much sooner than later.

You know high miles its funny you say this....My wife usually drives the new GS to work since her work is 40miles round trip....Mine is 35miles one way plus I have to goto our 10 other offices. So i end up taking our 99 GS300 (80K...i know not even close to your mileage )...which really isnt bad at all actually but hay NEW car is NEW car Tommorow i am taking the new GS out...why? I freakin miss it (sounds ratarded doesnt it) I cannot wait to drive the car again. Funny thing is that i have a 300...and you guys with 430 probably have more fun with more power...anyway with the ML/NAV option (1st time for me) and just the beautiful exterior and unbelieveably luxorious interior....oh man...just simply awsome.... everyone has thier own opinions and preferences... I am glad i picked this car and didnt care about HP and 0-60 times.

Last edited by NYlexus; 04-11-05 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 06:53 AM
jjl12
Rookie

Originally Posted by doug_999
OMG jjl12! You have not even driven the two cars and you are picking between them? Do yourself a favor and go drive the darn cars. And drive the 545 and E500 as well - then let us know what you think. It blows me away that someone can even try to pick between these two cars without driving them. Worse that someone would base their decision on what Automobile said about a car!

relax, relax, i'll drive the cars when i'm ready to buy, which is in about 4 months when my current lease expires. I have driven the E500, and it drove very nicely, amazing torque and nice interior. nothing wrong with a magazine article or two to help me pare down my choices. and yes, it is often possible to come to a conclusion about what car is right for you without ever driving one, based on other considerations...

but yes, i'll drive the cars..
Old 04-14-05, 12:12 AM
CJGS4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sandman
I understand your point about torque vs. HP. As you probably know, the reason that a lot of V8's tend to have higher torque figures than HP is because they have "breathing" problems - not being able to get enough intake air to sustain the torque at higher RPM. HP is a function of torque and RPMs so the longer the engine can sustain the torque the higher the HP. WIth the new technology that you mentioned I would expect that the new 4.6L V8 would be able to sustain torque at higher RPMs and get better HP/L figures. The 4.3L achieves 70HP/L - so I'd hope that getting to 75-80 would be achieveable in the 4.6L (if not higher). Of course, Lexus may choose to tune the engine down for reliability, economy or smoothness of operation. Either way, I think we are in agreement that the new 4.6 should be a nice step up in performance.

I was not aware that the Infiniti 4.5L V8 isn't ULEV! And that they don't have experience with Direct Injection. So they have to use displacement to achieve their target market niche "Designed to Outperform". BMW has had some reliability/longevity issues with the M3 and M5 motors because they push the envelope so hard with what the engine can do. I'm glad the Lexus seems to hold back a little because that last few % creates a big trade-off between performance and longevity.

What you say about the 450h and 460 makes complete sense to me. I understand that the 450h designator is meant to convey that the car performs as if the engine were a 4.5L V8. If the hybrid were to be the ultimate performer then Lexus would have named it with a higher number designator. I'm still curious about how Lexus will market these 2 models and what the real differentiation will be. I suspect that the real marketing benefit to Lexus goes far beyond just offering model choice. It goes to brand awareness, technology leadership, environmental image, etc, etc.

This M3/M5 longevity issue is not so much a problem unless you don't warm up your engine or change oil frequently.. OR if you drive your car more than 150K+ miles..The M3 engine only had problems because of faulty rod bearings, BMW underengineered one part on it.. I used to have two M3's and i've seen them pushed up to 450HP on race gas (420HP pump gas) without changing bottom ends.. THe engine is VERY durable, and can handle even more power than the amazing 100HP per liter that it comes stock with..