GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

just compared M45 to GS430, and the winner is...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-05, 09:08 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
We are advised by the factory folk that the GS450h will arrive in May '06 as an '07 and will be the top performance model in the GS series. Not long after that I expect the GS460 normally aspirated dual VVT direct injection V8 to be added to the stable with the GS350. My predictions are deductive yet have factory verification. In some cases I am surprised by the information for instance I had assumed that the GS450h would be AWD until January 10th when we were told that it was going to use the 310 HP 3.5 V6 paired with the electric motor/generator in a rear wheel drive configuration. Most writers have dubbed it the most significant new model at the New York autoshow. I have three orders as of today for the GS450h. Passing power will be its forte. M45 will need new shoes to keep up!
Keep in mind that Infiniti has been using the VK V8 since 2001... it has had some minor tweaking since then, but i would not be surprised if they came out with a brand new 5.0 liter or equivilent by the 2006/2007 model year, which would indeed make it faster than the 450H..
Old 04-03-05, 09:13 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVT-i
You got it.

This is the whole thing about Lexus. They've never said " Relentless pursuit of FASTEST". They just want to make a perfect balance car with quality, reliability, customer service, resale and decent power.

I know the M45, G35 and the new Infinity line up are nice, but Infinity is going after the BMW. You may find yourself a little uncomfortable at the E46fanatic or any of the BMW forums, because they will tear you the new one.

I've seen you posts on here for the past few weeks. What's borther you about the GS? It's look like the Altima that copy the designed of the 2GS from the rear overhang and then some, and now you think the GS is copying the Altima. I think you got it backward. I'm out and done with topic.
You should also know that Infiniti is spelled with an "i", and not a "y".. but perhaps you didn't know
Old 04-04-05, 12:17 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
Keep in mind that Infiniti has been using the VK V8 since 2001... it has had some minor tweaking since then, but i would not be surprised if they came out with a brand new 5.0 liter or equivilent by the 2006/2007 model year, which would indeed make it faster than the 450H..
*If* .... it can lead to anything really. We KNOW for sure that the GS450h is coming, as well as the GS460. For one thing, both the GS450h and the GS460 will have improved fuel economy over current models, as well as improved performance. The GS430 already beats the M45 in fuel economy.

Let's say hypothetically, that Infiniti does come out with a 5.0 V8 ... chances are it will have lower fuel economy, or at least the same. I doubt it would have higher economy. Now let's assume that this so called M50 will be faster than a GS450h. Keeping in mind it will have significantly lower fuel economy than the hybrid, we also have don't forget the GS460, which should possess even better performance than the 450h. WIth Direct Injection, and Dual VVT-i, even a 5.0 VK would at best match the 4.6L Lexus power.

Right now, having 35 more HP, and 15 more ft-lbs of Torque, the M45 beats the GS430 in straight line speed by only a whisker. Slalom times are tied, and in the real world, the M45 will have trouble in the rain, or snow. With this in mind, a 4.6L Direct Injected, Dual VVT-i engine will probably overpower a 5.0 VK, unless the VK goes through some substantial changes.

I'm just wondering .... why do you try so hard to make biased statements, and provoke arguments? Why be on this forum at all if you hate Lexus so much?
Old 04-04-05, 12:25 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Just another thing to note ... Toyota has used the UZ V8 engine since the very first LS. This engine has gone through some minor tweaks, a displacement boost, and more minor tweaks.

This engine family is almost 15 years old, similar to the MZ V6 family.

Don't be surprised if the 4.6L V8 is a new engine family like the GR V6s are.
Old 04-04-05, 12:51 AM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
*If* .... it can lead to anything really. We KNOW for sure that the GS450h is coming, as well as the GS460. For one thing, both the GS450h and the GS460 will have improved fuel economy over current models, as well as improved performance. The GS430 already beats the M45 in fuel economy.

Let's say hypothetically, that Infiniti does come out with a 5.0 V8 ... chances are it will have lower fuel economy, or at least the same. I doubt it would have higher economy. Now let's assume that this so called M50 will be faster than a GS450h. Keeping in mind it will have significantly lower fuel economy than the hybrid, we also have don't forget the GS460, which should possess even better performance than the 450h. WIth Direct Injection, and Dual VVT-i, even a 5.0 VK would at best match the 4.6L Lexus power.

Right now, having 35 more HP, and 15 more ft-lbs of Torque, the M45 beats the GS430 in straight line speed by only a whisker. Slalom times are tied, and in the real world, the M45 will have trouble in the rain, or snow. With this in mind, a 4.6L Direct Injected, Dual VVT-i engine will probably overpower a 5.0 VK, unless the VK goes through some substantial changes.

I'm just wondering .... why do you try so hard to make biased statements, and provoke arguments? Why be on this forum at all if you hate Lexus so much?

How do u figure that a 5.0 M could only "at best " match a 4.6 GS, when a 4.5 M already beats a 4.3 GS?
Also, the 4.5 M has 335 horsepower, while the 4.3 GS only has 300 horsepower.. remember back in 2000?? when the 4.0 GS went up to 4.3?? The horsepower increase went from 300hp to uhhh, 300hp.. i doubt a 4.6liter using the same engine will have any more than 325 horsepower unless, like u say, they build a completely new engine... Having said that, the only reason why the M is only .2 seconds faster than the GS has to do with the weight difference between the two sedans.. the GS only weighs 3,748 lbs, while the M weighs 3,948 lbs, a difference of 200lbs...

and who says i hate Lexus? I'm a Lexus owner... but i'm not blinded by the truth.. and the truth is, that the new M is a better luxury sports sedan than the new GS..

Last edited by LiquidBlue; 04-04-05 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-04-05, 06:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I hope there will be an Infiniti M50 too, the real BMW will be upgraded to the 550 shortly, & with a real stick available

A 5.0 litre engine is no longer a big deal in this segment, the E class have had it for 2 1/2 years & from what I' ve heard will soon be upgraded to 5.5 litre.

As for Lexus, they seem to be more interested in using hybrids to boost power & fuel economy more than just increaing engine displacement. I think there will eventually be a V8 + hybrid, & I think likely coming with the new LS first . . .
Old 04-04-05, 09:22 AM
Sup
Driver

Originally Posted by tmds
Hey, it's my car!

I saw a Flint Mica GS while I was out biking this morning. As an M owner, I've gotta say that I really like the looks of both. The M is more my style (obviously, since I bought one), but the GS has a terrific balance of sleek lines and overall shape. I especially like my new friend, the black 5% tinted GS you've included above. Is that a tinted windshield? Awesome! I feel like I'm already on thin ice with my 15% tint here in Los Angeles. Keeping my fingers crossed, so to speak.

Anyhow, these two cars trump everything else in the market, in my opinion. Every time I see a 5 series, I can't help but laugh and shake my head in disgust. Poor sukers. Oh sorry, I should be more civil. It's just hard not to laugh at someone who spends so much more for something so... uh... unpleasant to look at. I can't wait to see some more GSs and Ms on the road!

finally an M owner who I can respect.

Many of the members on FreshAlloy are too immature and biased to take seriously.
Old 04-04-05, 09:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup
finally an M owner who I can respect.

Many of the members on FreshAlloy are too immature and biased to take seriously.
Yes, welcome to the forum ,& I actually like the M45 in many ways, & as I' ve said before, if I were in the market for these sedans right now, it's going to be a really tough choice between the M & the GS.

What bothers me are the trolls, many of which aren't even in the position to buy these sedans, & they just come here to stir things up as if what they say here will have any significant impact in the real world
Old 04-04-05, 09:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
What bothers me are the trolls, many of which aren't even in the position to buy these sedans, & they just come here to stir things up as if what they say here will have any significant impact in the real world
I highly agree with you on this.
Old 04-04-05, 09:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

How do u figure that a 5.0 M could only "at best " match a 4.6 GS, when a 4.5 M already beats a 4.3 GS?
Also, the 4.5 M has 335 horsepower, while the 4.3 GS only has 300 horsepower.. remember back in 2000?? when the 4.0 GS went up to 4.3?? The horsepower increase went from 300hp to uhhh, 300hp.. i doubt a 4.6liter using the same engine will have any more than 325 horsepower unless, like u say, they build a completely new engine... Having said that, the only reason why the M is only .2 seconds faster than the GS has to do with the weight difference between the two sedans.. the GS only weighs 3,748 lbs, while the M weighs 3,948 lbs, a difference of 200lbs...

and who says i hate Lexus? I'm a Lexus owner... but i'm not blinded by the truth.. and the truth is, that the new M is a better luxury sports sedan than the new GS..
As I said, the move from the 4.0 to 4.3 was just a displacement boost, and VVT-i added. It became a ULEV engine, but power didn't increase a whole lot (Torque increased a bit). The 4.6 V8 is going to be more than just a displacement boost, and more than just Dual VVT-i added. It will have Direct Injection, which boosts power and fuel economy considerably, as well as other changes no doubt. Again, I speculate it could be an all new V8 engine family, as the UZ is getting really dated. Either way, all reports say the engine will have at least 350HP, and more Torque. If it was a simple displacement bump, Toyota could have done it quickly and easily like they did bumping the MZ engines from 3 to 3.3. With that in mind, they could've put the bumped up engine into the 2005 LS and the 2006 GS, but they didn't. This hints at the idea that this engine will be a big boost and a significant change; possibly a new engine family which I think it very well may be.

The M45 beats the GS430 by a whisker in straight line speed, as I said. Even though you may feel it clearly beats the GS, it doesn't. The M45 may have firmer handling, or a firmer "sporty" ride, but that's all preference and perception, as the slalom times for both cars were pretty much equal. It makes perfect sense that the M45 is heavier, but only a tiny bit faster. I also heard somewhere the M's gearing is more aggressive, and not as smooth as the GS. Another thing to consider, the GS did not get a big performance improvement when moving to the 6 speed because it has a huge amount of electronics. This ultimately puts stress on the engine, and I think the gen 3 GS puts less power to the wheels than the Gen 2 because of that. In return,the Gen 3 performs slighly better than the Gen 2 overall thanks to the 6 speed.

I also won't beat a dead horse by arguing how much attention to detail the GS has compared to the M, and how the GS has VDIM, a huge advantage over the M in real world driving conditions.

In short, the M and GS are both good cars, they are both close enough to call it a draw. But seeing as we here are Lexus lovers and enthusiasts, most of us still prefer the GS. IF you want to be fair, the differences between the 2 mainly come down to preference, and personal opinion.
Old 04-04-05, 10:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

LiquidBlue:

Check your private messages please.
Old 04-04-05, 10:37 AM
highmiles
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Yes, welcome to the forum ,& I actually like the M45 in many ways, & as I' ve said before, if I were in the market for these sedans right now, it's going to be a really tough choice between the M & the GS.

Well said AmethySC. TMDS appears to be an exception to others who think that the GS vs M rivalry is some kind of College Poll as to who's number one. All of the cars in the Luxury Sedan class are exceptional automobiles. The differences are subtle and not nearly as clear and some (in the media or trolls on CL) make it out ot be.

We all have our reasons for which car suits us best. For me longevitiy is a key. I know that when I buy a Lexus I can try to drive the wheels off. However if I take good care of my car I will be rewarded with seveal years and a lot of miles of driving a car that drives after a couple of hundred thousand miles like it did the day I bought it.
Old 04-04-05, 11:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tmds
Hey, it's my car!

I saw a Flint Mica GS while I was out biking this morning. As an M owner, I've gotta say that I really like the looks of both. The M is more my style (obviously, since I bought one), but the GS has a terrific balance of sleek lines and overall shape. I especially like my new friend, the black 5% tinted GS you've included above. Is that a tinted windshield? Awesome! I feel like I'm already on thin ice with my 15% tint here in Los Angeles. Keeping my fingers crossed, so to speak.

Anyhow, these two cars trump everything else in the market, in my opinion. Every time I see a 5 series, I can't help but laugh and shake my head in disgust. Poor sukers. Oh sorry, I should be more civil. It's just hard not to laugh at someone who spends so much more for something so... uh... unpleasant to look at. I can't wait to see some more GSs and Ms on the road!

More photos for you guys. Hope you don't mind the M content on your GS forum!
I was hoping you found this Congrats on your car, the tint really looks good. Welcome to Clublexus as well.
Old 04-04-05, 11:46 AM
LexFather

You should also know that Infiniti is spelled with an "i", and not a "y".. but perhaps you didn't know
Read the rules, VVTi is a moderator. And his contributions to Clublexus cannot be typed, it would take up too much webspace.
Old 04-04-05, 11:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Awesome thread! 1Sick - the side by side pics are perfect, thanks! Black definitely makes both cars look their best I'd say.
Originally Posted by gs400998
1sicklex thanks for the pics. Both cars appear to have the same silhouette.
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Wow. Nice pics.

You really can't go wrong with either of these fine vehicles.
Your all quite welcome. Heck thank the owners.

Quick Reply: just compared M45 to GS430, and the winner is...