GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 09:05 PM
azmike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)

Does anyone have a solution for changing the DVD and/or Navigation so it will work when the vehicle is not parked?

Ideally, would prefer a SOCAL shop/person who could do this for me.
Old 03-19-05, 09:17 PM
YL06GS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done. I can give you all the info, if you want.

I also have the Wiring Diagram from Lexus if you want.

You can take it to a shop that you have experience with or tackle it yourself.
Old 03-19-05, 09:26 PM
Sportbiker

Originally Posted by YL06GS
I had mine done. I can give you all the info, if you want.

I also have the Wiring Diagram from Lexus if you want.

You can take it to a shop that you have experience with or tackle it yourself.

YL... can you make this public? The place or steps?
Old 03-19-05, 09:51 PM
Sportbiker

I just checked the wiring diagram (thanks to YL) and I see only 2 possible issues.

- The parking brake switch (yellow-black), which should be the extenal switch used for input
- The Park/Neutral Position Switch

Just not sure of what to do without a lot of tests, so any help would be appreciated
Old 03-19-05, 10:56 PM
relagustin
Driver School Candidate

Default I finished the mod today thanks to yl06gs' pdf

Here is some help on doing the override....
First, the wiring diagram helps a lot.
Second, both of the wires that need to be cut/tapped into are one one harness. (Harness is connected to the nav display. Which one? The one on closest to the steering wheel if you are from the front as if the stereo were invisible.
Third, The wire connected to the parking brake needs to be grounded. That wire is a yellow wire. I believe it is wire #23. Just cut and connect a wire that can be grounded to the mounting screws.
Fourth, You need to tap into the speed sensing wire. It is purple (#14 on the diagram). By disconnecting this, you lose the ability for the nav to use speed as a guidance, which causes it to get a little lost. So.....Put a switch on it! Cut the wire, add two extention wires and top off with a nice mountable switch.

This was a very easy mod and works great. All destination, phone, etc. functions work and Dvd plays whenever you want.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck!
Old 03-19-05, 11:20 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportbiker
I just checked the wiring diagram (thanks to YL) and I see only 2 possible issues.

- The parking brake switch (yellow-black), which should be the extenal switch used for input
- The Park/Neutral Position Switch

Just not sure of what to do without a lot of tests, so any help would be appreciated
That page of the "System Circuits" schematic does not show that the Y-B wire from the Parking Brake switch also feeds the "Body ECU" and "Skid Sensor." That is shown in the back of the manual in the overall circuit diagrams, page 3 section 4. So it might make a difference where the defeat switch is located. The Yellow wire into the Multi-display might be the better place, as it will not involve these other circuits. That's one of the reasons I'm hoping someone will explain how they made the mod, and if it induced any subtle side effects.
Old 03-19-05, 11:41 PM
YL06GS
Driver

relagustin-With your override can you input a address into NAV while moving?
Old 03-20-05, 12:06 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by relagustin
The wire connected to the parking brake needs to be grounded. That wire is a yellow wire. I believe it is wire #23. Just cut and connect a wire that can be grounded to the mounting screws.
Thanks for the details!

Just to clarify, it is the end of the wire tied to the display at 23 that needs to be grounded, right? The other end will remain free to float based on the setting of the parking brake switch. It might be useful to see if that line can actually still "pull up" in case the only pullup source was the display input at 23, as it might still be important while driving that the remaining circuit behaves as original. Don't want the skid sensor to do something silly. All this can be checked with a DC voltmeter.

If you install a 2 pole double throw switch, and use the other section to reconnect input 23 to the parking switch, rather than ground, then the system will be "factory stock" mode when the defeat is turned off. Then the dealer cannot detect it was modded (unless you forget to flip the switch), whereas otherwise it will still play a DVD on-screen when the parking brake is not set.

As a further investigation, it might be possible to keep the GPS happy with the SPD signal which normally passes thru the Display thru pin 13, shown on page 625. It means moving the Pink line at 13 over to the live side of the Purple wire that was cut on page 627.

Last edited by DrexLex; 03-20-05 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-20-05, 03:18 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrexLex
If you install a 2 pole double throw switch, and use the other section to reconnect input 23 to the parking switch, rather than ground, then the system will be "factory stock" mode when the defeat is turned off. Then the dealer cannot detect it was modded (unless you forget to flip the switch), whereas otherwise it will still play a DVD on-screen when the parking brake is not set.
I wouldn't bet on it. It is possible the blackbox or system control module detects things like this and they are stored as messages until service clears them.
Old 03-20-05, 09:56 AM
relagustin
Driver School Candidate

Default Dvd override

@yl- yes i can input addresses, phone numbers, poi etc.

@drexlex- if you look on the diagram, wire 23 is directly connected to the parking brake and nothing else. on the last few pages, the diagram shows the module controlling the safety features having their own sources direct to the modules. From past experience, lexus factory nav units and aftermarket navs have separate parking brake grounds, ie Lexus Lx mod. anyway, yellow wire 23, I cut about 2 inches off the harness input, extended it and grounded it. This way it assumes the parking brake is on at all times. I do not think lexus would disable any safety features if the parking brake were engaged (by mistake) while driving.
Old 03-20-05, 10:00 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Your warranties have just been voided....

The service department is a little too busy to look for tampering but if the Navigation System needed removing, surprise! I was mainly joking but let's be careful out there....Watching DVD's while driving is an offense so don't end up in court. Get the Limo tint too I guess....
Old 03-20-05, 12:13 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

@drexlex- if you look on the diagram, wire 23 is directly connected to the parking brake and nothing else.
If you look at page 434 of the manual, you will see the parking brake connecting to the Skid Control, but there is no hint that it also ties to the display. That's because page 434 is to help diagnose VDIM, and page 622 is for Navigation, Audio. Only once you see the complete interconnections of the junction boxes can you realize that there may be more going on. Cutting the yellow wire near the display makes the most sense as it isolates the display only, but cutting the yellow/black wire near the brake switch will not be electrically the same for VDIM, contrary to the implication on page 622. That's all I wanted to caution.
I cut about 2 inches off the harness input, extended it and grounded it. This way it assumes the parking brake is on at all times.
Yes, again, to clarify, the end of the yellow wire you grounded goes to the display, not the other end feeding backwards to the parking brake. That one remains floating. Right?
I do not think lexus would disable any safety features if the parking brake were engaged (by mistake) while driving.
Sometimes "parking brake" is known as emergency brake--or someone might use it in a panic situation. I can see why VDIM might like to know that. Cutting the wrong wire will block that info.
Old 03-20-05, 02:12 PM
relagustin
Driver School Candidate

@drexlex - Yes the yellow wire grounded goes to the display. The other wire feeding back to the parking brake just floats.

My disclosure.....
As Rockville pointed out, this mod should not be done (not safe and could void warranty.) I simple wanted to post feedback on my opinions of how this mod could be done for off road purposes. Hopefully it was helpful, but I agree that it shouldn't be done in the first place, but if it were...it should be done by a professional who understands the workings of the whole system. I did not post all of my research or exact step by step instructions, so folow with caution and a grain of salt. Make sure you do your own research beforehand and be careful.
Old 03-21-05, 08:04 AM
Baptizer
Driver School Candidate

To be honest with you, I am tempted to do this however it is not for my 'viewing pleasure'. I would do it so that my wife and/or kids could watch a movie, not me. If someone could pm me a wiring diagram, I would appreciate it and any other help!
Old 03-24-05, 09:35 PM
YL06GS
Driver

>>>>>>>>>>Bump<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Quick Reply: Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)