GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Parking Brake: Please tell me there is a dash release?

Old 03-14-05, 08:14 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Parking Brake: Please tell me there is a dash release?

Can't tell from the pics posted, and forgot to notice last Saturday when I visited the dealer and sat in a new GS:

I can see in the online pics in this forum that the brake is a step-on pedal. But god forbid, is it like the RX330 I have...you must step-to-release it? If so, I am going to be terribly disappointed.

I truly DESPISE the lack of a dash release or auto release on my new RX. Hate it. Because I live in hilly country, I use the parking brake a LOT. I never quite trust the park position on the tranny to hold such a heavy car on a hill. We've all felt our cars shift/move an inch or two after shifting into park and releasing the brake pedal; when in my downhill driveway, I always sense it puts an extra strain on the tranny if I don't also set the parking brake.

Thus, I hate to hafta feel around with my left foot and press to release the parking brake. Feel like I'm drivin' a *%&$ Chrysler or something. [That's where I first noticed this stupid press-to-release parking brake phenomenon...when they brought out their new 300 line]. Hell, why wouldn't Lexus include an auto release when you shift into a gear? Cadillac has had this since the last century. On my last GS, there was a handy DASH RELEASE. On my two previous coupes, the brake was an actual handle...which is my top choice. You could actually use it as an 'emergency' brake!

Am I the only person who finds the step-to-release an abomination, difficult to use, and cheap-feeling? Or am I the only person who actually uses this brake anymore? Do I need parking-brake therapy or something? Is it like gangsta rap, should I just accept it as "progress" and quit whining?
Old 03-14-05, 08:30 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I never realized Winston-Salem was so hilly.....

Yeah it's like your RX330 which is a push/push pedal. No room for handbrake levers inboard anymore. The space for a dash release is already taken by the "James Bond" drop down panel so I guess they just ran out of space really. I too use the parking brake even on level terrain. Since it is push/push you have to push fairly hard the first time so it holds well enough on an incline. The GS has the Cadillac trunk closer however......
Old 03-14-05, 08:42 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
Thus, I hate to hafta feel around with my left foot and press to release the parking brake.
I have gotten used to keeping my foot on the parking brake while pulling on the release lever anyway. I hate that "whack" sound when the parking brake pedal springs up without anything in its way. It really isn't that much work to get used to the position of the pedal when it's engaged.

The only downside I see push to lock, push again to release mechanism is that you can't easily use the parking brake to go into a drift. With the release lever, you could hold the lever pulled and vary your rear wheel braking force with the left foot.

But just for using it as a parking brake, I would rather have the push down to release mechanism as it saves me from reaching for the release lever.
Old 03-14-05, 08:58 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Less mechanial parts, less problems down the road. The push to lock parking brake is not really a bad idea. Here in CA, we have steeper hills to deal with, I don't see it as a problem with the 04 RX330 in our household.
Old 03-14-05, 09:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

dunno, guess i am just used to the current gs and the sc430, i sorta want the hand release. push in and out hand brakes are more for the suv imho. just my 2 cents though
Old 03-14-05, 12:40 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, i NEVER use my parking break unless i'm on a dramatic hill. even on my driveway i don't use my parking break. i always forget. oh boy.