GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

drove and checked out the gs300 today

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 12:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default drove and checked out the gs300 today

with my wife, at longo lexus. so you can take a WILD guess who i talked to (if by now you don't know the answer yet, you have to read the forum more )

anyway, the car is soooo damn nice... the interior is just insanely nice and sooo detail oriented. it's unbeatable. the exterior still leaves some food for thoughts. still we don't think the car looks as nice as the 2nd gen, i think the front starts to grow on me, but the reat still looks kinda weird. and among all the colors black was simply the ONLY one that we like. too bad it doesn't come with any grey interior.... we want the blackwood.

anyway, some high and low points about the whole car (i am being frank)

high:
1) the nav and camera are awesome
2) the led dome light is awesome
3) the rear pessenger led is just sick
4) the seats are major prop, crazy nice
5) the car is stupidly quiet
6) the dash is a piece of art

low:
1) gs3 is faster than before, but sorry, it's still kinda slow to me
2) the car is lacking tq when you punch it
3) the handling is better, but i wished for more
4) the steering is still too loose, not enough road feel

this is just a short list. overall i think it's a damn nice car. to be honet i think the interior alone can already make us want to get this car over our gs4. it's that nice!
Old 03-13-05, 01:36 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Henry,
I drove the new GS430 last Sunday, 3/6/05, at Lexus of Roseville. Definitely a nice car. Came equipped with the 18" Spider wheels, lip spoiler. VERY quiet, handling is better than the stock setup on the 2nd generation but not up to what can be achieved with aftermarket sways and chassis braces. Liked the novelty of the keyless entry and ignition. I was so busy concentrating on handling and performance, I didn't even mess with the Nav/ML sound system. Will have to go back to check those out. Liked the back-up camera view when in reverse. Brake pedal feel is definitely improved over the soft pedal of the GS 400. Liked the sliding arm rest and the clean appearance of the dash with all the controls hidden.
Old 03-13-05, 06:18 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

If you get black onyx as the color exterior, you can get all three color interiors, and thus blackwood is available.

It is actually rare to find one with grey interior, but it is available. Just talk to yoru dealer and he will locate it for you and have it for you in a matter of days.
Old 03-13-05, 09:17 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Rare to find Ash interior w/Black? What are you talking about Longo has plenty of those. I was there the day Rominl was there too.
Old 03-13-05, 09:53 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Rare to find Ash interior w/Black? What are you talking about Longo has plenty of those. I was there the day Rominl was there too.
I'm a little surprised to hear that. I have been looking at the dealer's delivery sheets for all (10?) states in the western region (I'm in N CA), and zero were black with ash, let alone a 430. I have ordered it with the standard "full boat" equipment like the others, and it is confirmed for build by the factory. If one comes on the boat earlier I will have access to it, but as of last week, none were listed that I saw.

Can anyone confirm an actual delivery of a Black/Ash GS430 in Ca?
Old 03-13-05, 10:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Can anyone confirm an actual delivery of a Black/Ash GS430 in Ca?
Hmmm forgot to mention this was on GS300. GS430s at Longo are all sold as they arrive from the port. I've seen one Black on Black GS430 delivered, and it's to the GM of Longo.
Old 03-13-05, 10:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
with my wife, at longo lexus. so you can take a WILD guess who i talked to (if by now you don't know the answer yet, you have to read the forum more )
How did it take you so long to finally check out the new GS ? There aren't any Lexus dealers in NoCal? or you have to wait til you can get to Longo even just to check it out What loyalty

I have seen the new GS now in white, black, silver & Flint Mica, & I think it looks the best in Flint. Quartz Shadow is very close to Flint but with a tint of plum judging by the color palette, I think it should be awesome too, can't wait for an opportunity to see one in person.

The GS300AWD I test drove has the grey interior, but I would go with the black if I were to get this car.Yes this car gets much better when you actually see it in person, touch it, feel it, & drive it, than in seeing pictures.

I did drove the M35X & it feels sportier & has less body lean in cornering, but the GS handles good enough for most normal driving & is definitely an improvement over the previous. M35 's interior is a big improvement for an Infiniti but I think GS still has an edge in quality & refinement in the details, although it may look a little stark for some people.
Old 03-13-05, 10:41 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Rominl,

It is always a pleasure to have you and your wife stop by Longo Lexus. You guys were so impressed with the car that we almost forgot to experiment with the Mark Levinson too! I was just about to park it, remember? So much to look at on the new GS, it's overwhelming.

As for the Black with Ash/Blackwood, my old production sheet shows that no GS430's were made with that combo so you would have to order one and wait a few months to get it. Then again, most dealerships do not have any GS430's in stock anyway. The GS300 did have 5 built, yes that's only 1.2% of the ENTIRE build. If there is enough demand for the Black with Ash, Lexus will "up" the production. In the past, I guess they figured that if one wants a "grey" interior, then they would be okay with the "black". But we didn't have all these great wood color choices back then.
My suggestion is for everyone who is truly interested in buying a Black/Ash, voice your preference to your local dealership and if enough customers say something, then things can be changed.
Old 03-14-05, 01:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh i forgot one thing, which is a BIG low for me AND my wife (we noticed that almost the first thing when we drove the car)

the brakes on the gs300 is pretty bad..... it has no power.... on our sc430 the brakes are pretty touchy, and same on my is300. but when i drove the gs300 off the lot, i pressed on the brakes and i had to press quite a bit to stop the car. it was kinda scary...

i know the gs430 has much bigger and powerful brakes. i will need to check that one out.

imho, i don't care how fast i can go, if i can't stop the car the way i want it
Old 03-14-05, 01:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
If you get black onyx as the color exterior, you can get all three color interiors, and thus blackwood is available.

It is actually rare to find one with grey interior, but it is available. Just talk to yoru dealer and he will locate it for you and have it for you in a matter of days.
well, just like longo lexus said, it's possible, it's on lexus.com, but so far production shows none. i do hope they have black on ash, it's going to be very nice

and it's just like sc430. on lexus.com you can make white on black no problem. but in reality there is NONE made, at lesat for the western regions
Old 03-14-05, 01:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
How did it take you so long to finally check out the new GS ? There aren't any Lexus dealers in NoCal? or you have to wait til you can get to Longo even just to check it out What loyalty

I have seen the new GS now in white, black, silver & Flint Mica, & I think it looks the best in Flint. Quartz Shadow is very close to Flint but with a tint of plum judging by the color palette, I think it should be awesome too, can't wait for an opportunity to see one in person.

The GS300AWD I test drove has the grey interior, but I would go with the black if I were to get this car.Yes this car gets much better when you actually see it in person, touch it, feel it, & drive it, than in seeing pictures.

I did drove the M35X & it feels sportier & has less body lean in cornering, but the GS handles good enough for most normal driving & is definitely an improvement over the previous. M35 's interior is a big improvement for an Infiniti but I think GS still has an edge in quality & refinement in the details, although it may look a little stark for some people.
well, to be honest, i dont' want to waste time with any other dealerships except longo. yes i know this is pretty extreme and maybe even biased, but i just dont' feel motivated. i missed the production release date (2/15) by 2 days otherwise i would have looked at the car that day

so i couldn't schedule a time with longo lexus (elizabeth) until this past weekend (for real, going 350 miles away for a test drive!), so that's the best i could do. i always want to be able to really spend time on the car, checking out everything, testing out everything, driving all i want all without someone bothering me or saying something i don't want to hear.

with all that said, elizabeth is the only salesperson so far who really knows what i need and want. she talks when she needs to. she put things the way i like it (like by switching on the pwr botton before i sat in the car. yes eliz, i noticed that!) so i felt like home. i want that experience to compliment the nice car

about the color andrew, sorry, but me and my wife we don't feel anything about the flint at all. we think it looks pretty bad! on the ls430 it's ok, but on the gs it's just weird. dunno, guess we are old, black is good enough

i hope elizabeth doesn't cry when she reads this post
Old 03-14-05, 01:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus
Rominl,

It is always a pleasure to have you and your wife stop by Longo Lexus. You guys were so impressed with the car that we almost forgot to experiment with the Mark Levinson too! I was just about to park it, remember? So much to look at on the new GS, it's overwhelming.

As for the Black with Ash/Blackwood, my old production sheet shows that no GS430's were made with that combo so you would have to order one and wait a few months to get it. Then again, most dealerships do not have any GS430's in stock anyway. The GS300 did have 5 built, yes that's only 1.2% of the ENTIRE build. If there is enough demand for the Black with Ash, Lexus will "up" the production. In the past, I guess they figured that if one wants a "grey" interior, then they would be okay with the "black". But we didn't have all these great wood color choices back then.
My suggestion is for everyone who is truly interested in buying a Black/Ash, voice your preference to your local dealership and if enough customers say something, then things can be changed.
eliz,

what else can i say except thank you? you knew clearly that i am not going to purchase this car right now, but you still spent all the time (i think over an hour) explaining all the details to me and my wife, and let us drove the car around. that's just incredible.

and thanks for putting in the request for me, eliz (shhh........!)
Old 03-14-05, 02:24 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Talking

Gosh, Henry, thanks for the kudos! I didn't think you saw me try to sneak the on button for the ECT. Anytime you and Ritsa are in the 'hood, please stop by to say hi.
Old 03-14-05, 04:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus

Gosh, Henry, thanks for the kudos! I didn't think you saw me try to sneak the on button for the ECT. Anytime you and Ritsa are in the 'hood, please stop by to say hi.
attention to details is what count most imho (on an already good thing), so you never know what i am paying attention on
Old 03-14-05, 04:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
. . . about the color andrew, sorry, but me and my wife we don't feel anything about the flint at all. we think it looks pretty bad! on the ls430 it's ok, but on the gs it's just weird. dunno, guess we are old, black is good enough
It's OK if you like black , most cars look good in black You equate black = old ? I think more so for Chardonnay Pearl.

Quick Reply: drove and checked out the gs300 today