GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Guess whats in the new Car and Driver?

Old 03-09-05, 10:30 AM
LexFather

Car and Driver is my favorite and only large USA mag I get. Honestly, they are very fare to Lexus as they have always fared very well in comparisons. Lastly the LS 430 won 1st and the IS was 4th in its comparo and the 2GS 300 was 4th in its last comparo. Honestly, there was a span of damn near 5 years where Lexus won or placed 2nd in every comparo. It was amazing. And the GS was a 10 best winner 3 times and the SC was a 10 best winner 6 times I believe.

Rockville is on the money again

Old 03-09-05, 10:57 AM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah i'm not a fan of this latest issue of C/D, they bashed the 05 4Runner in an SUV comparo.
Wow, to not like a certain issue of a magazine because they didn't favor a particular product of your liking...
Now that gets you a from me.

That is the purest definition of the word "fanboy."
Old 03-09-05, 11:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by psteng19
Wow, to not like a certain issue of a magazine because they didn't favor a particular product of your liking...
Now that gets you a from me.

That is the purest definition of the word "fanboy."
We're all entitled to opinions here. Obviously i'm only stating my opinion on the article, not the magazine as a whole. You're entirely entitled to your opinion is of me as you've only been here for a short period of time...and have yet to add anything of pertinent value to our community based on the 10 whole posts you've made in the past . Call me what you want, i've explained my issues above.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-09-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-09-05, 11:33 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

This is really for another thread but C/D has usually been anti Toyota with comparisons historically. The only positive recent review was for the LS430, but if you look at past comparisons of other vehicles/platforms, Toyota was always placed mid pack or last, contrary to what MT, R&T, Automobile, and etc reported.
Yes, it is for another thread - however, Toyota driving dynamics are rarely what a Honda or a German car are and to C&D (and Autoweek) that is normally very important. Other rags tend to value this differently and thus the different ratings.
Old 03-09-05, 12:52 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I was angry at Car and Driver also for the 4runner but oh well.I subcribe to 4 car magazines and C&D always kisses Honda's ***(BMW too but that's another story).In a recent issue,they tested a Acura RL AWD and liked it but gave way more negative feedback,then a few months laterI see the damn car in C&D Best 10 List....WTF??
Old 03-09-05, 01:09 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, C&D likes Honda and BMW because they offer sportier handling/rides than their nearest competition.

This article actually summed up exactly what I thought of the car after a 30 min. test drive. I was impressed by the little body roll and cornering flatness, which is what the article mentioned, but there was no passion whatsoever invoked on my part. Of course, I felt the same after test driving the M45, but that was a little more exciting, probably in part because of the larger engine. The GS300 AWD I test drove had little power or pull for its size, and the ride was firmer than a normal Lexus ride but yet not quite what I had in mind for a "sporty drive." It's like they wanted to make the car sporty, so they made the suspension rougher (granted, the car did have run-flats, which don't help in that department), but yet it was still a bit mushy/luxury oriented.

I didn't mention my test drive earlier because of the mostly negative feelings I had afterwards, but I don't know if it's isolated to Lexus in this regards. I feel like the latest generation of cars are too computerized for my tastes. Handling in an objective sense might be improved, but something is missing from the fun factor. Automagic tranny-only doesn't enhance the drive feel either...

The last paragraph of the article is perfect, though. "All told, the GS300 AWD provides a driving experience that's exactly what we've come to expect from Lexus: creamy, competent, and quiet, augmented by beautiful interior appointments and celestial sound. None of that adds up to passion, at least to us. But for most prospective buyers, that won't matter." Hit the nail on the head dead on.
Old 03-09-05, 01:16 PM
LexFather

It seems the article Flip is talking about, the Jeep Cherokee basically won b/c of the Hemi and its faster. The main reasons people buy SUVs I haven't read yet, just saw it on another forum

Old 03-09-05, 01:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by robloc93
I was angry at Car and Driver also for the 4runner but oh well.I subcribe to 4 car magazines and C&D always kisses Honda's ***(BMW too but that's another story).In a recent issue,they tested a Acura RL AWD and liked it but gave way more negative feedback,then a few months laterI see the damn car in C&D Best 10 List....WTF??
My sentiments exactly!
Old 03-09-05, 02:03 PM
LexFather

I have an even better one. WHen the TSX cam out, the reviwerer called it a "Maxima clone" and "An utter failure at being a BMW copy". The article was not in favor of it.

Next thing, the car suddenly makes the 10 best list as well. It was a total reversal of opinion. Had many like even on the Acura forums. But they like Accords, its another Accord, so it means 10 best list staple.

Old 03-09-05, 02:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Next thing, the car suddenly makes the 10 best list as well. It was a total reversal of opinion. Had many like even on the Acura forums. But they like Accords, its another Accord, so it means 10 best list staple.
Don't forget the Accord Euro-R aka TSX.
Old 03-09-05, 02:15 PM
LexFather

Don't forget the Accord Euro-R aka TSX.
Yeah, I was saying they like the Accord, not our Accord but the Euro Accord, which is an Accord but called a Acura TSX here. I think the Accord (our Accord, well they both are now ours) made in American has been on the list 20 times or so. Rightfully, its a good car and according to them sportier than other family sedans.

What the heck was this thead about?

Old 03-09-05, 03:49 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Ok guys one more, Remember how much praisal they gave the Sienna,even more than the Odyssey?Well wouldn't you know, who made it to the Best 10 list.....yup the damn Odyssey.
Old 03-09-05, 04:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Ok guys one more, Remember how much praisal they gave the Sienna,even more than the Odyssey?Well wouldn't you know, who made it to the Best 10 list.....yup the damn Odyssey.
Do you guys really read the mag? C&D picked the Odyssey (the OLD ONE!) over the new Sienna in a comparo test not too long ago

The 10 best is basically any new or highly modified car along with the previous winners from the past year. Turns out the TSX and Accord just so happen to be incredible cars when compared with the others. Remember, once the Camry gets knocked off, they have to change it extensively to get back on. So even adding the 3.3 won't help - keep this in mind when looking at the 10 Best.

Basically I'm shocked that you guys get upset when one of your beloved Toyota's or Lexus' does not make the cut or is rated low. Personally, I want a magazine to be objective and that's what I think C&D is. Remember, they are Car and DRIVER.
Old 03-09-05, 04:06 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Okay to get back on topic,heres a quick scan of the article:

Old 03-09-05, 04:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by doug_999
Do you guys really read the mag?
Yes, i've had a subscription for about 12 years now along w/Motor Trend and R&T.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guess whats in the new Car and Driver?