GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Avalon and GS relationship

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 06:33 AM
amwendwa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Avalon and GS relationship

Hello Comrades,
What is the relationship between the Toyota Avolon and the Lexus GS series. The Avalon is very GSeque or vice versa. Just curious.

Cheers
GS3.0.02
Old 02-25-05, 07:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

They're both Toyota's.

Avalon is FWD platform related to the Camry, whereas GS has it's own RWD platform. The future GS350 should share the 3.5 litre V6 with the new Avalon, but likely tuned differently.
Old 02-25-05, 07:09 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Does the avalon limited come with more than one wood trim combination like the GS?
Old 02-25-05, 07:29 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

The avalon is probably goign to get motor trendf car of the year. It will beat the pants out of the ES330. Doesnt make sense to get an es330 when u can get an avalon limited starting at like 34K very well equipped. And its got more horsepower and feels luxurious ad comforting. The wood is simulated whicvh makes it look cheap but thats about it though. Its got so much **** in there - exactly like the GS, in fact almost most of the limiteds amenities are the same as the new GS. Maybe not the same grade level, but they are there. Are there more than one wood trim combination avaiable for the limited avalon?
Old 02-25-05, 09:40 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Win/Win for Toyota/Lexus

The Chairman of Toyota can't lose if this is what people end up purchasing. The Avalon is not really related to the GS Architecture at all but this is a common misconception. It is a great value in its recent incarnation. The only thing missing is the fine treatment you get at your Lexus dealership. JD Powers has consistently ranked Lexus as number 1 and Toyota a few notches down at about 5 or 6 which is not bad either. Lexus gives longer warranties and free roadside assistance for 4 years unlimited miles. Lexus has better coffee/cappuccino too! The Avalon is the first Toyota/Lexus to use the new 3.5 liter V6. The new IS350 will have a lot more Horsepower with its exotic head and valvetrain setup. The '07 ES350 and RX350 will be the next Lexus to use the new engine in the more conventional VVT-i set up. This is going to be a Vintage year for Toyota/Lexus.
Old 03-01-05, 04:33 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Im going to make my own jugment about the 2006 GS, 2005 ES and 2005 avalon.

The maxima, G35, are not going to hurt avalon sales. Those cars ont even come close to offering the kind of amenitiy and comfort the avalon brings though. Putting everything together, the avalon will kill its competition and make others consider it as the best alternative to an ES330, which is the value priced best entry level luxury sedan right now. Deciding between the ES and the avalon is an easy one... the es330 makes u get into an entry level sedan. The avalon limited, better equipped and more power and just far out better value priced, will instead make the buyer step into a much larger level sedan for what it offers, and simply has a hell lot more bang for the buck. Id get it over the es330 anyday!

The 2005 avalon does share the same amenities and features as the 2006 GS, for substantially less, which makes sense off course. Its simply a bargain to buy the avalon over the GS, but make no mistake. A lexus is a lexus is a lexus and a toyota is a toyota is a toyota. That doesnt mean toyota is shy t . Toyota is the parent company and lexus is its sbsidiary. Both cas are headed from japan, although this avalon will be primairly manufactured in the US. Kentucky to be exact. Anyways. The Avalon is a remarkable car for starting at 33K with its limited edition. The difference you pay for in the GS is the name brand, the service, and the interior and external cosmetic appeal, which si well worth it in the eyes of people who buy Lexus vehicles. The materials are super high quality grade and the apointment in interior is no comparison to others. But you have to understand, you cant simply say the avalon is total BS car because it isnt.

This leads me into my comparison with the ES and the avalon. The ES is probably the BEST midsize entry level sedan. In fact, before the avalon came out, i was firmly believe the fact that this was the car to buy at about 32-33K dolalrs for how it is equipped, the value, and the buld quality this car carries. I mean come on, its a LEXUS. I didnt think there was much of a choice between getting into an entry level sedan which delivers comfort and luxury liek the ES gives for soemoen digging into the low 30s to get a luxury car. It by far is the BEST value.....at the time the avalon was never in the marketplace. Now i believe the story is different. The avalon is goign to capture that same marketplace who want to step to a luxury sedan, and frankly speakign between the ES and avalon, the avalon is a more spacious and longer vehicle. Its got the same nice lengthy and sporty luxury look. The amenities inside a limited are way mroe than what you find in a base ES. You are ogign to spend the same amoutn of money, but the vehicle delivered - the avalon - will be a far superios value for its offerings and features. Like i said, the materials in the ES will be higher quality....theres a more plush interior in the ES...well no - between the avalon and ES interior, both interiors are worthy of being considered a very VERY nice apointment. (comparing the GS with the avalon interior is no compariosn...just looking at it you cant say the GS is just gorgeous) Between the ES and avalon, its not as easy.
Rear reclinign seats, wood grain interior with whifter and sterirng wood apointed, perforated leather seats, ventilated seats, jbl synthesis sound system, Push butotn ignition and smart acces!!!, 280hp. New V6 engine dual VVT-I with ECT-i (JUST LIEK THE NEW GS!), a tranny that is extremely smooth and effortless close to the new GS, and other standard features that blow out the ES330. People that are lookign to get into a luxury sedan withouht dishing out dollars in the 40s+, dont have to at all anymore. Like i said, the ES as a sedan was probably the best vehicle to get into for low 30's and after all it was a LEXUS TOO!!!, but also your options wre limited if you wanted to stay within30-34K instead of climbing to a fully loaded at 38-39K. Now, the choice is very clear. The avalon is the ticket. A ride smooth similar to that of the GS, the comfort and luxury of a luxury sedan, the power of a true luxury sport sedan, the look of an LS size sedan with an aggresive twist to its styling shaped cues. The price - absolutely incredible! at 33k! as a BASE vehicle., and with what you get, why would you get an ES? i defnitely wouldnt. And make no mistake, it is not grandpa's car either. Watch out because you will see young people and older ppl driving this vehicle. The trims, and model choices they offer are goign to attact markets of varying demographics, which is a plus for the company

It is quite frankly the best luxury sedan in the market to buy withouth comprimising, quality, value, comfort, luxury, convenience, physical styling appeal, and above all - PRICE - at under 35K. You are probably looking at sticker for the next 4 months. Who would have thought? a toyta selling for sticker. Id pay for it. Its well worth that and more for what it gives you and offers.

No luxury sedan in the market will be able to compete as well as the new Avalon limited. Japanese cars are defnitely he best vehicles on the road. Look at the Accord and Camry...best sellign cars in the US. Ths Us market is predemonietlay american...but they are buying more of the Japanese cars. Why? Yah the japaense dont have german engineering, they just have a BETTER car - a better overall value. The avalon is no exception. It is a superbly built car, crafted very well at calty design lab. Its astonighisnly not as high price as i had expected it to from pre-release specs and etc. You are probably looking at motor trends car of the year. Some of you may laugh, but time will tell.

Its defnitely the : "Next phenomenon from Toyota"
Old 03-01-05, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by amwendwa
Hello Comrades,
What is the relationship between the Toyota Avolon and the Lexus GS series. The Avalon is very GSeque or vice versa. Just curious.

Cheers
GS3.0.02
There are none truly. The Avalon is designed for America only, by Americans, and built by Americans. The GS is built in Japan, for the world market and neither share anything obvious.

akbergq's review is on point. Truly, if you don't care about badges, there is no reason to buy anything but an Avalon. Honestly. It will be a perfect car for most people. The image is not there (sport), of course looks divide people and it is a "yota" but in all honesty, STARTING at 26k to 35k loaded, nothing comes close.
0-60 is 6.5 and 1/4 mile is 14.9 in motor trend! So it is not lacking in acceleration at all.

Its competition can be from the Acura TL/RL to Lexus ES to Buick whatever to Nissan Maxima to Chevy Impala to Caddy Deville etc etc. Its really a segment buster.akbergq, great review.

Rockville is right, 2006 is going to be a helluva year for Toyota/Lexus.
Old 03-01-05, 06:11 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Thanks sick for the compliment!

Jus sharing my 2 cents. I really believe the avalon is one amazing car. People will see their choice very clearly.

Its the perfect car for almost every age demographic. People between 23-50 will all love the avalon. The model offerings all have something for each target group! Fromt he base model, to the ultra luxurious limited. Its crafted very tastefully to appeal to most of the prime age drivers looking for a handsomely styles and rewarding vehicle. Above all, you cannot beat the price! What else do you want?!?!

Toyota and Lexus own 2005-2006!

My uncle works for toyota. I can get invoice pricing on this car! Somethign hard to believe and is not happening out there - but its true. The price for a base limited would be about $31,500-32,000 including all taxes and fees driveout) - getting this car for that much...you can probably put it on ebay and make a couple of thousand dollars easily on the spot on this brand new car. Im really thinking of also buying the limited to keep.

The avalon is probably goign to be motor trends car of the year. I talked to a few of my automobile maniacs/experts/whizzes/geniuses/veterans in the industry....lol whatever you wanna call these highly experted analysts who happen to work in the industry. All of them agreed on the avalon being the car of the year. It would be quite a surprise to see anyone else take the throne.

If there was import motor trend car of the year, the GS is sittign atop!
Old 03-01-05, 09:39 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I'm just curious about the hp on the avalon 280hp, and GS330 245hp does that mean the avalon out runs the GS330?
Old 03-01-05, 11:50 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
I'm just curious about the hp on the avalon 280hp, and GS330 245hp does that mean the avalon out runs the GS330?
horsepower isn't all.

and the Avalon is also marketed in Australia...
Old 03-01-05, 11:59 PM
LexFather

We don't have any magazine numbers for the GS 300 yet (lexus said 6.8) but the Avalon should outrun it some.
Old 03-02-05, 02:35 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

akbergq's comparison is valid but (hopefully for Lexus) not for too long. The ES is reasonably far along in its product cycle whereas the Avalon is new and a more or less clean sheet design. So there's a little bit of apples to oranges in comparing one to another except regarding the price point. And I see that as a bit of a mistake for T/L since the new A will no doubt cannibalize sales from the current ES (lemme see: bigger, faster, more interior room, Optitrons, a VERY Lexus-like interior, and close to the same price but no L badge.........that's gonna leave a mark on Lexus' forehead, for sure). Even dropping the 3.5L into the current ES won't prevent all of that.

Either Lexus Financial Services is going to have to write some incredible lease deals (thereby losing money) or Lexus is going to loose ES buyers/leasers fast (thereby losing money). So either T/L has to move up the next gen ES or watch the ES tank!! And the price point will STILL have to move up, tho that's not too much of a surprise since the IS has freed up ES to be the mini-me of the LS, rather than trying to be the sort of halfwit sports sedan/luxury sedan it was positioned as initially.

Great writeup, akbergq!!

Last edited by mooretorque; 03-02-05 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 09:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
horsepower isn't all.

and the Avalon is also marketed in Australia...
And Japan as the Pronard.
Old 03-02-05, 10:03 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

i fully agree with mooretorque. The es330 sales will start falling very shortly once the avalon is fully out in the market with vehicles in about a good 2 months. Funny how the ES330 are now being sold at invoice or a few hundred below invoice! And its onyl been out for what 3-4 months? They are very well aware of the potential of the new avalon. They better get some incredible lease or finance rates going on this vehicle to keep their ES sales running, becasue in due time Lexus will end up devouring themselves.

Either way you look at it, lexus is owned by toyota. With the new IS, avalon, and the new GS as three absolutely incredible vehicles (well the IS im not too "woohoo" about), toyota owns 2005-2006!
Old 03-02-05, 10:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
And Japan as the Pronard.
Avalon in Japan eh ? If I live in Japan, why would I want an American made Avalon when there are different versions of the Toyata Crown available or do some Japanese actually fancy American made Toyota's just because it's an import ?

Quick Reply: Avalon and GS relationship