GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 09:16 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

it can be a very handsome car in darker colors.
Like this one from lexus.com
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?-gs2006.jpg  
Old 03-06-05, 10:17 AM
gekisai29
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

overall its areal nicecarplus awd is important in the ne if you commute by auto. unfortunately it is not ahands down value leader to yhe extent that there is no competition for it in the mid lux awd segment
Old 03-06-05, 11:44 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I think the 3rd gen is nice, but it didn't blow me away like the 2nd gen did. I think that's what some of us were expecting from the car, a repeat of 98. Whenever I see the new GS I think it looks nice. Period. I've seen it in pictures and in person, and I like the new details, but it doesn't blow me away in the looks department. And the top engine choice, it didn't blow me away like the 2nd gen did. There were few, if any, sport sedans in 1998 with 300 hp. Now 300 hp is the norm, Lexus should have tried to up the ante as Infiniti did with the M45. If the new GS could run the 1/4 mile in the 13s, I'd be blown away. Back in 98 when the 2nd gen came out the magazines raved about the brakes and the handling being on par with a Corvette. Well, the Vette has moved on and I don't see anyone raving about how this big sedan handles (although I do like the adjustable suspension). So, I was expecting more from the new GS. The competition moved forward and the new GS didn't leapfrog them like it did in 98.

But, the new GS is not out of the question in my book. I think the interior looks fabulous. I love the gauges. The center stack looks very upscale. And the fit and finish is miles above the competition. However, it's the whole package that I was looking for, not just a great exterior and a so so interior, or a so so exterior and a great interior.

One new car that provides the best of both worlds is the new IS. It's a more sporty rendition of the new Lexus style with the short overhangs that are reminiscent of the 2nd gen GS. The interior is pretty nice too, though not as nice as the new GS. When I saw the new pics of it I was nearly blown away. When I showed them to my girlfriend she fell in love with it. It comes with nearly all the bells and whistles of the new GS yet costs less and it is supposed to be pretty powerful. I believe Lexus came up with a winner with the new IS. I can't wait to see the road tests and comparisons.
Old 03-06-05, 03:25 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just briefly checked out the new GS300 RWD at the dealer today. It looks just like the pictures. I've always thought over all it was nice, but just never really liked the rear end much. Nothing I can't live with though. I heard people say it has more presence in person, but I have to admit it pretty muched looked the same in person as it does in pictures. Maybe it was because it all had the standard 17" rims as opposed to the 18" option rims. The steering wheel looked like the same one I have in my RX330. Another thing I took note of was the price. The GS300 RWD was selling for $46K and change and this is with no navigation. This is where Lexus needs to step up. I realize that not everyone offers navigation in Hawaii, but Acura does for the 05 year and I wish Lexus would step up and offer navigation as well. I'm not sure if it had the ML or not. Over all it is a car I wouldn't mind owning, but not a car I have to own. I may change my mind once I see what the aftermarket does with this car though. I tend to modify my cars, so it they come out with some nice aftermarket parts it may be worth it.
Old 03-06-05, 04:44 PM
merlin70
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally saw it in person today too. I don't know what it is, this car just doesn't do it for me. It just isn't a "gotta have it" type of feeling, especially for the higher prices now. I think the profile looks pretty good, with the long arch of the roof into the short trunk lid. But the back and front views are pretty plain.

IMHO, the hot buy is a 2001-2002 430. You can get them now with say 25-40k miles for around $30k to maybe $35k at most. You will have an identical engine to the 06 430, and you will have an extra $30k in your pocket. You will get decent looks and decent interior. The only thing you give up is a gear in the tranny and some new tech toys.

The other option is the new IS. Looks pretty hot and should be a lot cheaper than the GS. Plus since it will no doubt be lighter, depending on the final engine offerings it could give a 06 430 a real run for the money.

Maybe since Lexus has been talking about the next GS for about two years now we all expected too much?
Old 03-08-05, 01:31 AM
dandada2000v6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shogun
Personally - I love the way the new GS looks and I think it will age gracefully over the next 6 years.

Looks aside, I would have a difficult time buying the new GS based on styling alone. I have a 300Hp Lexus that is paid for and I want to spend $50K for another Lexus with 300Hp? No, I don't think so. For me, that equates to a lot of $$$ and/or ego lubricant for simply the benefit of a new "look".

I'm out of the GS market until there is a significant performace advantage over my current GS - I'm guessing 400Hp is going to be the number that motivates me. When the GS came out in 1998 it set a new performance threshold - that's what got me excited about the car. To me, "looks" must be a given to even enter the game. If it looks good, then performance is my next measure. The new GS, with no doubt in my mind is a stunning car, but line up next to an old 400/430 at a stoplight or on the highway and $50K doesn't buy you thing except "looking good". I'm getting to old for that or just maybe the benefits of that $50K are more important elsewhere in my life.

I think Lexus missed a real opportunity to seize upon what they did in '98.

Eric

Wow eric, you took the words right out of my mouth...I own a 1998 gs4 which is paid off, I am also disappointed with the new third gen. The only things the new gs has going for it is the lexus name, and that its the newest model. And thats about it.....The design is O.K. at best. I could not believe when i heard that the same old *** 300Hp engine was going to be in the new GS. What does Lexus take us for, a bunch of suckers??? I mean...the 2005 6mt G35 has a 300 V6 in it for crying out loud. Not to mention that it looks 10 times better. The lexus is the slowest car in its class now.....The Q45 has a 340 HP V8, and the 5 series has 325 hp v8. Many people say that the design will grown on you, but I don't think so...I think Lexus needs to start taking some notes from Nissan/infinity. I like Lexus, But I'm not about to go out and let them hustle me with this new 3rd gen junk.....Like Eric said, I have much better things to spend my 50k on....Like a 2002 BMW 745i for instance
Old 03-08-05, 02:56 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 6 speed transmission makes a huge difference between the two vehicles. There's now power at every turn and when in power mode, the transmission responds very quickly. When in normal mode you can't find anything silkier.

I also find the throttle control (now electronic) to be much more responsive as well.
Old 03-08-05, 09:57 AM
wilassasin
Driver

When I 1st Saw The '06 Gs I Too Was Dissapointed, Bu Tthen That Changed When I Went 2 The Lexus Dealer Yesterday And Saw A Flint Mica Gs430, I Also Saw An All Wheel Drive Gs300 And I Have To Say That Both Looked Very Nice. The Gs430 With The Factory Wheels In My Opinion Looks Much Better Than The Gs300. I Also Went To The Bmw Dealer And I Have To Say That Bmw Has Came Along With Their New Luxury Interior! This Year It Will Be A Tough Decision On Which One I Purchase Being That The 530 Is Upping From 225 To 255hp In May! Final Analysis The Bmw 5 Series Has Pretty Much Every Option The Gs Has Other Than The Camera, But Is More Expensive But One May Not Mind Considering The Car. However, The Gs Is Like Home To Me, Its Very Reliable, And Does Have More Body To It Than The 5 Series...i Just Cant Decide
Old 03-08-05, 03:29 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wilassasin
When I 1st Saw The '06 Gs I Too Was Dissapointed, Bu Tthen That Changed When I Went 2 The Lexus Dealer Yesterday And Saw A Flint Mica Gs430, I Also Saw An All Wheel Drive Gs300 And I Have To Say That Both Looked Very Nice. The Gs430 With The Factory Wheels In My Opinion Looks Much Better Than The Gs300. I Also Went To The Bmw Dealer And I Have To Say That Bmw Has Came Along With Their New Luxury Interior! This Year It Will Be A Tough Decision On Which One I Purchase Being That The 530 Is Upping From 225 To 255hp In May! Final Analysis The Bmw 5 Series Has Pretty Much Every Option The Gs Has Other Than The Camera, But Is More Expensive But One May Not Mind Considering The Car. However, The Gs Is Like Home To Me, Its Very Reliable, And Does Have More Body To It Than The 5 Series...i Just Cant Decide
Dude, lose the capitalization on every word - makes it very hard to read.
Old 03-10-05, 03:36 PM
LEX2K2
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm Highly dissapointed in the 3rd Gen GS nd Lexus.

Fello members,

IMHO, I feel we are being led along by Toyota/Lexus. Toyota/Lexus makes so many performance products for Toyota (TRD). And for us? SQUAT!!! I have a 99 GS400. A great car, it really is! I love it. I hate the fact that there is so little available in terms of performance upgrades. No Headers, camshafts or aftermarket intake manifolds. JBrady tried to help, thanks.
still nothing. Toyota/Lexus should licence their R&D info to the aftermarket industry. It would really help the sales of Lexus vehicles, New and Used. I'm going to keep my GS400. However I will not purchase a Gen3 GS. Instead, I will buy a M5 or a E55. Even Cadillac is stepping up to the plate with performance/luxury options. Check out the Cadillac V-Series. It is embarrasing, we have been let down. Having a Gen3 GS is like having a supermodel for a wife, that spends little time with you in the bedroom. And most of her time at a dinner party. Give me the M5 or the E55. She cost more. But, Damn can she perform. And please don't say that a M5 or E55 costs more. If you can afford a new Lexus, chances are you can afford a M5 or a E55. To those concerned with reliability, go buy a camry. I truly believe that we have fallen victim to "design obsolescence."
Old 03-10-05, 06:19 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEX2K2
Fello members,

IMHO, I feel we are being led along by Toyota/Lexus. Toyota/Lexus makes so many performance products for Toyota (TRD). And for us? SQUAT!!! I have a 99 GS400. A great car, it really is! I love it. I hate the fact that there is so little available in terms of performance upgrades. No Headers, camshafts or aftermarket intake manifolds. JBrady tried to help, thanks.
still nothing. Toyota/Lexus should licence their R&D info to the aftermarket industry. It would really help the sales of Lexus vehicles, New and Used. I'm going to keep my GS400. However I will not purchase a Gen3 GS. Instead, I will buy a M5 or a E55. Even Cadillac is stepping up to the plate with performance/luxury options. Check out the Cadillac V-Series. It is embarrasing, we have been let down. Having a Gen3 GS is like having a supermodel for a wife, that spends little time with you in the bedroom. And most of her time at a dinner party. Give me the M5 or the E55. She cost more. But, Damn can she perform. And please don't say that a M5 or E55 costs more. If you can afford a new Lexus, chances are you can afford a M5 or a E55. To those concerned with reliability, go buy a camry. I truly believe that we have fallen victim to "design obsolescence."
Outstanding. I think you have hit it on the head. Whereas the competition offers sport packages, we get none and no, I'm sorry, 18" wheels do not make a sport package. The GS needs a bigger engine (make that two of them) and a sports package. We're ready Toyota - the competition is there, where are you?.
Old 03-10-05, 06:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LEX2K2
Fello members,

I was gonna leave this alone. Clearly, Lexus does not offer AMG/M style cars. Will it come? Who knows. Sir, a new E55 is pretty much 80k PLUS, the new M5 is a 90k car. That is 20-30k more than a loaded GS 430. That is a huge difference in price.
People need to realize Lexus will be Lexus. Even if they do offer super cars, they, like AMG will be automatics, they will be offered in a couple styles with limited choices. That is what makes Lexus, Lexus.
As cars get more advanced, you cannot add an intake, headers and an exhaust and expect a bump in power. U have to tune and crack that ECU as well.

The company is 15 years young. Benz and BMW did not offer AMG and M cars right away. You want a history lesson?

AMG was a seperate company building modified Benzes. Mercedes bought them in 1990 or so and the 1st AMG car was a C32. It wasn't until VERY recenlty, they had a product explosion. The old E55 debuted in 1998.
BMW did not have M, unitl the very rare M-1 in 1978-81 and it was co-developed with Lamborghini (E26)
First produced in 1986, the 3 Series E30 M3 was the product of a factory effort to participate in German Touring Car racing. The primary opponent was the Mercedes 190 class. Both companies recognized the great interest in racing and the positive effects of racing on auto sales.

All these AMG/M cars are products of RACING. Lexus/Toyota has entered F-1 but has had limted success. They are LEARNING. TeamLexus has proven, you can race and win Lexus cars, proven with the 2GS 400 and 1IS300. But it takes time for this knowledge (as well as money, but that shouldn't be a problem ) to make.

Okay I'm finished.
Old 03-10-05, 07:17 PM
Shogun
Driver

Default What does excite me?

I think many of us have voiced the same thoughts through different words...

Great styling - but $50K or $850 in payments buys you a car that runs the same speed as the 2nd Gen. As my 3 year old daughter might say - Lexus made an "oppsie"

Remember how neat the 2nd Gen was when it was released? Lexus really took on a performance image and it was well deserved. All the mags were raving about the Hp, the breaking of the "luxury" mold, etc., etc.

Well, IMO, the next car to take that "crown" is the upcoming (and don't get too bent out of shape with this) is the Chrysler 300 SRT-8. 420bhp for $39K - now that excites me. I know it's not a Lexus but I didn't buy my GS because it was a Lexus. I bought it because it ran liked a raped ape against just about anything else except the 6speed 540i - and the fact that it had four doors.

Yep, the SRT-8 - now there's a car I can't wait to test drive. It's got my blood pumping and I can't wait to pick up a mag to read the reviews when it squares off against cars that cost 50% more; i.e. Caddy STS-V, BMW M5 and some Mercedes AMG model. I can read the headlines now, "Lackluster interior, bold looks, 95% of the performance, 35K less".

Come on - you guys gotta like 420hp for $39K. Will I buy it? Hell, who cares - I just can't wait to test drive the sucker. I wish I felt that way about the new GS.

Eric
Old 03-10-05, 07:19 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I was gonna leave this alone. Clearly, Lexus does not offer AMG/M style cars. Will it come? Who knows. Sir, a new E55 is pretty much 80k PLUS, the new M5 is a 90k car. That is 20-30k more than a loaded GS 430. That is a huge difference in price.
People need to realize Lexus will be Lexus. Even if they do offer super cars, they, like AMG will be automatics, they will be offered in a couple styles with limited choices. That is what makes Lexus, Lexus.
As cars get more advanced, you cannot add an intake, headers and an exhaust and expect a bump in power. U have to tune and crack that ECU as well.

The company is 15 years young. Benz and BMW did not offer AMG and M cars right away. You want a history lesson?

AMG was a seperate company building modified Benzes. Mercedes bought them in 1990 or so and the 1st AMG car was a C32. It wasn't until VERY recenlty, they had a product explosion. The old E55 debuted in 1998.
BMW did not have M, unitl the very rare M-1 in 1978-81 and it was co-developed with Lamborghini (E26)
First produced in 1986, the 3 Series E30 M3 was the product of a factory effort to participate in German Touring Car racing. The primary opponent was the Mercedes 190 class. Both companies recognized the great interest in racing and the positive effects of racing on auto sales.

All these AMG/M cars are products of RACING. Lexus/Toyota has entered F-1 but has had limted success. They are LEARNING. TeamLexus has proven, you can race and win Lexus cars, proven with the 2GS 400 and 1IS300. But it takes time for this knowledge (as well as money, but that shouldn't be a problem ) to make.

Okay I'm finished.

Crap, does that mean we have to wait another 15 years for something serious out of Lexus? j/k

BTW, speaking of E55, I just found out that the 2000 E55 is going for about $30-$33K out here in IL. Yummy.
Old 03-10-05, 08:02 PM
LexFather

Shogun, I agree, the 300C love it or hate it, is the car to shake it up recently. It really has made a big impact for Chrysler and I agree similar to the GS back in 98.
Doug, it might be 15 years. It seems Lexus might just go the hybrid route. What surprised me was the LF-A was gas only, using tech and an engine from F-1. If Toyota wins some races, the LF-A may come. And then Lex2k2 can buy a 100k+ lexus, since we can all afford it.
Yes, used E55s and M5s are looking oh so good in the used car lot. Make my M5, red/red leather please.

Quick Reply: Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?