GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 11:38 AM
BacknBlkGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed

Sick,

I agree with you, Nissan copied and now all seems familar, which is even more reason why the new GS should be distinctive. In 1998 the overall shape and design was a departure from conventional in that day, it sported a 300hp V8 Option and to this day is the still the most powerful/fastest Lexus offered in the US (or anywhere, correct me if I am wrong about overseas options).. Not the LS or SC (except for most recent SC430) but the GS.. This is what I mean Bold, New Strokes.. Not bland, familiar cues.. It is no secret Lexus/Toyota has concrete plans to become the #1 world automobile manufacturer, if that is so then the GS Legacy should be preserved with rich product offerings and pioneering designs. Not "me too" designs that any 3rd year design student can render (No offense to the design guys/gals).. All this IMHO.

Thanks for your support.. (B&J)

Theo
Old 02-23-05, 11:43 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
but please, it is not cure to AIDS nor the 2nd coming or Christ.
Certainly not. But sometimes it difficult to keep that in mind when we're in the presence of our vehicles. Or anticipating the presence

Old 02-23-05, 11:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by looknow12
Certainly not. But sometimes it difficult to keep that in mind when we're in the presence of our vehicles. Or anticipating the presence

Oh, I love the 3rd gen. And my comments were not directed to you.
Old 02-23-05, 12:01 PM
Car Freak
Rookie

Lightbulb GS = Beauty

I too believe that the GS is beautiful. I don't think that it looks like anything else on the road. I also think that the new GS is more of an advancement in design from the 2nd Gen GS, than the 2nd Gen GS is from the 1st Gen GS. Everyone in this thread keeps saying that the 2nd Gen was SO different, well it was from all other makes, but it was very similiar to the 1st Gen GS. I think Lexus did a GREAT JOB with the GS inside and out. The only problem that I have seen in the GS is that it seems slow. Not that is it slow, it just seems slow. If the numbers are correct that Lexus is giving us, then it has to be a quick car, is just doesn't seem like it is quick. I mean, when I test drove it, it didn't seem quick at all, it is supposedly quick than the E500, but it didn't feel like it. It's faster than my old Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, but I remember how the Grand Prix performed and I remember it to feel A LOT quicker than the GS, even though the GS is almost a full second quicker from 0 to 60mph. Anyway, like I wrote in a previous post I plan on taking another test drive of the GS430 because my first test drive was with a horrible sales person that took me around the corner and back.
Old 02-23-05, 12:37 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This theme reminds me of dare I say the RL thread. The GS is ugly. No, the GS is beautiful. The RL is ugly, not it is beautiful. The GS looks like a Maxima. No, it looks nothing like a Maxima in person. The RL looks like an Accord. It looks nothing like an Accord when you see it in person. Wait to you drive the GS and see it in person you will love it. Wait to you drive the RL , it drives great. Wow, look at all the new technology in the GS. Check out all the new technology in the RL. Who would have thought a similar theme would be discussed here on Club Lexus about the GS
Old 02-23-05, 12:48 PM
BacknBlkGS
Rookie

What is so innovative about a "me too" design? The design is not revolutionary, its common place among all the other auto show cars peering out to the future.. Even at car show nothing makes you say "Wow" about the new design.. Just "that's nice".. and for 50 large it better do more than give me a twig it better give me WOOD.

Go to any car show this spring and you will see at least 3 or 4 offerings (btwn manufs) that look the same as the new GS...

Now that Lexus LF-A sports car, that is WOOD!

Last edited by BlkSoarer; 02-23-05 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-23-05, 06:50 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now 8 years later, Nissan BLATANTLY copied these cues and slapped them on the Altima and Maxima and most of their new sedans. Even the Armada/QX56 has that sloping roofline. So what happend is something that was RARE and DISTICTIVE was KNOCKED-OFF and made FAMILAR. You see Altimas daily like cocaine at a Bobby Brown/Whitney Houston party. The Maxima sells 100k cars a year.

We are victims of this. The 3rd gen GS did not totally depart from the 2nd gen in overall shape, so of course we won't be shocked. At this point its too familiar.
I hear you but....

Something a with a little more sex appeal that keeps the basic style. Look at how Aston has handled the vanquish, DB7, etc... An evolution of the design concepts that still look stunning.

What bummed me out some were the statements/leaks by Lexus corporate about L-Finesse and how it was going to re-define their look. Sounded like how Cadillac was approaching their "re-invention". But I just don't think it does (at least not as far as the GS is concerned) and it doesn't do it in a bold move (like Cadillac) but rather a conservative way. And hey, that's OK for many folks but it is not to my liking.
Old 02-23-05, 07:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I hear you but....

Something a with a little more sex appeal that keeps the basic style. Look at how Aston has handled the vanquish, DB7, etc... An evolution of the design concepts that still look stunning.

What bummed me out some were the statements/leaks by Lexus corporate about L-Finesse and how it was going to re-define their look. Sounded like how Cadillac was approaching their "re-invention". But I just don't think it does (at least not as far as the GS is concerned) and it doesn't do it in a bold move (like Cadillac) but rather a conservative way. And hey, that's OK for many folks but it is not to my liking.
Ahhh gotcha. Yes, Caddy totally reinvented their look, love or hate. They are now instantly recognizable as Caddys. IMO, the STS is the best example of this. I guess though, Lexus didn't need to completely leave their look, since they are the best selling brand and have stated "we want to grow but not alienate those that got us here".
I guess we'll have to see how the other Lexus turn out to see how much this "L-finesse" changes things, probably the LS 430 more than any other.

Maybe or hopefully the Lexus AMG/M fighers will look swooper with bigger wheels, kits, lowered etc.
Old 02-23-05, 11:33 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Having come from the 2nd gen being a real value- perhaps people had expecations. In 1998 it was a bench mark. Example horsepower- which I think does matter. To not change the 300 HP in the length of the higher models- is a big dissapointment- and a big mistake.

Not quite putting it right put- the 2nd gs worked just fine for it's time. Hearing about it coming out, knowing this 3rd gen would set benchmark for styling- ok good. Styling is another issue.
What about competition. It just falls short in features in the year 2006 for cars. The LED's are ultra cool. The high a way thing is 'cool', but other things. Rear camera's, and navigation is trendy ands just so common- this is not so great. It's not a car - that you will get for a particular reason anymore- it just is the right price for your budget. In light of competition - I don't think its a good choice. It's not a benchmark like it was before.

I thought lexus was about value- and this doesn't seem like one. The 300 HP should have gone up. Maybe there should be a thread- what you expect a car like the gs430 should have at a price like that. Even with the Gs line being what it is and infinit being a part of other models, and the hummer being very exclusive and that- it just seems not very impressive.

Today in 2004 for a 2006 model- 300 Hp, and still 300 hp.
So HP- I think does count when you had a nice impresive number in 98 people appreciated.

It's a matter of opinion if you like the hole package- but since i think its not a value- not a benchmark. Whatver it is it lost something- like so many competitors today (5 series...)- It's just not special- can go as far as saying it may be lost in a crowd.
Old 02-24-05, 12:05 AM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

Like many new car introduction, there are people who loves it and poeple who hates it. The first gen GS struck me with first site and the 2nd gen grew on me. Again, the 3rd gen have not make my jaw drops but i think I will grow to like it over time.

One think I really like is the interior design. very nice!!!

One big disappointment is the Power and Toque. No changes.

If I was to consider for an upgrde to the 3rd gen GS, POWER will be my number one criteria since I already have a 300 horses in my garage. The elegant design itseft does not attract me so the power needs to be more then last model or its competitors. What will the new GS gives me except for a DENT in my bank account.
Old 03-01-05, 12:58 AM
CJGS4
Rookie

In terms of looks... When I saw the first pics of the 2006 GS last year I thought it looked hot. However, my opinion quickly changed when I went to the LA Auto show.. Maybe it was because it was a GS300, but it looked high (raised looking) and bland. I really was dissapointed because I was going to make it my next sedan. I also am not so happy with the new 5-series, which looks funny from the back. The E-class is alright looking, but kind of dated at this moment. The only sedan which gets me excited is the new CLS by mercedes, but we know mercedes quality sucks, and they don't drive very well either...

My other concern with the GS is the power. 300HP is highly underpowered in the sedan realm. Everyone else has AT LEAST 315-330HP if not more. When the GS came out it already had 300HP, why are they using the same engine at the getgo? Why not add a little more, maybe even 330HP?

Lets see if the IS350 really comes out with 300HP like the claims say.... 2 hrs to go :-)
Old 03-01-05, 09:33 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shogun
Personally - I love the way the new GS looks and I think it will age gracefully over the next 6 years.

Looks aside, I would have a difficult time buying the new GS based on styling alone. I have a 300Hp Lexus that is paid for and I want to spend $50K for another Lexus with 300Hp? No, I don't think so. For me, that equates to a lot of $$$ and/or ego lubricant for simply the benefit of a new "look".

I'm out of the GS market until there is a significant performace advantage over my current GS - I'm guessing 400Hp is going to be the number that motivates me. When the GS came out in 1998 it set a new performance threshold - that's what got me excited about the car. To me, "looks" must be a given to even enter the game. If it looks good, then performance is my next measure. The new GS, with no doubt in my mind is a stunning car, but line up next to an old 400/430 at a stoplight or on the highway and $50K doesn't buy you thing except "looking good". I'm getting to old for that or just maybe the benefits of that $50K are more important elsewhere in my life.

I think Lexus missed a real opportunity to seize upon what they did in '98.

Eric
I too love the new technology that it received for 06, and the interior is very modern as well, but my big thing about the new GS is that, man just can't stress this enough is those headlamps and the rear end lamps thats it. I wish the lines of the headlamps, and rear lamps look like the new IS that would be a keeper for me. Also needs more hp (400-450) roughly.
Old 03-05-05, 02:43 PM
L-Finesser
Rookie

Default Disappointed in GS?

The first Gen (Aristo) was pretty cool. The "Wicked" 2nd Generation was much stronger. This 3rd Generation is a further evolution. So I'm not disappointed. Now, could Lexus go further? Absolutely.
Old 03-05-05, 08:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by L-Finesser
This 3rd Generation is a further evolution. So I'm not disappointed. Now, could Lexus go further? Absolutely.
Great responses. Welcome to CL!
Old 03-05-05, 08:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I was, but not anymore after I' ve seen it in person & examined it in detail for the first time today. It still didn't blew me away, but I like it more than I thought I would, & it can be a very handsome car in darker colors.

Quick Reply: Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?