GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

special ordering GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-05, 08:12 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default special ordering GS

Hello. Can someone tell me what the reason for not being able to ordr the base car is? It has all the standard thigns i am looking for. I dont need the sunroof, the Adaptive front lighting system, rear shade, spoiler, or the wipers package, or ventilated seats. Just the base 42,900 car. I went to a local dealer and said if the car starts at 42,900, why can i not order and wait for that car? He said most ppl want a package or some options and the 45,500 car is what the base really is. I said that I understood what he meant and demand makes production decisons and so on and so forth. I told him, evenw ith all this i should be able to order the car i want, shouldnt i? i will wait 4-5 months or however long it takes. He said they will still nto make a car like that in the factory in japan. If they say it starts at 42,900, i must be able to buy it then, somehow or someway then, right?

Can someone explain what the deal is with this? Why im not even able to special order the car that i want even if im ready to wait? Who would i have to talk to about this?

your help is appreciated
Old 02-19-05, 09:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
Hello. Can someone tell me what the reason for not being able to ordr the base car is? It has all the standard thigns i am looking for. I dont need the sunroof, the Adaptive front lighting system, rear shade, spoiler, or the wipers package, or ventilated seats. Just the base 42,900 car. I went to a local dealer and said if the car starts at 42,900, why can i not order and wait for that car? He said most ppl want a package or some options and the 45,500 car is what the base really is. I said that I understood what he meant and demand makes production decisons and so on and so forth. I told him, evenw ith all this i should be able to order the car i want, shouldnt i? i will wait 4-5 months or however long it takes. He said they will still nto make a car like that in the factory in japan. If they say it starts at 42,900, i must be able to buy it then, somehow or someway then, right?

Can someone explain what the deal is with this? Why im not even able to special order the car that i want even if im ready to wait? Who would i have to talk to about this?

your help is appreciated
It all depends on your region. Looks like the Lexus dealer in your local area doesn't put out very many units to justify an order. I would try a larger dealership if possible, they would be more helpful with obtaining a base vehicle. PM me if you have some questions.

-Ryan
Old 02-19-05, 10:02 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

It could also be that they wouldn't want to get stuck with a car they couldn't sell if the person that ordered it wouldn't take delivery. Maybe if you offered to pay for it up front then the dealer wouldn't have any risk. Or put down a $10,000 non refundable deposit
Old 02-19-05, 12:36 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

No it old them ill take delviery of the vehicle. I told them ill sign and take delivery of the car, and put 10K down on the vehicle so that u know i will stick by my commitment. They still said "no they wont build a car in japan like that", thats y i was ticked off and confused why i cant even order it as a base. They told me to call lexus at corproate. I called 180025-lexus and told them the dilemma. When i call there, the fools there tell me "we dont have information on the packages right now , so we cant give you an answer as to if we will do any custom ordering...check with ur dealer"

UGHHHHHHH ..do u guys see how frustrating this is?
Old 02-19-05, 12:40 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Ryan, do you think if i contacted Longo lexus (iv heard ppl say good things about that place and its one of the largest and best dealerships for lexus and they sell voluem cars there) Do u think i could order a base car through them? I have a relative in texas wishing to do the same. He gets the same response - they told him they wont order because japan wont make it as a base like that...and he said he would put money down for it to secure delivery, but still they denied him. If we order thru longo, could u find out if they are willign to do that? I knwo what color interior and exterior i want as well as my relative in texas. Plz get back to me.

HELP!
Old 02-19-05, 12:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
Ryan, do you think if i contacted Longo lexus (iv heard ppl say good things about that place and its one of the largest and best dealerships for lexus and they sell voluem cars there) Do u think i could order a base car through them? I have a relative in texas wishing to do the same. He gets the same response - they told him they wont order because japan wont make it as a base like that...and he said he would put money down for it to secure delivery, but still they denied him. If we order thru longo, could u find out if they are willign to do that? I knwo what color interior and exterior i want as well as my relative in texas. Plz get back to me.

HELP!
Contact Elizabeth. Just PM her. "Longo Lexus" or you can call her. I PM'ed you with her contact info.
Old 02-19-05, 01:11 PM
biker
Lead Lap

If Lexus wanted to compete with BMW, they should make sure things like special orders are easily available. There are folks out there that don't care for the combos available on dealer lots.
Old 02-19-05, 01:13 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Thanks Ryan!

I appreciate it greatly!
Old 02-19-05, 04:17 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Special Order situations

I can only cringe at the variation of information and treatment in the Lexus stores on this and another thread. A special order is ordered through a computer program that first checks available inventory and inbound units across the country. There can be an electronic swap if one actually exists. In this case it won't and the program will go to the next level and ask for the option codes and colors etc. Then it assigns a control number to the order. It can take 48 hours for this to confirm. Then expect the car to come into the dealership in about 3 1/2 months here in the East and less in the West. A base car does carry some risk to the dealer so a non refundable deposit may be required. $5,000 would be a serious enough deposit. They can make the car. It is just so early that nobody knows and is afraid to say they don't know. Definitely take it up with a manager. If you are still getting stonewalled try another dealership.

The most important feature of this car is the drive. Everything else is a bonus.
Old 02-19-05, 04:49 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Thanks Rockville! Im relived to knwo it is possible. I knew the salesman did nto know the correct facts.

Thanks again - Greatly appreciated!
Old 02-19-05, 11:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by biker
If Lexus wanted to compete with BMW, they should make sure things like special orders are easily available. There are folks out there that don't care for the combos available on dealer lots.
Well that's true to a certain extent. In your case are you in the market for one? Unfortunately there is no base model cloth interior car for you.
Old 02-20-05, 12:14 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

GSrwdwow,
If you have money and time, special ordering is possible. Like Rockville said ask to speak with a manager or try another dealership. Special orders are time consuming and a risk for dealers. Time consuming because it takes about 3-4 months and the dealer has to continuously track your order. It's a risk because most people want a nicely equipped car and should you not buy the car, they will be stuck with a car that's more difficult to find the right buyer for. If you go in to the dealer, leave a large deposit, fill out any neccessary paperwork, then I'm sure they will see you as serious. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

biker,
Lexus is the #1 selling luxury nameplate in the United States. We knocked BMW and Mercedes off that throne several years ago. BMW is trying to compete with us, not the other way around. The few people on this forum wanting a base car represent a small percentage of other buyers. There is nothing wrong with getting something the way you want it, especially for such a large sum of money. However, majority rules here and Lexus is still a business. They are building what the majority wants, but they are just as happy to comply with special requests.
Old 02-20-05, 06:02 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

After reading elizabeth's post...it makes sense. She clarified some of the concerns i have and now it makes it a lot easier for me to make the next step.

Thanks elizabeth! u r awesome!
Old 02-20-05, 07:21 AM
oldhotrod
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Special order color combinations

As to this special order thread, maybe Rockville, or Liz at Longo Lexus can answer this one? I'm coming out of a Jaguar lease and they have special order ability for different colors/ interior combinations. Would it be possible to order a Mercury Metallic GS300 with a cashmere interior, since this is not one of the standard "approved" combinations. The 3 to 4 month wait and substantial up front non-refundable deposit are not a problem for us. My wife loved the Silver/Ivory combination in her Jag!!
Old 02-20-05, 07:32 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default That would look elegant

I am home today and I don't have a production sheet to refer to yet I don't believe Silver/Cashmere is offerred. Some other color/interior combinations are offerred but not ususally produced and they are special order candidates. We use Mercury/Ecru for instance in the LS430 and it's very popular. BTW when you lease from Lexus Financial you are given a flexible end of term option to extend month to month for up to six months. Some of my customers are in lease overtime waiting for the GS of their choice to arrive. I will check tomorrow to see if that combination is available.

Quick Reply: special ordering GS