GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3rd Gen GS prediction: lacking JDM tuner support

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 09:34 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3rd Gen GS prediction: lacking JDM tuner support

This is my prediction.

JZS147 and JZS161 Aristos have plenty of aftermarket support in Japan because it's the only upscale premium sedan that has the heart of a beast (2JZ-GTE). Now the new "GS300" (no more Aristo badge under Toyota) has a nice Dual VVT-i V6. Eventually it will probably get bolt-on S/C and turbo kits from a few tuners, but I don't think the JDM aftermarket industry will be as enthusiastic about it as the current 2nd-Gen Aristo.

But most of the performance parts in the JDM go on the GTE anyways, so it won't affect us. Bodykits will still be there, the usual exhaust and other slap-on parts will be released. Just hope that the luxury sedan image (and missing 2JZ-GTE) won't bring the interest in this GS down.
Old 02-10-05, 09:45 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but if you think more positively, no more aristo in japan but with the Lexus launch in JApan, there will be more parts(performance-wise) available for the new GS and all lexus lines, we probably will have more parts available from japan that way.
Old 02-10-05, 10:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think there are going to be less performance stuff done for the new GS, and at the same time more vip stuff available, since vip is getting more well known and popular in japan
Old 02-10-05, 11:01 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't I hear that Lexus is planning on bringing back a performance division, or is it just the "GT" versions that they are working on? I read on here somewhere that they were working on this although I haven't heard anything for awhile.

BTW, dumb question but what exactly is the whole VIP thing? Chromed out and deep dish wheels? Rap video interiors? I'm confused.
Old 02-11-05, 02:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by flossn
Didn't I hear that Lexus is planning on bringing back a performance division, or is it just the "GT" versions that they are working on? I read on here somewhere that they were working on this although I haven't heard anything for awhile.

BTW, dumb question but what exactly is the whole VIP thing? Chromed out and deep dish wheels? Rap video interiors? I'm confused.
well lexus having a performance division has nothing to do with aftermarket support though. it's just like saying bimmer has m power division with m3 and m5, but there are still companies like ac and dinan making exhaust, intakes, suspensions, body kits, etc... for bmw, even m3 and m5. same with mb, they have amg and all the 55/65 engines, but you still see companies like renntech making chips and other performance parts

vip, in my dictionary it's just a vague term for some different kind of modding. more like opposite of performance, they care more about the look. aggressive drop (no drivability), big rims with wide lips, body kits, and all the cosmetic gadges. that's a style going on, and it hit the US since the last 1 to 1 1/2 yr i think. and nop, i don't think chrome is a must havea...
Old 02-11-05, 03:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
This is my prediction.

JZS147 and JZS161 Aristos have plenty of aftermarket support in Japan because it's the only upscale premium sedan that has the heart of a beast (2JZ-GTE). Now the new "GS300" (no more Aristo badge under Toyota) has a nice Dual VVT-i V6. Eventually it will probably get bolt-on S/C and turbo kits from a few tuners, but I don't think the JDM aftermarket industry will be as enthusiastic about it as the current 2nd-Gen Aristo.

But most of the performance parts in the JDM go on the GTE anyways, so it won't affect us. Bodykits will still be there, the usual exhaust and other slap-on parts will be released. Just hope that the luxury sedan image (and missing 2JZ-GTE) won't bring the interest in this GS down.
Globe, its great to hear your opinion on this. I think it will have even more aftermaket support, as the Lexus brand is launched in Japan. Also with the GS already being sold worldwide, I see more people buying this car and wanting to tune it.

As for F/I, the GS 300 runs so lean, I can't see that happening. As Rominl stated, it maybe more about chips and the computer than slapping on bolt ons, that may hurt performance.

We'll see
Old 02-11-05, 03:26 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well lexus having a performance division has nothing to do with aftermarket support though. it's just like saying bimmer has m power division with m3 and m5, but there are still companies like ac and dinan making exhaust, intakes, suspensions, body kits, etc... for bmw, even m3 and m5. same with mb, they have amg and all the 55/65 engines, but you still see companies like renntech making chips and other performance parts

vip, in my dictionary it's just a vague term for some different kind of modding. more like opposite of performance, they care more about the look. aggressive drop (no drivability), big rims with wide lips, body kits, and all the cosmetic gadges. that's a style going on, and it hit the US since the last 1 to 1 1/2 yr i think. and nop, i don't think chrome is a must havea...

Thanks for the definition. Yeah you are right, but I figure if Lexus has a performace lineup, there would probably be more companies willing to develop parts for it.