GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New to board, current MB owner thinkin bout Lex...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 05:09 AM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New to board, current MB owner thinkin bout Lex...

What up everyone. Just joined the board as i'm currently looking to move away from my benz. I currently have an '01 E430 with 40,000 miles on the clock. Car has is strikingly beautiful to look at both inside and out, but i'm not gonna hang onto this car due to the reliablitly of these cars. So far, i'm starting to get minor bugs, such as a broken armrest, broken cupholder, and compartments that don't stay closed. But the things that are starting to scare me is that the steering makes a grinding rubbing noise and the rear clunks. Also the trans seems to be shifting much harder than it was when i got it. BTW, i've been on the MB boards for awhile now and the amount of people with serious problems with this car or any other new benz for that matter is unreal. Now, I currently have my eyes set on either the New RL or the New GS. I test drove the new RL the other nite and car felt really good. Interior was very sweet as was the navigation with it's huge screen and the seats were way comfortable. Car rode a tad too harsh though, but the car sure can corner without even a hint of body roll. For the 300hp the car has, it sure doesn't feel like it at all. I had three people in the car and when i punched it, car just ddint' seem to respond too well. Outside is not that appealing though which is making me kinda shy away from it. All said and done, the car comes fully loaded with no options available cept minor stuff like floor mats and such for $49,000. Now for the GS 300 AWD, model i would be interested in. Haven't seen the car in person yet, but have a date set with my dealer for the 15th of this month when they said they have one arriving. I think the car is just sick looking hooked up with killer set of rims. This car will def need a serious test drive as i'm very leary about that seriously low hp number of 245. I like the interior of the car, thought it could use a few more accents around the dash but still very straight forward. Seats look killer in the pics. BTW, i checked out the Audi A6,
Old 02-10-05, 05:21 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First let me say to you welcome aboard Club Lexus. Personally I think you should get a GS430 since your looking for a little more punch when you step on the gas pedal. Also the inside of this car is just amazing you will see when you see it in person. The car sounds great at idle and with the stock gunmetal 18 inch rims you are set to go not to mention all the other goodies. You will see for your self when you step into the cockpit of the ultimate driving machine the all new LEXUS GS .
Old 02-10-05, 07:46 AM
Little
Driver

GS430 is gonna be outta my price range right now. So hopefully i'm not totally disappointed with the 6. I'm biased though, cause i've been driving 500rwhp stangs and a 2003 GSXR 1300 Hayabusa for some time now, so basically anyting feels slow in comparison. The benz is quick as well, it blows the new RL away in acceleration with only 275hp.
Old 02-10-05, 08:09 AM
azmike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome...

just curious. Why did you reject the Audi A6?
Old 02-10-05, 08:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Little
What up everyone. Just joined the board as i'm currently looking to move away from my benz. I currently have an '01 E430 with 40,000 miles on the clock. Car has is strikingly beautiful to look at both inside and out, but i'm not gonna hang onto this car due to the reliablitly of these cars. So far, i'm starting to get minor bugs, such as a broken armrest, broken cupholder, and compartments that don't stay closed. But the things that are starting to scare me is that the steering makes a grinding rubbing noise and the rear clunks. Also the trans seems to be shifting much harder than it was when i got it. BTW, i've been on the MB boards for awhile now and the amount of people with serious problems with this car or any other new benz for that matter is unreal. Now, I currently have my eyes set on either the New RL or the New GS. I test drove the new RL the other nite and car felt really good. Interior was very sweet as was the navigation with it's huge screen and the seats were way comfortable. Car rode a tad too harsh though, but the car sure can corner without even a hint of body roll. For the 300hp the car has, it sure doesn't feel like it at all. I had three people in the car and when i punched it, car just ddint' seem to respond too well. Outside is not that appealing though which is making me kinda shy away from it. All said and done, the car comes fully loaded with no options available cept minor stuff like floor mats and such for $49,000. Now for the GS 300 AWD, model i would be interested in. Haven't seen the car in person yet, but have a date set with my dealer for the 15th of this month when they said they have one arriving. I think the car is just sick looking hooked up with killer set of rims. This car will def need a serious test drive as i'm very leary about that seriously low hp number of 245. I like the interior of the car, thought it could use a few more accents around the dash but still very straight forward. Seats look killer in the pics. BTW, i checked out the Audi A6,
Welcome to Clublexus. The RL is the best Acura ever but as you stated, those Accord looks simply do not state this is a luxury car. And the cars 0-60 tims are from 6.7 to 7 seconds flat which is very respectable but as you stated, for 300hp, not impressive. It does seem that under intense handling conditions, the car handles very, very well.
The GS, I am positive you would love. The looks, I think are gorgous, the only thing is the very short rear deck that throws me off. Its low on HP but according to Lexus, basically has the same acceleration results of the RL, the AWD GS 300 is a 7 second flat car. Credit having an additional gear (6 speed vs 5) and more advanced engine technology, dual VVTi and direct injection. Add a 20% increase in fuel economy, 24 city, 30 highway and this is an incredible engine.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-10-05, 09:15 AM
Little
Driver

azmike,

The audi A6 was not visually appealing to me at all. The front grille on the car really killed it imo. Then when i sat in the car, i wasn't impressed at all. The materials felt cheap and flimsy to me. I didn't take the car for a drive, so i'm basing this on appearance alone. But the looks alone would keep me away. I've always thought the A8 was just sick looking, till i sat in that car for the first time and felt the same thing, it just felt cheap.

I've seen those pics of the '06 GS that have been photoshopped with rims and bodykits, if i can make this car look like that, i think the car would be the hottest thing out. In factory trim with the factory wheels, i think the car is a tad ugly, but factory wheels would be very very short lived hehe. The MPG numbers are also quite impressive as well which never hurts.
Old 02-10-05, 11:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I was very suprised when I saw an RL review that compared it with 7 series, LS and S class... wtf? There is not one bit of that car that makes it to the same class of cars as those mentioned. It is significantly smaller, has V6 (yes, it is important).

Is there any particular reason it has to be AWD? RWD GS should feel quicker on its feet in V6 form...
Old 02-10-05, 11:34 AM
RohithT
Driver School Candidate

You're selling out!
Kidding, of course.

From the previews I've read about the GS3, it seems as if it'll be and feel lot faster than its hp numbers suggest (see the thread about reviews)

And not to say that any car is or isn't reliable, you should realize that message board folk like to complain, so don't think that just because it seems like half the people on a board are having issues with their cars that that's representative of that make & model's reliability. Troll around Lexus & Acura boards long enough and you'll start to think that they're unreliable, too.
Old 02-10-05, 11:38 AM
Little
Driver

I'm from jersey, and this car would be my daily driver, so i def need awd for the winter months in the snow.

About the reliability issues of my benz, i'm starting to see a lot of flaws that i don't like, and the cupholder is just terrible, doesn't seem like and item somone would gripe about, but it can barely hold a singel drink and the holder next to it, is to close to the armrest to even fit a drink in it. I drive a lot and value a good cupholder, not one where i have to hold onto my coffee in the morning due to fear of the cup ejecting from the holder.
Old 02-10-05, 03:29 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

The RL is probably faster than any other awd vehicle in its class.

In the latest issue of MT it was as fast as the M35 through the 1/4mi.
http://people.clemson.edu/~davidw/Luxo%20all.jpg

I would expect it to be faster than the GS300 awd
Old 02-11-05, 04:42 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus LIttle!!! I used to have a 96 E320. I loved that car!! It was solid and very quiet. I sold it because I started having electrical issues and the beginning stages of a leak from the engine. I traded it on my current car - a 99 GS400 two years ago. I have never looked back or regretted my decision! Built like a tank is an understatement!!

Originally Posted by RohithT
Troll around Lexus & Acura boards long enough and you'll start to think that they're unreliable, too.
I disagree with you completely. I challenge you to point out all these posts you are referring to that show that Lexus is unreliable.

Look at the J.D. Powers long term and short term reliability ratings for the last 10 years and tell me with a straight face that Lexus is not reliable. Also look at the same ratings and tell me where MB and BMW sit.