GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Will the next GS have Parking Assist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 11:47 AM
jerrygs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the new GS300 AWD at the N.J. Lexus Training center last week , yes it does have park assist and it will let you know that if you turn your steering wheel if you will clear something or not. Kind of like intelligent park assist. The car looks great more room in the back seat, no more full size spare, . The east coast is supposed to get all season run flats. Also drove RX400h its awsome, read drove rx400h in rx forum.
Old 01-16-05, 12:37 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can someone explain what parking assist is? i thought it was just the rador sensors or the backup camera b/c those items assist you in parking correct?

or is it something like this?

PARKING-SPACE INVADER
Inventor: Toyota

Back up. O.K., stop. A little more. O.K., now turn the wheel. More. More. Too much! Sorry, sir, was that your car? If you've ever driven in a city, you know the agony of parallel parking in a tight space. But your suffering may soon end. Toyota has invented a car that parallel parks itself. This new version of the Prius, Toyota's hybrid gas-electric automobile, has an optional self-parking feature, which combines a rear-mounted camera, power steering and special software that automatically guides the car backward into its curbside destination. With Intelligent Parking Assist, as Toyota calls the feature, the driver doesn't even have to touch the steering wheel.
Old 01-16-05, 01:12 PM
idg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Park Assist

The park assist system on my LS430 has sensors both in front and in the back. Whenever you drive slowly within a certain distance (like 2 ft) of any obstacle, it will beep and show the location of the obstacle on the navigation display with a bar like scale with a red color showing the approximate distance. As you get even closer, the beep turns into a constant sound and the red bar shows a closer proximity. I found it to be a very useful tool when I park, even in my garage since it shows me how close I am to the wall. The only drawback is that you may become too dependent on it and become less careful at times.
Old 01-16-05, 02:31 PM
jerrygs400
Driver School Candidate

frebay , idg just explained the system, the new gs adds to this the fact that turning the wheels will clear an object.
Old 01-16-05, 03:04 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jerrygs400
frebay , idg just explained the system, the new gs adds to this the fact that turning the wheels will clear an object.
nice, any other interesting features in the GS that we don't know about?
Old 01-16-05, 03:18 PM
jerrygs400
Driver School Candidate

I left all of my info at work but here goes. GS v-6 engine will have a timing chain, direct injection,variable valve timing on intake and exhaust, mark lev stereo will play mp3 ,330 watts and surround sound, you can adjust the tint on the guages , ventilated front seats, 2 inch longer wheelbase but 1 inch shorter bumper to bumper .
Old 01-16-05, 03:28 PM
frebay
Pole Position

I left all of my info at work but here goes. GS v-6 engine will have a timing chain, direct injection,variable valve timing on intake and exhaust, mark lev stereo will play mp3 ,330 watts and surround sound, you can adjust the tint on the guages , ventilated front seats, 2 inch longer wheelbase but 1 inch shorter bumper to bumper .
dude, mp3s? that's awseome....i'll look forward to ur gs write up...btw the rx write up was great.
Old 01-16-05, 04:18 PM
jerrygs400
Driver School Candidate

All Lexus dealers should have 1 GS by Feb.15, we are having our preview nite 2-18.
so a few more weeks and I will get to drive one.
Old 01-16-05, 07:38 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by idg
The park assist system on my LS430 has sensors both in front and in the back. Whenever you drive slowly within a certain distance (like 2 ft) of any obstacle, it will beep and show the location of the obstacle on the navigation display with a bar like scale with a red color showing the approximate distance. As you get even closer, the beep turns into a constant sound and the red bar shows a closer proximity. I found it to be a very useful tool when I park, even in my garage since it shows me how close I am to the wall. The only drawback is that you may become too dependent on it and become less careful at times.

if the new gs has a backup camera which will show up on the navi display, where will it show the car w/ bar display? on the navi as well?
Old 01-16-05, 08:55 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Yes it will show both but im not sure if at the same time.
Old 01-16-05, 08:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by frebay
if the new gs has a backup camera which will show up on the navi display, where will it show the car w/ bar display? on the navi as well?
It's not a matter of if, it DOES have a backup camera that shows on the Navi screen. If you notice in the photo below, the car is put in reverse and the camera display is showing in this picture:

Old 01-26-05, 05:28 PM
frebay
Pole Position

can you confirm that this car plays mp3s...i know it's such a moot point to a lot of people, but it's really important to me.
Old 01-27-05, 05:53 AM
jerrygs400
Driver School Candidate

We were told at the Lexus training center that the new Mark Lev would play mp3's in the 06 GS
Old 01-27-05, 06:02 AM
biker
Lead Lap

I can see it now:

DMV offices across the country will outlaw the use of the Lexus GS when taking the driver test since it makes paralel parking too easy.
Old 01-27-05, 06:10 AM
jerrygs400
Driver School Candidate

Yes the new GS will have park assist standard from what I remember, and it is intelligent if it shows an object very close to one side and you turn the wheel the car display will show you if you turned the wheel enough to clear the object or not.

Quick Reply: Will the next GS have Parking Assist?