GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 Lexus GS300 AWD vs. 06 BMW 530xi (AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 10:04 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Lexus GS300 AWD vs. 06 BMW 530xi (AWD)

I am torn between these 2 choices (AWD) that will both be available this year (I believe the Lexus will come out sooner). I can't decide on either one yet. The BMW 5 series exterior wise will remain the same, but I have to see this new GS in person to see if it'll sway me to the Lexus side.

Link to the BMW530xi info is below:

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...002/bmw/1.html

BMW Advantages / Disadvantages
- The BMW 530xi will be more fun to drive (BMW is more fun to drive as compared to Lexus).
- BMW has more HP and German HP is still different than Japanese HP in that German HP feels like a lot more!
- BMW'S 5 Series controversial styling is not an issue to me, since I like the new styling.
- BMW'S AWD version probably won't be available until the middle of this year (later than Lexus)
- BMW'S reliability and service is not as good as Lexus, especially for new models
- BMW'S price is probably going to be slightly higher than Lexus (always are when you add the options up).

LEXUS Advantages / Disadvantages:
- The new Lexus Design is great so far. It's about time! I had a 01 GS430.
- Lexus Reliablity and Service is better
- Also the new design will need to be seen in person. Rims make the car, so the photos posted on this website with the GS430 18" rims of course will make this car look incredible, but those rims on the GS300 AWD will have to be looked at in person, because I am not sold on them yet.
- The Lexus handling will probably still be kind of soft and not as sporty as the BMW.
- Lexus Interior is more luxurious than the BMW and Lexus NAV is better

I guess what it comes down to is your preference for the exterior look of the car and actually finally seeing the new GS in person and making your judgements then. But at this time for me the BMW530xi seems have more advantages than the Lexus if you are comparing the 2 (mostly in regards to quickness, power and a possibly sportier (but not more luxurious) look).

Your comments in this matter would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-12-05, 10:08 PM
LexFather

In all honestly, the only way I'd get the 530 over the Lexus is if you need a manual tranny. Then its totally understandable.
The other factor is are you gonna mod. If so, it doesn't matter what wheels/what they drive like stock.

My 2 cents dude.
Old 01-12-05, 10:18 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In all honestly, the only way I'd get the 530 over the Lexus is if you need a manual tranny. Then its totally understandable.
The other factor is are you gonna mod. If so, it doesn't matter what wheels/what they drive like stock.

My 2 cents dude.
Sicklex - you have a good point there, however I would have to say that there is much less to mod on a stock or Sports Package BMW, since the handling / cornering is already very good and significantly better than the GS (at least the current GS).

I remember even with my 01 GS430, I had to spend thousands of dollars more to get it L-Tuned and it there was an improvement, but it still was not as good as a BMW with Sports Package or even a NON Sport BMW in my opinion.
Old 01-12-05, 10:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Sicklex - you have a good point there, however I would have to say that there is much less to mod on a stock or Sports Package BMW, since the handling / cornering is already very good and significantly better than the GS (at least the current GS).

I remember even with my 01 GS430, I had to spend thousands of dollars more to get it L-Tuned and it there was an improvement, but it still was not as good as a BMW with Sports Package or even a NON Sport BMW in my opinion.
Having driven a 540-6 and my ole GS with sways/L-tuned etc, both the owner and I agreed acceleration was even and my car was tighter, though his was no slouch considering it was stock.

I have read nothing but GREAT things about the new BMW active roll bars and electronic gizmos. They really do work according to everything I've read. What prices are u getting though? 50k? That is GS 430 money then.....

Are you getting a manual?
Old 01-12-05, 10:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i agree with sick, that unless i want a manual, i don't see myself getting the 530 at all. and in terms of mod, the bimmer is kinda boring in that area actually. and i sorta wonder if the v6 in the gs will have more potential than the 530.
Old 01-12-05, 10:35 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Having driven a 540-6 and my ole GS with sways/L-tuned etc, both the owner and I agreed acceleration was even and my car was tighter, though his was no slouch considering it was stock.

I have read nothing but GREAT things about the new BMW active roll bars and electronic gizmos. They really do work according to everything I've read. What prices are u getting though? 50k? That is GS 430 money then.....

Are you getting a manual?
I need the AWD option here in NJ. If I were in CA or someplace where it doesn't snow, my dream car would be the BMW 545, so I believe with AWD it will only come with Automatic. However even so, building a 530 now with decent option can reach $50K (and I am sure the AWD will be more) and you are right that is going into GS430 price range with a incredible Lexus V8 saying hello to me! But AWD is the determining factor, since I am tired of being scared when it snows and I have to drive in it. My local BMW dealer doesn't really have any further info on the pricing or availability at this time, so I am in the dark on this one too.
Old 01-12-05, 10:40 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I realize that this is most likely from a press kit, however it still sound good (BMW AWD performs similar / same to rear wheel drive - it's from the link I posted above):

All-wheel drive without any drawbacks in the 525i and 530i.
Introducing xDrive as an option on the 525i and 530i Sedan and Touring, BMW is enlarging the wide range of choice within the 5 Series. Now xDrive with enhanced traction for special requirements supplements the sporting performance and motoring comfort, roominess and versatility already so typical of the 5 Series. With BMW’s intelligent xDrive system, the driver has the advantage whenever required of four drive wheels without the disadvantages of many all-wheel-drive systems the rest of the time: In terms of their everyday driving characteristics, the new 5 Series with xDrive are just as agile and dynamic as their “sister” models with rear-wheel drive.
With the exception of the modifications required for all-wheel drive, the chassis and suspension of the 5 Series with xDrive is the same in principle as on the rear-wheel-drive 5 Series. Reflecting their all-wheel-drive technology, the xDrive models come standard in “basic” trim with 17-inch wheels instead of the usual 16-inch light-alloy wheels, the design and material of the wheels being the same in both cases. For reasons of the car’s package, xDrive cannot be combined with either Active Steering or Active Roll Stabilization
Old 01-12-05, 10:41 PM
LexFather

I need the AWD option here in NJ. If I were in CA or someplace where it doesn't snow, my dream car would be the BMW 545, so I believe with AWD it will only come with Automatic. However even so, building a 530 now with decent option can reach $50K (and I am sure the AWD will be more) and you are right that is going into GS430 price range with a incredible Lexus V8 saying hello to me! But AWD is the determining factor, since I am tired of being scared when it snows and I have to drive in it. My local BMW dealer doesn't really have any further info on the pricing or availability at this time, so I am in the dark on this one too.
Gotcha dude. Funny but the Caddy STS mixes the V-8 with AWD but its very expensive loaded, like 65k. Anyway, hmmmmmmmmm, I think the AWD 530 will hit over 50k easy. A loaded 525 is 48k.

Okay, I'm at the site now. A 530 is 45k to start, 51k with the sport package, no Hids! This is not even AWD yet! Wow. Dude, it may hit high 50s!
Old 01-12-05, 10:43 PM
LexFather

I realize that this is most likely from a press kit, however it still sound good (BMW AWD performs similar / same to rear wheel drive - it's from the link I posted above):

All-wheel drive without any drawbacks in the 525i and 530i.
Introducing xDrive as an option on the 525i and 530i Sedan and Touring, BMW is enlarging the wide range of choice within the 5 Series. Now xDrive with enhanced traction for special requirements supplements the sporting performance and motoring comfort, roominess and versatility already so typical of the 5 Series. With BMW’s intelligent xDrive system, the driver has the advantage whenever required of four drive wheels without the disadvantages of many all-wheel-drive systems the rest of the time: In terms of their everyday driving characteristics, the new 5 Series with xDrive are just as agile and dynamic as their “sister” models with rear-wheel drive.
With the exception of the modifications required for all-wheel drive, the chassis and suspension of the 5 Series with xDrive is the same in principle as on the rear-wheel-drive 5 Series. Reflecting their all-wheel-drive technology, the xDrive models come standard in “basic” trim with 17-inch wheels instead of the usual 16-inch light-alloy wheels, the design and material of the wheels being the same in both cases. For reasons of the car’s package, xDrive cannot be combined with either Active Steering or Active Roll Stabilization

Dude, the last sentence is killer then. You can't get the Active steering or Active Roll Bars I was talking about.
This is what the current $3,300 sport package includes
Sport Package

* Sport suspension calibration
* Active Roll Stabilization(ARS)
* Active Steering with Servotronic power assist
* 18x 8.0 Star Spoke (Styling 123) alloy wheels, 245/40R-18 performance run-flat tires
* Shadowline exterior trim
* 12-way power front sport seats with power adjustable thigh support

So, it seems you can't get a sport package 530.
Old 01-12-05, 10:47 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, the last sentence is killer then. You can't get the Active steering or Active Roll Bars I was talking about.
This is what the current $3,300 sport package includes
Sport Package

* Sport suspension calibration
* Active Roll Stabilization(ARS)
* Active Steering with Servotronic power assist
* 18x 8.0 Star Spoke (Styling 123) alloy wheels, 245/40R-18 performance run-flat tires
* Shadowline exterior trim
* 12-way power front sport seats with power adjustable thigh support

So, it seems you can't get a sport package 530.

Ahhh you got me thinking already - do I really need AWD?! HA! The Sports Package is the way to go with a BMW, but maybe it will have some toned down sports package like the 330xi has. We shall see! Sports Packages with nice low profile, fat summer tires is not exactly a great fit for an AWD car geared for snow, etc...
Old 01-12-05, 10:49 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Gotcha dude. Funny but the Caddy STS mixes the V-8 with AWD but its very expensive loaded, like 65k. Anyway, hmmmmmmmmm, I think the AWD 530 will hit over 50k easy. A loaded 525 is 48k.

Okay, I'm at the site now. A 530 is 45k to start, 51k with the sport package, no Hids! This is not even AWD yet! Wow. Dude, it may hit high 50s!
Oh Oh, high 50K's?! This sounds almost a 545/GS430. I will have to look into this more and wait for new GS300 AWD pricing (it will probably not be as much as BMW, but have to consider if the difference is significant enough).
Old 01-12-05, 10:51 PM
LexFather

Ahhh you got me thinking already - do I really need AWD?! HA! The Sports Package is the way to go with a BMW, but maybe it will have some toned down sports package like the 330xi has. We shall see! Sports Packages with nice low profile, fat summer tires is not exactly a great fit for an AWD car geared for snow, etc...
Can't say I live in the snow belt but it seems people insist on snow tires being the biggest deal, no matter what you drive. It would be a slight pain, then you would just get a RWD sport 530. Then your at the GS 430 dilemna again.

Do u like engine work? B/C I am sure Dinan tunes the 530 and hopefully the aftermaket with F/I the Lexus 3.0 V-6. But that is pure speculation.

Well, maybe test drive a AWD A6 in the snow and see how much it helps?
Old 01-13-05, 04:33 AM
static808
Driver School Candidate

Default AWD Mania

I am in the same boat as lexusguynj. Live in NJ and need AWD, seriously thinking of getting either the 530xi or GS300 AWD. My BMW dealer rep told me a "nicely" equipped 530xi will approach 545 prices($58K+) due to the AWD package. In addition, BMW will be adding the new tweaked 3.0i engines with 255hp, so I'm sure there will be a "nominal" bump in price.

I'm hoping that the GS300 AWD V6 can be modified with some nice aftermarket parts You gotta be able to squeeze more HP out of that new V6.

MG
Old 01-13-05, 05:18 AM
biker
Lead Lap

It's really hard to decide for sure on paper facts.

I thought for sure that anything in the 3 series/IS class is physically too small a car for me. Now that both are growing - they may be big enough (although still not mid sized). Wait until April and see if the a E90 330xi might fit the bill - same drivetrain as the 530xi in a smaller platform for less money.

As is the case now, comparably loaded the er BMW will be at least 5K more than the GS. That's another thing - I thought I saw in another thread that the AWD GS300 will only come fully loaded. If you take it easy on the options, you might get close with the 5er price. And unlike the GS, the 5er going price will be much below sticker.
Old 01-13-05, 12:08 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by static808
I am in the same boat as lexusguynj. Live in NJ and need AWD, seriously thinking of getting either the 530xi or GS300 AWD. My BMW dealer rep told me a "nicely" equipped 530xi will approach 545 prices($58K+) due to the AWD package. In addition, BMW will be adding the new tweaked 3.0i engines with 255hp, so I'm sure there will be a "nominal" bump in price.

I'm hoping that the GS300 AWD V6 can be modified with some nice aftermarket parts You gotta be able to squeeze more HP out of that new V6.

MG
Glad to know someone else is out there with this issue!

As a former owner of an RX330 with the latest V6 engine with 235HP, I have to say this Lexus V6 engine was just OK, acceleration was not that smooth and whiny at times too.

I know the new GS will have a slightly different V6, but if it's anything like the ES330 or RX330, then it will not generate that much excitement (it's just a good engine with decent acceleration). Again we shall see and hope the GS V6 will be more exiciting at 245HP. You all know the current BMW 3.0 - 6 inline is a rocket of an engine at only 225HP.

Quick Reply: 06 Lexus GS300 AWD vs. 06 BMW 530xi (AWD)