GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 Lexus GS300 AWD vs. 06 BMW 530xi (AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 12:11 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
It's really hard to decide for sure on paper facts.

I thought for sure that anything in the 3 series/IS class is physically too small a car for me. Now that both are growing - they may be big enough (although still not mid sized). Wait until April and see if the a E90 330xi might fit the bill - same drivetrain as the 530xi in a smaller platform for less money.

As is the case now, comparably loaded the er BMW will be at least 5K more than the GS. That's another thing - I thought I saw in another thread that the AWD GS300 will only come fully loaded. If you take it easy on the options, you might get close with the 5er price. And unlike the GS, the 5er going price will be much below sticker.
Hey Biker, the new 3 series looks awesome and I would get one in a heartbeat, HOWEVER even with the slightly larger interior space in the new 3s, it's still a compact car and if you take clients, friends and family with you in your car, you will desire a larger car (5 series). If space is not an issue, then the 3 series is the way to go, it's sportier.

That is why I want to upgrade from my 2003 330i to the new 5 series or GS.
Old 01-14-05, 02:59 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I truly hope the new Lexus GS V6 is inspiring. You need that type of engine in SPORTS SEDAN. The other Lexus V6s in the other models (IS, ES, old GS, RX) serve more of a practical purpose and does a good job of it, but are not inspiring.

Now that GS350 engine going around in this forum in the near future seems more appealing. As much as people say Lexus doesn't have to get into the HP wars, I say why not? To appeal to a younger crowd, we all want more power and loaded with everything.
Old 01-14-05, 03:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I truly hope the new Lexus GS V6 is inspiring. You need that type of engine in SPORTS SEDAN. The other Lexus V6s in the other models (IS, ES, old GS, RX) serve more of a practical purpose and does a good job of it, but are not inspiring.

Now that GS350 engine going around in this forum in the near future seems more appealing. As much as people say Lexus doesn't have to get into the HP wars, I say why not? To appeal to a younger crowd, we all want more power and loaded with everything.
Okay, here is some insider info that I will share. The new GS300 will come with dual VVT-i, with both intake and exhaust( about time). So, I expect the new V-8 will have the same dual VVT-i.
The new GS300 will have the Direction Injection system with 1,900 PSI of fuel pressure, running with 2 fuel pumps. One electric fuel pump in the gas tank and one mechanical fuel pump one the side of the engine. The air/fuel ratio is 16:1 and they can go leaner, but they don't wanted to do that on this car.
The directed injection is an old technology and its been around for sometime, especially in diesel. It will give more hp and tq , and save on fuel economy.
Old 01-16-05, 03:22 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

FYI - Link to 06 530xi coming in the first half of this 2005 (from the Detroit Auto Show):

http://www.cars.com/go/features/auto...on_bmw_5series
Old 01-17-05, 01:06 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay, here is some insider info that I will share. The new GS300 will come with dual VVT-i, with both intake and exhaust( about time). So, I expect the new V-8 will have the same dual VVT-i.
The new GS300 will have the Direction Injection system with 1,900 PSI of fuel pressure, running with 2 fuel pumps. One electric fuel pump in the gas tank and one mechanical fuel pump one the side of the engine. The air/fuel ratio is 16:1 and they can go leaner, but they don't wanted to do that on this car.
The directed injection is an old technology and its been around for sometime, especially in diesel. It will give more hp and tq , and save on fuel economy.
It doesn't matter what technology they use, 245 will be the bottom of the list in term of HP in this class of car - and even with the 6AT I'm not sure it will move up any on that list in terms of actual performance.

Like I said though - 90%+ of GS buyers won't care about those numbers - the number that matters to them is the $39,900 that the M35 will be going for - and whather the GS300 base will be in that ballpark.
Old 01-18-05, 08:47 AM
static808
Driver School Candidate

Default Ballpark Pricing & HP

I was also depressed at first on the 245HP, but, the torque is pretty good and at a lower RPM. Besides, this car should get about 30+MPG highway which is really good. Also, I think Lexus hasn't released pricing because they are probably feeling out profit margins and also to avoid initial "sticker" shock from the die-hards. If we don't want a $42000 base car but rather a M35 at $39000, then they might drop the price or at least analyze our opinions.

I noticed this with BMW and the Z4...The Z4 priced somewhat higher than a Z3 and then immediately discounted due to poor reception from diehard Z3 fans. BMW missed the initial price boat and thus Z4 sales are still subpar. I'm sure the Bangle design had something to do with the subpar sales but price is the ultimate factor.

The M35 is priced to buy and not priced to see. Lets hope Lexus does the same for the GS.

MG
Old 01-18-05, 09:50 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

I agree....

the M35 is priced to BUY...and not priced to see. For 39,900 , withouth adding any options to the car, you are getting an awesome packed vehicle with so much of technology, that its phenomenal. However, I am more than 100% sure the 2006 base GS300 will be more simply because of the prestige with the lexus name.

My guess is the MSRP of the base GS300 will be between 41,900- 43,000.
Old 01-18-05, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by akbergq
I agree....

the M35 is priced to BUY...and not priced to see. For 39,900 , withouth adding any options to the car, you are getting an awesome packed vehicle with so much of technology, that its phenomenal. However, I am more than 100% sure the 2006 base GS300 will be more simply because of the prestige with the lexus name.

Well its not just prestige. The GS is built in the Tahara plant, which is hailed as the best car plant in the world (The LS is built there as well). You also have higher resale value. The GS may have better fuel economy. You also get a new 6 speed auto instead of a 5 speed auto like the old GS. You have a brand new engine whereas the M35 has an engine that is nearly used in every single NIssan product. Luxury=rarity.

I am not bad mouthing the M35 at all just point out other factors that come into play on why the Lexus maybe priced more.
Old 01-18-05, 07:09 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akbergq
I agree....

Either way, it will be tough to even get a bare boned car with no options. The dealer lots would be full of loaded GS300 AWD and M35s with so many options tacked onto the base price that you would just have to settle with one since you want the car badly and don't want to wait for months for a special order vehicle.

I recently bought a Lexus GX and didn't need the 3rd Row seat (2K+ option), but was told it's like a mandatory option and if you really didn't want one without it, it would take up to 8-10 weeks to get in, so I opted for the 3rd Row seat and waited 3-4 weeks (due to the new 2005s were slowly trickling in).

Expect the M35s and GS300s to be in the mid to high $40K range, which is still better than the $50K-$60K range for the BMW 530xi.
Old 01-18-05, 08:13 PM
static808
Driver School Candidate

I hope the GS300 AWD loaded is mid to high $40's. That would be reasonable. I'm worried about the MSRP being like the Acura RL $49790 with tax its over $52K.

Hopefully Lexus can be a few thousand lower.

Will there be any hope for a Lexus dealer in the Tri-State area doing a small discount on a 2006 GS or is that far fetched?

I only dealt with BMW and Honda Dealers and was able to get a nice discount. This is a new model and I doubt Lexus will even think of doing any deals...
Old 01-18-05, 11:51 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Wasn't there another thread that mentioned that the AWD GS will have very few options (maybe only the NAV) - basically loaded? In that case, it will be right around the price of the RL - 50K. That's another place that the M35AWD can steal some sales away - it will start at 42K+. Even a lightly optioned 530xi will be just over 50K.
Old 01-19-05, 05:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well its not just prestige. The GS is built in the Tahara plant, which is hailed as the best car plant in the world (The LS is built there as well). You also have higher resale value. The GS may have better fuel economy. You also get a new 6 speed auto instead of a 5 speed auto like the old GS. You have a brand new engine whereas the M35 has an engine that is nearly used in every single NIssan product. Luxury=rarity.

I am not bad mouthing the M35 at all just point out other factors that come into play on why the Lexus maybe priced more.
I did an comparison of CA and US prices in another thread and arrived to conclusion that based on old prices, new GS will cost from 42k for RWD, 44.5k for AWD and 51k for V8. Basically you get a lot of kit for that 1.5k increase in base price from 2005 model, like HIDs, leather interior, bigger engine, 6 speed auto, upgraded stereo, etc, etc, etc, that before you had to pay more than 3k for to get.

So even if they dont lower US pricing more, it will be fairly good. And for people leasing their car, due to higher residual projected prices, their lease will be cheaper than M35's... hehe.

I dont know why people complain of the engine... 0-60 in 6.8 sec is 1 sec better than before, and on par with new 530i. Certainly not slow and the engine has 5 less hp than BMW engine and 5 more torque than BMW engine...
Old 01-19-05, 05:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
I did an comparison of CA and US prices in another thread and arrived to conclusion that based on old prices, new GS will cost from 42k for RWD, 44.5k for AWD and 51k for V8. Basically you get a lot of kit for that 1.5k increase in base price from 2005 model, like HIDs, leather interior, bigger engine, 6 speed auto, upgraded stereo, etc, etc, etc, that before you had to pay more than 3k for to get.

So even if they dont lower US pricing more, it will be fairly good. And for people leasing their car, due to higher residual projected prices, their lease will be cheaper than M35's... hehe.

I dont know why people complain of the engine... 0-60 in 6.8 sec is 1 sec better than before, and on par with new 530i. Certainly not slow and the engine has 5 less hp than BMW engine and 5 more torque than BMW engine...
That is b/c people are so caught up in HP figures. a 245hp car with a 6 speed auto with decent gearing will be as fast as a 280hp car with a 5 speed. Look at how swift the LS became with the additional cog, a 1/2 second drop in times. Still though, it is odd the Avalon will have more HP.
Infiniti has to price their cars lower, to attract people to the brand. Similar to how Lexus used to price thier products below the competitors to attract buyers. Looking at Lexus's heritage and prices now, they don't have to do that. The ES 330, RX 330 entry level Lexus jumped in price. People now do believe that Lexus is on par with BMW/Benz, so they are willing to pay for the product. Whereas before, Lexus had to price below the competitors.
Old 01-19-05, 10:02 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by static808
I hope the GS300 AWD loaded is mid to high $40's. That would be reasonable. I'm worried about the MSRP being like the Acura RL $49790 with tax its over $52K.

Hopefully Lexus can be a few thousand lower.

Will there be any hope for a Lexus dealer in the Tri-State area doing a small discount on a 2006 GS or is that far fetched?

I only dealt with BMW and Honda Dealers and was able to get a nice discount. This is a new model and I doubt Lexus will even think of doing any deals...
I'm probably wrong but I think a loaded GS300 AWD will be the same or higher than the RL MSRP which is actually $48,900, and $48, 165 in Hawaii and Alaska. Both have a $570 destination charge added to the MSRP. A comparable loaded Infiniti M35 AWD already MSRP's near or over $50K (Depending on if you get the Technology Package or Premium Package) so if Lexus can undercut Infiniti who has been known to bring our cheaper priced cars than their competition it will be one heck of an effort.
Old 01-19-05, 11:58 PM
biker
Lead Lap

As we all know after the intro hype dies down, the street price of many cars come down from MSRP. So the only question which car and by how much. The A6 is already 1-2K below MSRP, the RL discounts are about to start, the 530 discounts have been available a couple of months after intro (although BMWs can always be had for less via Eurpean Delivery - Lexus should have Japanese Delivery). Going by historical trends, I think Lexus will be sticking to the MSRP the longest, although if demand overwhelms capacity, the new M might fetch MSRP for a long time.

Quick Reply: 06 Lexus GS300 AWD vs. 06 BMW 530xi (AWD)