GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What are the chances of getting the 06 GS under msrp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 10:49 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are the chances of getting the 06 GS under msrp?

Do you think there will be any dealer that will budge on the price of the new GS? I've heard stories that when new cars come out, dealers might sell it under msrp the first few weeks so there will be more cars on the road. Also, with the "competition" of the RL and M45 there might be an incentive to lower the price or is this just wishful thinking?
Old 12-31-04, 10:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Your chances of getting a new model that is newly released in it's first year of sale is ZERO. You will most likely see markups more than anything. As supply meets demand...and as time goes on, the prices will drop. Don't expect to see sales of the 06 GS under MSRP for a while.
Old 12-31-04, 05:01 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking you have 2 chances, slim and none And definately more of the none!
Old 12-31-04, 05:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by frebay
Do you think there will be any dealer that will budge on the price of the new GS? I've heard stories that when new cars come out, dealers might sell it under msrp the first few weeks so there will be more cars on the road. Also, with the "competition" of the RL and M45 there might be an incentive to lower the price or is this just wishful thinking?
Unlesss you really are good with a dealer, probably none. Or you can try buying at a smaller dealer.
Old 12-31-04, 05:42 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

The new Mustang GT's are going for 5K over list in my parts.
Old 12-31-04, 07:10 PM
marcpitch
Driver

Since when does buying from a smaller dealer mean you will get a better deal? The dealer whose allotment is small will do everything in his power to hold at MSRP or above. In fact, it will most likely be the smaller guy, if any, that marks up above MSRP. I experienced this first hand in 1997 when I needed to be one of the first to get the new C-5 Corvette. The small and medium dealers were selling for $5,000-15,000 above MSRP, while the largest Corvette dealer in the country sold 10-20 cars a week for MSRP.

While it will be difficult to buy the new GS under MSRP, it will not be impossible. Also, this trend will NOT last a full year....maybe 6 months. The fact that there are so many redesigned direct competiors will help potential 2006 GS buyers buy for under MSRP.

Lastly, the differential between invoice and MSRP seems to be noticably higher for Lexus versus it biggest competitors. This would seem to indicate that dealers could and will give a little on price, if not at first, certainly after 6 months.
Old 12-31-04, 07:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by marcpitch
Since when does buying from a smaller dealer mean you will get a better deal? The dealer whose allotment is small will do everything in his power to hold at MSRP or above. In fact, it will most likely be the smaller guy, if any, that marks up above MSRP. I experienced this first hand in 1997 when I needed to be one of the first to get the new C-5 Corvette. The small and medium dealers were selling for $5,000-15,000 above MSRP, while the largest Corvette dealer in the country sold 10-20 cars a week for MSRP.

While it will be difficult to buy the new GS under MSRP, it will not be impossible. Also, this trend will NOT last a full year....maybe 6 months. The fact that there are so many redesigned direct competiors will help potential 2006 GS buyers buy for under MSRP.

Lastly, the differential between invoice and MSRP seems to be noticably higher for Lexus versus it biggest competitors. This would seem to indicate that dealers could and will give a little on price, if not at first, certainly after 6 months.
Good point marcpitch. I was wrong in my assesment.
Old 01-01-05, 01:37 AM
biker
Lead Lap

A good indicatior might be the RL - they're all going for MSRP now - I bet by April they will start to come down.

The other thing that might influence the sales is the availability of the GS350 - if people are waiting for those there might be some price movement on the GS300. I wonder if that's why Lexus is offering the GS300 now - if the sales are not going good enough they'll switch to the GS350.
Old 01-02-05, 04:10 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by biker
A good indicatior might be the RL - they're all going for MSRP now - I bet by April they will start to come down.

The other thing that might influence the sales is the availability of the GS350 - if people are waiting for those there might be some price movement on the GS300. I wonder if that's why Lexus is offering the GS300 now - if the sales are not going good enough they'll switch to the GS350.

The RL is already going for under MRSP in s. cali. around 2k . Also I doubt the 350 will be out anytim soon.
Old 01-03-05, 12:42 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Also I doubt the 350 will be out anytim soon.
If I were a knowledgeable person (someone who hangs out here perhaps) and know the GS350 is right around the corner (next year) I'd hold off buying the GS300 now.
Old 01-03-05, 08:18 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default 06 under msrp

Guys,

not too many people have a better hookup on Lexus vehicles than me (quick refresher - my wife's family owns 3 Lexus dealerships and a total of 20+ car dealerships - at least 7 are in the Toyota family including the 3 Lexus) and I can't get a new (1st year) model of any Lexus until all customer wait list orders are filled. So I'm leaning towards slim to none , but hey if you do, more power to ya!
Old 01-04-05, 03:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the waiting list on the 06 gs is long. it's not as long as that for the rx330 though, but it's long enough to keep the price way up for quite a while. imho, don't even try to look for deals the first year
Old 01-04-05, 09:12 AM
frebay
Pole Position

waiting list? all the dealers I have called in s. cali haven't even started a waiting list.
Old 01-04-05, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

waiting list? all the dealers I have called in s. cali haven't even started a waiting list.
for sure you didn't call longo lexus to start with. they have a list with more than 50 people already, and the list started early 2004 if i remember right
Old 01-04-05, 10:50 AM
marcpitch
Driver

watch me get a price of at least $1,000 under MSRP during the first 6 months of the 2006 intro....unless I decide on the M45

Quick Reply: What are the chances of getting the 06 GS under msrp?