GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

05-06 BMW 530i E 350 GS 300 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 09:13 AM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 05-06 BMW 530i E 350 GS 300 AWD

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=6][COLOR=Gray]

Jarrett.

3 very close competors. 2 german cars and 1 japan car that is redined and restyled and re enginered.

With the germans already giving the New Lexus GS Auto Trophy 2004 in Germany ...

Im sure that it makes them very nervous and makes them want to change the enginering around in order to be able to compete with the GS 300 AWD.

In fact, BMW has already made changes for the 2005/2006 530i. They gave the horsepower an up grade from 225 horses to 258 horses.

And Mercedes has really made changes to its horse power, it went from 221 horses to 272 horses. Now its called the E 350. keep in mind that because of the power changes the fuel econmy did drop a little.

Now they have more horse power than the 06 GS 300 & GS 300 AWD.

Maybe instead of trying to create "Hybrid cars" they should focus on putting more orse power in their cars.

And add some station wagons to the GS series.
Old 12-29-04, 09:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jarrett
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=6][COLOR=Gray]

Jarrett.

3 very close competors. 2 german cars and 1 japan car that is redined and restyled and re enginered.

With the germans already giving the New Lexus GS Auto Trophy 2004 in Germany ...

Im sure that it makes them very nervous and makes them want to change the enginering around in order to be able to compete with the GS 300 AWD.

In fact, BMW has already made changes for the 2005/2006 530i. They gave the horsepower an up grade from 225 horses to 258 horses.

And Mercedes has really made changes to its horse power, it went from 221 horses to 272 horses. Now its called the E 350. keep in mind that because of the power changes the fuel econmy did drop a little.

Now they have more horse power than the 06 GS 300 & GS 300 AWD.

Maybe instead of trying to create "Hybrid cars" they should focus on putting more orse power in their cars.

And add some station wagons to the GS series.
Lexus has rarely been a hp leader. And the Germans keep putting more and more power into cars, which is great, but the reliablity has not improved. This is what is hurting the Germans more than anything. We have tons of converts here who are simply tired of their expensive German car being in the shop.
There is going to be a crossover coming too from Lexus, based of the AWD GS. More wagon than SUV.
Hybrids are simply the future and its sad most other companies are still trying to do things the old way. Gas is getting more expensive and is finite. With hybrids, you get not only better fuel economy but better performance at only a 10% increase in MSRP.
It also is requries much more complicated engine to create a hybrid system, then to make a new engine.
Welcome to Clublexus. I fear that the Germans are still cocky about things and think j/b they have the badge (and they do) people will continue to buy their more expensive products. Never before has Japan offered so many luxury sedans.

Old 12-29-04, 09:52 AM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus has rarely been a hp leader. And the Germans keep putting more and more power into cars, which is great, but the reliablity has not improved. This is what is hurting the Germans more than anything. We have tons of converts here who are simply tired of their expensive German car being in the shop.
There is going to be a crossover coming too from Lexus, based of the AWD GS. More wagon than SUV.
Hybrids are simply the future and its sad most other companies are still trying to do things the old way. Gas is getting more expensive and is finite. With hybrids, you get not only better fuel economy but better performance at only a 10% increase in MSRP.
It also is requries much more complicated engine to create a hybrid system, then to make a new engine.
Welcome to Clublexus. I fear that the Germans are still cocky about things and think j/b they have the badge (and they do) people will continue to buy their more expensive products. Never before has Japan offered so many luxury sedans.
Jarrett#2

I love lexus im a diehard fan. I like no other car but it espically the GS series.

But lexus has lost so many customers to other car competars because of not having all wheel drive.

Lexus is very dependabel in fact, i think they are #1. But they have to start catching up with the world if they want to be & stay # 1.

sometimes i wish that i could help them out on designs and enginering because i have so many great ideas tat could really help their sales.
Old 12-29-04, 10:08 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

jarret lexus enginering department has always focused towards simplictic luxury reliable cars. Never a hp contender but never an engine that did not perform. Never did lexus make a design such as the new gs i think this is one of the biggest wrisks they took yet. In this desing they got rid of the gs trademark the rear quad lights. Somethign i though in some way they would always incorparate into the gs designs. In a nut shell jarret lexus is not realy targeting a market in which i think u would like them to target. They are targeting a middle age slighly higher then middle class set of people but lexus is so good that they are getting all they target plus millions younger so why would they target 20 yr old kids and then lose all their middle age buyers. Do you see this jarret lexus is a business man and a great car at that
Old 12-29-04, 11:01 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Jarrett#2
But lexus has lost so many customers to other car competars because of not having all wheel drive.
That's like saying they lost so many customers because they offer no MT. While true, the numbers are miniscule. The AWD sales of the GS300 are going to just as small as the V8 sales, a very distant second to the regular GS300. In this segment BMW is the only one that offeres an MT but those numbers, like the rest of the US market are like 10% or less of total sales.
You have to relalize that the bottom line is money - if it doesn't make sense to offer something that others might have, it won't be offered - simple as that.
Old 12-29-04, 01:15 PM
LexFather

Jarrett#2

I love lexus im a diehard fan. I like no other car but it espically the GS series.

Lexus is very dependabel in fact, i think they are #1. But they have to start catching up with the world if they want to be & stay # 1.

sometimes i wish that i could help them out on designs and enginering because i have so many great ideas tat could really help their sales.

Actually Lexus has only gained customers. They are number 1 in sales here for the 4th probably 5th year in a row. In Europe, they are far behind the Germans but sales are increasing (even if its small improvement).

You are correct about Lexus not resting on laurals. That is why the next GS has the new design language. And offers AWD.
And that is why hyrbids are coming
And the IS will have more engine choices and a coupe.

Should be fun!

Old 12-30-04, 07:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Some interesting opinions here.

jarrett - Lexus has lost sales to other makers because they don't have AWD? I highly doubt it. What models? Does MB even have an AWD E series at this point (maybe the wagon?) and BMW doesn't in the 5 series (3 only I think).

Couple of you mentioned Lexus has not been an HP leader. What are you talking about? The GS400/430 has lead in HP over the 5 series and E series throughout almost its entire production run, not including the E55 and M5 which are in a whole different league pricewise and even availability. The new 545i finally beats the 2nd gen GS but I think Lexus will up the ante.

And to 99.9% of those interested in a Lexus, 300HP is PLENTY of power. Everyone I know who isn't much into cars but has driven a GS400 or 430 or an LS400/430 says the same thing - holy smokes that car is powerful!

A great amount of our perceptions (yes even us on here) are influenced by MARKETING though, not reality.
Old 12-30-04, 09:45 AM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Some interesting opinions here.

jarrett - Lexus has lost sales to other makers because they don't have AWD? I highly doubt it. What models? Does MB even have an AWD E series at this point (maybe the wagon?) and BMW doesn't in the 5 series (3 only I think).

Couple of you mentioned Lexus has not been an HP leader. What are you talking about? The GS400/430 has lead in HP over the 5 series and E series throughout almost its entire production run, not including the E55 and M5 which are in a whole different league pricewise and even availability. The new 545i finally beats the 2nd gen GS but I think Lexus will up the ante.

And to 99.9% of those interested in a Lexus, 300HP is PLENTY of power. Everyone I know who isn't much into cars but has driven a GS400 or 430 or an LS400/430 says the same thing - holy smokes that car is powerful!

A great amount of our perceptions (yes even us on here) are influenced by MARKETING though, not reality.

First of all read and go to Sticky: 2006 Lexus GS Official Info Thread.(56k grab a lunch tons of pics) ( 1 2 )

His web site thing and denny clements will tell you that they lost a lot of customers to the snow belt. I know what the hell im talkin about.

And yes lexus is a little slow on the horsepower in their cars. How come they dont have an V-12 engine in the flagship lexus LS 430?

Or an 493Hp in the gs Series?

Like i said from the start they are dependable wonderful cars with a whole lot of luxury but they lack hP.
Old 12-30-04, 12:37 PM
LexFather

First of all read and go to Sticky: 2006 Lexus GS Official Info Thread.(56k grab a lunch tons of pics) ( 1 2 )

His web site thing and denny clements will tell you that they lost a lot of customers to the snow belt. I know what the hell im talkin about.

And yes lexus is a little slow on the horsepower in their cars. How come they dont have an V-12 engine in the flagship lexus LS 430?

Like i said from the start they are dependable wonderful cars with a whole lot of luxury but they lack hP.
Newb, this is a forum and Clublexus is about respect. There is no need to have this tone here.

Old 12-30-04, 01:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I've read most of that thread. Who is 'he' (as in 'His web site')? And to what car models did they lose those customers to? Audi!?

I'm glad you know what the hell you're talking about. But as I mentioned if you'd read my post, NOT COUNTING very limited production and VERY expensive M5 and E55 type models, the GS had more horse power and torque than the E500 and previous 5 series so it is certainly competitive. Do you disagree with that statement? Hopefully in over 10,000 posts here and endless reading I've learned a thing or two.

What do you drive by the way, and where are you located?
Old 12-30-04, 01:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Large HP numbers doesn't necessarily mean better nor is it what Lexus' target audience is looking for.
Old 12-30-04, 01:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

To answer the first part, do you have emperical evidence and statistics to show a loss of customers in the snow belt? From what I understand Lexus sales has grown exponentially all over the world, especially in the United States.

Lexus isn't really slow on numbers because if you think about it, Lexus is the #1 Luxury brand nameplate in sales for the United States. The LS430 despite it being 290hp and a tad lighter than the 300hp SC430 is as fast in straight line acceleration. The Lexus flagship despite having 290hp is much faster than the Acura flagship of 300hp. Is that not a fact? A V12 is found in the Toyota flagship the Toyota Century in Japan. Not really a viable option nor is it something most Americans want in a flagship luxury vehicle, especially in these times of rising commodities.
Old 12-30-04, 02:54 PM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
To answer the first part, do you have emperical evidence and statistics to show a loss of customers in the snow belt? From what I understand Lexus sales has grown exponentially all over the world, especially in the United States.

Lexus isn't really slow on numbers because if you think about it, Lexus is the #1 Luxury brand nameplate in sales for the United States. The LS430 despite it being 290hp and a tad lighter than the 300hp SC430 is as fast in straight line acceleration. The Lexus flagship despite having 290hp is much faster than the Acura flagship of 300hp. Is that not a fact? A V12 is found in the Toyota flagship the Toyota Century in Japan. Not really a viable option nor is it something most Americans want in a flagship luxury vehicle, especially in these times of rising commodities.
That still dosent mean that they arent slow on HP numbers. Maybe people avaully perfer luxury over performance.

Its all about the facts, Just because they gained customers dosent mean that they couldnt have more.

They probably lost some because of the lack Of ALLLL WHEEEEEELLLLL DRRRRIIIIVVVVEEEEE.

Clements concedes that the brand has lost customers in the snow belt by not equipping its cars with awd.

And what does it matter what car i drive Do u have a Lexus?

I do its an 1993 GS 300 & 2003 GS 430.
Old 12-30-04, 05:40 PM
xioix
Racer

why are you comparing cars that cost more than the GS300

for the price of the E320 you can get an GS430 with more power
Old 12-30-04, 07:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

So you're saying they lost alot of customers? It's pretty clear they didn't lose you since you do own two of them...and you still live in the snowbelt correct?

They probably lost some because of the lack Of ALLLL WHEEEEEELLLLL DRRRRIIIIVVVVEEEEE.
Hmm you seem frustrated, having trouble spelling out words in a friendly matter? As you said, "probably" is just a guess. That's not emperical evidence or credible statistics to say any sales were lost period. Even if they did lose sales, it's not enough to justify considering every customer they lose, they gain 10 or more.

Really? What is your occupation and what is your background? Share your ideas with us, you never know who is reading or listening.

If you're such a Lexus diehard fan, why all the negativity? Diehard fans stick through it thick and thin. No need to convey yourself with an elitest attitude. I'm a Toyota/Lexus diehard, does that make me better than you? Nope. Can I share a litlte info w/you? Your two GS' are Toyota Aristo's in Japan. Sorry to burst your bubble.

And what does it matter what car i drive Do u have a Lexus?

I do its an 1993 GS 300 & 2003 GS 430.
For someone that's new to our community, you sure have made a grand welcome for yourself w/the first few posts you've made. That's great you've been a repeat GS customer in a 10 year span! But why the negativity? Do you feel as if you're better than any of us here? Everyone here in our community is here to learn and share ideas. Just because you live in the snowbelt means you know better than anyone else that lives in the snowbelt or anywhere in the world.

And yes I do have a Lexus. It's a 15 month old 2004 IS300 with almost 40k miles and very proud owner on top of that.

Since there seems to be a little hositility in the air, let me start off by starting off on the right foot...Welcome to CL!

Last edited by flipside909; 12-30-04 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 05-06 BMW 530i E 350 GS 300 AWD