GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS/M35/45/RL comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 06:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
Fine, the Avalon has great straight-line performance. That says nothing about the handling and driving characteristics, and the car can't touch the RL in that department.

It's also funny then by that logic, since the GS AWD is nothing but an Avalon with AWD, with poorer straightline performance to boot.

Back to M/RL/GS.
The Avalon is a streched Camry Platform. The RL is a stretched Accord platform with AWD added.
THe GS is RWD or AWD platform specific.
The funny thing is, I think the Avalon and RL attract the same kind people. Maybe just me.

Old 01-10-05, 07:11 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Avalon is a streched Camry Platform. The RL is a stretched Accord platform with AWD added.
The funny thing is, I think the Avalon and RL attract the same kind people. Maybe just me.
It is really difficult to say one way or the other if the RL is really a simple stretch Accord platform. Yes, the RL is based from Honda's Global platform that the Accord and many other cars share, but that platform was designed to be universal and easily modified and tweaked for a broad base of vehicles and specifications. In a way, it really is not an Accord platform or a RL platform until the Global Platform is jigged and moddified to be so. Also, I haven't researched this far enough, but the RL chassis/platform might not even be based on the Global Platform and could be an all new specific chassis since it is an aluminum chassis whereas the Accord and other cars are not. I don't know this one way or the other just yet, but I'm sure we will all know sooner or later.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-10-05 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 07:14 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think it's just you, buddy.
Old 01-10-05, 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by akbergq
Hey guys....

I dont know if anyione has a thread for general cars or not.....but after seeing this car - my jaw hit the floor...

I think it is by far one of the best designed cars i have EVER seen - for a sedan..

the new mercedes CLS 4 door coupe....

im going to be honest...if i had 30K extra to spend....I would drop the new GS in a heartbeat and get that car instead...

but i think the car is over priced too.

Its MSRP will be between 65-75K...way over my budget,

I think after considering everything...the new GS300 will be a FANTASTIC value for what they give you and the styling and performace and features....and above all - PRICE.
Yup, the CLS is incredible. Suggest you take this to the Car Chat forum.

On the front cover of my AutoWeek is the Brabus CLS - even my wife who has no interest in cars said it's beautiful.
Old 01-10-05, 08:56 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, must be just you.

I haven't read or heard of a single person cross-shopping the Avalon and the RL.
Old 01-12-05, 11:29 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it is just you, and it's good to see you couldn't go one day without Acura-bashing. That means it's still top-of-mind for you. As they say, "it's when they STOP talking about you that you have to worry."

Anyway, since I think we've heard every possible opinion on the RL, here are a few excerpts on the M35 from the February issue of Automobile Magazine...

PERFORMANCE
"If you drive the new M hard, you'll know that Infiniti is at last close to being the Japanese BMW. With cars this good, Infiniti's upcoming sixteenth birthday should be sweet."

INTERIOR
"Matte rosewood trim or aluminum swoop and sweep across the M's intstrument panel in a design purportedly inspired by a piano keyboard. Nissan's cost cutters did not show up for this particular recital, so the cabin materials, if not best in class (Audi), are on par with Mercedes and superior to Cadillac."

EXTERIOR
"But Infiniti still hasn't made the turn down Easy Street. Step outside the M, and behold... what? A generic Asian-sedan shape with a big, bland rear bumper, a C-pillar kink borrowed from BMW, and a handsome grille plastered with a logo that's largely meaningless to America's luxury-car buyers. At first glance, you might think the M35/M45 is a gussied-up Nissan Maxima or Altima. This car has lots of style, but it's generic style. Infiniti surely has learned from the FX that captivating design, combined with world-class engineering and performance, is its ticket to the big time."
Old 01-12-05, 12:58 PM
LexFather

I think the most useful posts have been made and thanks to everyone for a great thread.