GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Third Gen GS Sound System?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 11:14 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Gen GS Sound System?

Anyone have any info on the gs base sound system because i have read htings like 96 watt stereo which is disapointing. Does anyone have info on this or the upgrade package that will be available
Old 12-20-04, 04:53 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not actually 96 watts...that's the continuous average power I would believe, because even my Mazda has a 100 watts and it cost a lot less than a Lexus GS. I am for sure the optional sound system is the Mark Levinson audio system which in my opinion is really great sounding.
Old 12-21-04, 12:28 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

96 watts is what the base sound system in the 98-05 GS is rated at. I think that system is made by Pioneer, but I'm not positive or anything. I would think that they would upgrade this along with the new generation, but who knows...

And yes 96 watts is unrealisticly low. They rate very conservatively based on RMS at low total harmonic distortion. Much unlike something like the Monsoon systems GM puts in their cars... they have "10 speakers and 500 watts" in the 97-02 Trans Ams... but man it sure doesn't sound like it. Upon further investigation you find out those are 10 very cheap speakers and 500 watts is an absolute peak at terrible THD. Real RMS power at a realistic THD is a fraction of the 500 advertised watts. It's all about marketing, and unfortunately amp power and speaker power handling is one of those things that can be grossly overexagerated when marketing to a public that doesn't know any better.

Mark Levinson always builds its system specifically for each car, so I'm sure they are building one specifically for this car, and since the last time they built it up was 2001, I'm sure in 5 years they've made some impreovements to their amps, speakers, and design practices.

I just really hope they finally incoporate DVD-Audio and/or SACD into their cars. I mean it's just retarded that they have had a center channel since 2001, but only capable of 2-channel processing... the center channel is just tack-on realistically. Like listening to a 2-channel CD in simulated surround sound. Any audiophile will tell you that's going to be very innaccurate.

Last edited by Threxx; 12-21-04 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 04:26 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Yeah i kno a **** loas about cars themselves and **** but trying to get into the systems and tvs and aftermarket **** if u kno wut i mean. But even my common knowledge told me 96 watts is extreamly low. And myself sometimes driving my brother 04 tl i am spoiled. Hes got i dunno how many watts but dvd audio and was sed to be one of the most crisp systems on the market in that cars price range. But anyways i hope that Mark Levinson does upgrade the system one for quality and 2 for marketing liek u said if other are marketing bad things and selling good imagine if Mark Levinson marketed good and sold good **** they would blow up bigger then bose because from what i heard(05 maxima) bose is a tad bit over rated but also i heard it in other cars and it was clear i guess u pay for what u get right
Old 12-21-04, 06:22 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
Yeah i kno a **** loas about cars themselves and **** but trying to get into the systems and tvs and aftermarket **** if u kno wut i mean. But even my common knowledge told me 96 watts is extreamly low. And myself sometimes driving my brother 04 tl i am spoiled. Hes got i dunno how many watts but dvd audio and was sed to be one of the most crisp systems on the market in that cars price range. But anyways i hope that Mark Levinson does upgrade the system one for quality and 2 for marketing liek u said if other are marketing bad things and selling good imagine if Mark Levinson marketed good and sold good **** they would blow up bigger then bose because from what i heard(05 maxima) bose is a tad bit over rated but also i heard it in other cars and it was clear i guess u pay for what u get right
Bose in Nissan products has sucked hard with a few exceptions, especially considering they usually have the nerve to charge almost a grand for the "upgrade".

Mark Levinson will still blow the TL system out of the water, but the imaging will still only be limited to 2 channels, so while the clarity, power, etc of the ML is many times better than the Acura TL's system... the TL does have 6 channels which can't be disputed, and some may prefer it. That's why I was saying I wish ML would get on the boat and get a 5.1 DVD-Audio and SACD setup.

The TL's system is rated at 225 watts. It's made by Panasonic, which is why it uses DVD-Audio (their technology) and not SACD (sony's technology).

One of my best friends has an 05 TL and the imaging on his system definitely kills my Nakamichi, but the sheer impact, volume, and response of my Nak is still a cut above his (though not by much IMO if he's playing a DVD-A and I'm stuck with a CD). If it's CD vs CD then my Nak system still kills his. DVD-A is a huge advantage.
Old 12-21-04, 06:33 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Yo the rl has a sick system. 300 watts bose i heard it... it is amazing. It has a noise cancellationing system. It took them like 3 years to design. It has the most advanced computer in it. If you put a reg cd into it it automaticaly converts it into a dvd audio format. Very amazing system amzaing car at that
Old 12-21-04, 06:53 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
Yo the rl has a sick system. 300 watts bose i heard it... it is amazing. It has a noise cancellationing system. It took them like 3 years to design. It has the most advanced computer in it. If you put a reg cd into it it automaticaly converts it into a dvd audio format. Very amazing system amzaing car at that
Yeah I was very impressed by it for sure. I LOVE the noise cancelation, although it could be even better IMO (it doesn't filter out but a limited range of road noise... there's still some road noise plus wind and tire noise)

You can't covert a CD to DVD Audio... I mean you can make a CD simulate surround sound, but home surround sound receivers have been able to do that with any 2-channel format (TV, playstation, radio, CD, tape, etc) for years and honestly in most people's opinions it sounds worse than just true clean 2-channel.

It's like taking a 1 megapixel picture and 'upverting' it to 5 megapixels. It's not going to look any better... just granier or artificially sharpened.

What I really like is the real time traffic monitor (which only works in certain large cities not including Memphis where I live as of now). I wonder if the XM radio can play in a true 5.1 channel format? Supposedly XM is going to start 5.1 broadcasts very soon (I keep hearing them talk about it on my XM channels)
Old 12-22-04, 06:40 AM
that_guy
Driver

On the British Lexus site, it says that:

"Complementing this is a custom-designed Mark Levinson® 14-speaker premium hi-fi system.."

Whether this will be standard or optional I dont' know.
Old 12-22-04, 07:32 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

I hope to god that option will not cost an arm and a leg. But what i figure is the first option will be nav incl backup camera. Second will be that plus the mark levinson and then sumin else for liek 8000 package that is jus how lexus does it... personally i want the navi wut the camera and the system..... because all i plan to do to it when i get it is capri giovani , 3 tvs , and tints i want the system int he car to be as good as possible wutout adding all that bs subs and wiring
Old 12-22-04, 07:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also about to post that I heard something about a 14 speaker ML system...but you beat me to it

-Michael-
Old 12-22-04, 03:15 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I was also about to post that I heard something about a 14 speaker ML system...but you beat me to it

-Michael-
The ML system in the new Crown Majesta has 14 speakers. I don't see why the system in the new GS doesn't.

BTW, the ML system in the Crown Majesta does play DVD-A in 6 channels. Hopefully they're bringing the same system to all the future Lexus models.

http://toyota.jp/Showroom/All_toyota...vi/index1.html

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-22-04 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 03:42 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

A real sub would be nice
not some free air junk

Erick G
Old 12-22-04, 04:02 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Erick G
A real sub would be nice
not some free air junk

Erick G
Sealed and ported subs take up more space in the trunk, cost more to build, and take more power to make sound as loud as a properly designed free air sub. Hey... I'm just impressed that the Nakamichi system in my current GS actually uses sealed enclosures w/ component speakers in all 4 doors.
Old 12-22-04, 04:38 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

I agree but still should be available as an option

Erick G
Old 12-23-04, 08:50 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Yup in my brother tl i beleive he has a 10` sub and does not take up any trunk space. I really believe acura has came a far way with their systems and their cars unlike other car manufacters they have multiple companies making their systems they have els= panasonic they have bose unlike mb having all bose if u see what i am hinting at. But hopefully someone will find the details on the 06 gs sound system i am guessing mabey their will be a difference from the 300 to the 430

Quick Reply: Third Gen GS Sound System?