GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to program Homelink to garage ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-03, 11:05 PM
RefinedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to program Homelink to garage ?

Tried everything in the manual but still can't get it to program.
-1st method to hold homelink button for 20+ seconds, and press garage door remote button (1 inch away).....doesn't work

-2nd method is to press code button on garage door opener receiver, than go back in GS and hold homelink button....Nada

anyone know what I am doin' wrong?
THX
GS4OOpilot
Old 10-09-03, 12:47 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I may have your solution. Press your homelink button (keep it pressed) then press your garage door opener (keep it pressed down also) until you see the red light on the homelink blink. That should work. if not....I dont know what to tell ya ?

oh yeah, garage door opener when pressed should be about an inch or so away from the homelink button

Last edited by AlphaJZS; 10-09-03 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-09-03, 06:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by PandaGS430
I think I may have your solution. Press your homelink button (keep it pressed) then press your garage door opener (keep it pressed down also) until you see the red light on the homelink blink. That should work. if not....I dont know what to tell ya ?

oh yeah, garage door opener when pressed should be about an inch or so away from the homelink button
That's exactly what you need to do. I did the same thing and programmed mine without any problem.
Old 10-09-03, 07:24 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately, just using the remote won't work if you have one of the newer garage door openers that has a "rolling code". You have to go to the actual ceiling-mounted garage door opener and find the "learning" button. According to the manual (both car and garage door opener), you need to press the learning button, then quickly go to the car and press the Homelink button twice.

That said, the process seems to be more difficult with some cars than with others. I was able to program Homelink on my SC430 after repeated tries, but I still haven't been able to get my GS3 to accept the code.

GS400pilot-
If you finally get this to work, please let me know how you did it!
Old 10-09-03, 08:43 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

You might have the newer garage opener. As dseag2 said, you need to have one person presses on the learning button on the garage receiver (mount on theceiling of your garage), and another person to press on one of the car's homelink button. Check it by pressing on the homelink button that you selected for about 1 second. This is how I programmed mine. Hope it works for you.

Hung
Old 10-09-03, 09:23 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you program Homelink's transmitter into a garage opener that does rolling codes, does the Homelink's transmitter roll as well, or does it always transmit the same code without rolling it?
Old 10-09-03, 09:45 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

I might be incorrect as I am not an expert, both receiver and transmitter roll. Both use the same code generator . The next time you press on the transmitter, it generates next code which to be stored in memory and sent to the receiver. The receiver also generates the next code that should match what it receives from the transmitter. If they match, the receiver stores the code in memory and does what the transmitter asks.

Both transmitter and receiver should always in sync. Toallow more than one transmitters controlling the same receiver, the receiver has more than one rolling codes store in its memory. Usually a receiver can be programmed to be controlled up to 4 transmitters.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-03, 10:36 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default One other thing

If your homelink was programmed once already and the original codes were not deleted re-programming won't work until you delet the original codes first. It says how to do that in the manual....I did that recently when we moved to our new house.
Old 10-09-03, 01:13 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: One other thing

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
If your homelink was programmed once already and the original codes were not deleted re-programming won't work until you delet the original codes first. It says how to do that in the manual....I did that recently when we moved to our new house.
Correction. You CAN program it without deleting the old code. done it numerous times (friends houses which are in gated communities) without deleting.
Old 10-09-03, 10:11 PM
RefinedGS
Driver

Hey guys thanks for the pointers...sounds exactly like the two methods i tried numerously. I tried deleting the code from the Homelink...(press and hold until light blinks) it does blink and delete but won't "learn" the code.

FYI my garage has the rolling feature learn button (Newer Genie Intellicode). works with my garage door opener remote, but not Homelink. UGH....sucks big tyme doe...
Old 10-10-03, 05:48 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Go to Homelink web site, use the "Programming HomeLink" menu and choose "Programming HomeLink for The First Time" and then "Programming a Garage Door Opener". Do exactly how the interactive wizards tell you and you should be able to program HomeLink without any problems. Do not go directly to "Programming A Rolling Code Garage Door Opener", you will have to go through "Programming a Garage Door Opener" first and then "Programming A Rolling Code Garage Door Opener". I made the mistake of trying to skip the first step and go directly to the second one, and HomeLink didn't get programmed properly.

Last edited by ChrisK; 10-10-03 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-10-03, 09:32 AM
Drimweaver88
Pole Position

Default Homelink

Thanks for the info Chris... it does really work....now i can control all my garage doors.!!
Old 10-10-03, 10:09 AM
RefinedGS
Driver

Thanks ChrisK, I will try that out.
Old 10-10-03, 11:41 AM
fisher_price
Rookie

Have you tried programming the other buttons?

I freely admit that it makes *no* sense, but after getting really frustrated with trying to program the middle button to my gate, I tried the Homelink button on the passenger side-- and it worked on the first attempt.

Good luck.

f_p
Old 10-10-03, 01:43 PM
RefinedGS
Driver

Originally posted by fisher_price
Have you tried programming the other buttons?

I freely admit that it makes *no* sense, but after getting really frustrated with trying to program the middle button to my gate, I tried the Homelink button on the passenger side-- and it worked on the first attempt.

Good luck.

f_p
hahhhaah that's funny. I was reading in the Homelink.pdf download for programming the remote. I guess apparently you can program Homelink to house appliances.