GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Old 09-16-14, 03:23 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool Trick: If you engage the emergency brake and then start the car the daytime running lights will not turn on
Old 09-17-14, 12:23 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Chankeye
a lot of these special features can be turned off or changed to a different setting if you have a techstream or have the dealer do it.
I have a 2000 that I hooked up to the techstream. It has an option to lock the doors when putting in drive (or maybe it was taking out of park). This is turned on but doesn't do it.
Old 09-18-14, 04:26 AM
czr73
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good intell man, thank you.

Number 5 makes NO sense to me.
Old 09-18-14, 05:20 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by czr73
Good intell man, thank you.

Number 5 makes NO sense to me.
You hand the valet the valet key and keep the master key. It is cut slightly different and won't open a locked glove box or trunk.
Old 03-28-15, 08:53 PM
cali99300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
Recently someone asked me about some "hidden" options on the GS that is not very evident to all GS owners.

I dug up an old post of mine and summarized the basic points: (other CL members and myself have contributed to this data)

1. Hold the unlock button down for more than 5 seconds and it opens up all the windows and sunroof. This can also be accomplished by putting the key in the keylock and turning the key to the right and holding it there for about 5 seconds.tooopen all windows and left to close all windows and sunroof.

2. Driver and passenger side visor can be turned toward the door window to block light from coming in. But in addition it can be extended an additional 6 inches by pulling it towards you.

3. Steering wheel can be lowered even more by holding the down button for about 6 seconds followed by by a couple more pushes which will bring the steering wheel even lower.
To move the steering wheel and extra 1/2in to 1inch in any directions....click the button 8 times in the direction you want it to move it

4. In the glove box, you can get to the Air conditioner filter and clean it out. You can remove the panel by pulling it straight out and than slide out the A/C filter. I could not believe how dirty and filthy my filter was and I was breathing all that ****** when the AC was on.

5. When giving the car to a valet, you can insert the key into the lock and lock it. But you can also lock it without the key. Just push the lock in and the trunk locks itself. To unlock it you would need to use the key.

6. When you turn the auto button on the AC automatically comes on. If you do not want the AC to come on, than turn off the AC so the green light does not appear when the auto button is on. Next, turn on the off switch to switch off the system. Then instead of hitting the auto switch to activate the hvac controls, hit the fan speed swich left or right button. This will turn on the controls without the AC going on and decreasing the power on tap.

7. You can change the defaut sensitivty of the of the carbon filter from 0 to 3(most sensitive) to turn from fresh air to recirculate. This is in the manual...while the car is running and in park, press and hold down the auto/fresh/auto button until a number pops up in the AC display. Use the AC temperature control button to move it up from 0, 1, 2 or 3.

8. Open the trunk manually with key and the trunk light will not turn on, use the trunk remote on key and the trunk light turns on.

9. To turn of your headlights at night, hit the lock button twice on the remote

10. The last is C-best settings. You can change many things around here by the computer the dealership uses. For instance, I had changed the feature that will allow me to press the unlock key on the remote only once to open all the doors not just the driver door.
See attachment for settings:

For 2001 and up owners see this website for a list of Cbest setting that fits your car:
http://members.bbnow.net/txalec/
Regarding #2: Once again, Lexus is the genius at paying attention to detail. I wondered why the visors did not have an extension for sun blockage on the left or right side. In fact, a week or two ago, when my d/s visor slid back a bit, I thought it was loose or broken. Now, if can find some details on rim offset. Anyone? I found nothing in the DIY/FAQ. Check that. It appears that Section Six - Discovering the rest of Club Lexus has a link to the Wheel & Tire Forum.

Last edited by cali99300; 03-28-15 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Section Six - Discovering the rest of Club Lexus
Old 03-28-15, 11:41 PM
cali99300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eman88
Cool Trick: If you engage the emergency brake and then start the car the daytime running lights will not turn on
Could you be a little more specific? When you say engage, do you mean set? And when you say emergency brake, do you mean parking brake? Because if you do, it does not work. Unless you mean disengage it first, then engage it and then start the car, which I tried and does not work. Thank you.
Old 03-29-15, 12:22 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably means just push it in 1 click before you start the car. That works on most vehicles i've had. There may be a DRL fuse you can pull as well
Old 03-29-15, 07:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cali99300
Could you be a little more specific? When you say engage, do you mean set? And when you say emergency brake, do you mean parking brake? Because if you do, it does not work. Unless you mean disengage it first, then engage it and then start the car, which I tried and does not work. Thank you.
When you park the car and shut it off push the parking brake pedal to the left of your brake pedal. Next time you start the car the drl's won't come on until you lift the parking brake release lever. Then they come on.

The auto-lock doors is another one I like. When I put the car in gear (R or D) doors lock. When I park they don't unlock. I now realize this is a great safety feature. I don't necessarily want my car doors to unlock just because I've parked and the car is still running.
Old 03-30-15, 08:52 PM
cali99300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MattyG
When you park the car and shut it off push the parking brake pedal to the left of your brake pedal. Next time you start the car the drl's won't come on until you lift the parking brake release lever. Then they come on.

The auto-lock doors is another one I like. When I put the car in gear (R or D) doors lock. When I park they don't unlock. I now realize this is a great safety feature. I don't necessarily want my car doors to unlock just because I've parked and the car is still running.
Thanks Matty. I had already figured that out. But, if you read eman88's #8., it does not state that the drl's light up when you put the car in drive. So the point is misleading that way. I was looking to see if the drl's could be disabled while driving just to see how you could do it. No big deal really.

However, I am interested in the auto lock feature you mention. Does it require dealer programming?
Old 03-31-15, 05:21 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cali99300
Thanks Matty. I had already figured that out. But, if you read eman88's #8., it does not state that the drl's light up when you put the car in drive. So the point is misleading that way. I was looking to see if the drl's could be disabled while driving just to see how you could do it. No big deal really.

However, I am interested in the auto lock feature you mention. Does it require dealer programming?
Here is how you disable the DRLs, I did it on my GS and it works perfectly:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post2242476

I am curious about the auto lock feature too.
Old 06-16-15, 08:19 AM
Rodhog
Driver School Candidate

Great help

Been wanting to turn up the carbon filter for ages. Brilliant.
Old 06-16-15, 10:28 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I did mine a long time ago, and what I notice if I am in traffic it tends to go into recirc, and if I am not, it goes back to normal. I was in Chicago downtown and it stayed in recirc almost all the time, it would switch back to fresh and then go right back to recirc....
Old 06-16-15, 10:34 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

I am confused what does making the sensitivity of the carbon filter to 3 do? It just makes it filter more carbon? Or does it block more outside air? I live in NYC so I guess I should have it at 3 but kind of confused what that changes from stock if someone can explain please...
Old 06-16-15, 10:36 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

it seems as though someone posted an answer right before I posted my message. So it ONLY works when the recirculation button is set to auto right? Then if you have it set to 3 it lets fresh air in only when the outside air is really clean compared to 0 right?
Old 06-16-15, 10:47 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Correct, only in Auto Recirc.

Right. Mine is set to 3 now and if I am around a lot of cars it will tend to switch more often. Diesels don't seem to trigger it, but cars with gas engines do more so.

Originally Posted by DMPesso
it seems as though someone posted an answer right before I posted my message. So it ONLY works when the recirculation button is set to auto right? Then if you have it set to 3 it lets fresh air in only when the outside air is really clean compared to 0 right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known