GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-04, 06:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Default Re: wiper position

Originally posted by lostinthew
Does my 98 have the AC filter?
Yes, and welcome to CL
Old 09-15-04, 07:29 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wiper position

Originally posted by lostinthew
I struggled with the wiper position too... until I learned that you change it from the passenger side, not the driver's side!!

Does my 98 have the AC filter?

thanks!
Yes, its behind the glove compartment. If you open the glove compartment you will see a thin plastic cover. Pop it off with your fingernail or a key and there will be another plastic piece with a handle. Pull the handle an the Air Conditioning filter will be there.

I'll see I fI can find the photos...........I just went to check BananaGS' site for a link but the site is no longer active Hopefully he turns it back on, its a great resource. Good luck.
Old 09-15-04, 08:04 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
It definitely does work. I use this feature all the time. A very simple test is this. Leave your lights on, turn off the car and then go out and hit the lock button twice and the lights go off on the second click of the lock button.
Does this work for all GSs? I have a 99 GS4 and this doesn't seem to work for me. Tell me if I'm doing doing something wrong.

- Car started
- Headlights ON, Foglights ON (headlights are NOT in the AUTO mode.....I don't even know what AUTO mode does).
- Turn OFF car
- Take keys out of ignition
- Exit car
- Close door
- Headlights and Foglights are both ON
- Click the lock button once
- Door locks and car emits a soft chirp
- Approx 1 second later, I hit the lock button again
- I hear the door locking again and hear the soft chirp again

HOWEVER, my lights are still ON.

EDIT: Drew, great thread!

Last edited by Cadd; 09-15-04 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-15-04, 08:16 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

I hit the lock button twice in a row, and it works for me. Auto mode is exactly what it sounds like... AUTO MODE!

If you leave it in auto Mode, the headlights will automatically turn on in the evening and stay off when its daytime out. It feels like its got a little guy inside with his eyes open looking out for the sun.....
Old 09-15-04, 08:17 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Cadd
Does this work for all GSs? I have a 99 GS4 and this doesn't seem to work for me. Tell me if I'm doing doing something wrong.

- Car started
- Headlights ON, Foglights ON (headlights are NOT in the AUTO mode.....I don't even know what AUTO mode does).
- Turn OFF car
- Take keys out of ignition
- Exit car
- Close door
- Headlights and Foglights are both ON
- Click the lock button once
- Door locks and car emits a soft chirp
- Approx 1 second later, I hit the lock button again
- I hear the door locking again and hear the soft chirp again

HOWEVER, my lights are still ON.

EDIT: Drew, great thread!

I use this feature all the time two

AUTO - Turns the headlights on whenever the sensor detects and absense of light. Dusk, Dawn, Tunnel, Car Wash, etc. I don't use it because I have the fogs on during the day when it's foggy.

The problem you are having is the time you wait before repressing the button. You know how you press twice to unlock all doors? Use that same speed to turn off the headlights. Just PUSH-PUSH. You should hear 2 chirps and the lights will turn off
Old 09-15-04, 09:35 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Cool "Hidden" features about the GS that are not very obvious

Originally posted by DrewGS4
7. You can change the defaut sensitivty of the of the carbon filter from 0 to 3(most sensitive) to turn from fresh air to recirculate. This is in the manual...while the car is running and in park, press and hold down the auto/fresh/auto button until a number pops up in the AC display. Use the AC temperature control button to move it up from 0, 1, 2 or 3.
So what happens if the carbon filter is at 3 (most sensitive)? I tried this on my GS, but I'm not sure what the point of it is...
Old 09-15-04, 12:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Default Re: Re: Cool "Hidden" features about the GS that are not very obvious

Originally posted by kevs
So what happens if the carbon filter is at 3 (most sensitive)? I tried this on my GS, but I'm not sure what the point of it is...
It changes to use recirculated air more quickly when it detects outside contaminants.
Old 09-15-04, 01:05 PM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

It changes to use recirculated air more quickly when it detects outside contaminants.
this is a nice feature to have when all the sudden ur behind a fast and furious wanna be that releases rotten egg fume and smoke in ur face
Old 09-15-04, 01:50 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Darius2004
AUTO - Turns the headlights on whenever the sensor detects and absense of light. Dusk, Dawn, Tunnel, Car Wash, etc. I don't use it because I have the fogs on during the day when it's foggy.

The problem you are having is the time you wait before repressing the button. You know how you press twice to unlock all doors? Use that same speed to turn off the headlights. Just PUSH-PUSH. You should hear 2 chirps and the lights will turn off
Thanks for the advice. I guess I was hitting the lock button too slow. I'll try it out tonight.

BigMo/Darius, I never knew what AUTO did, so I never used it. This also explains a lot. Is that what those two sensor (dark purple in color) on the dash is for?

Darious, can you have your Fog lights on with just the parking lights? I never tried that either. It never worked on my Honda, so I never even thought of doing that with the GS.

Question for everyone: Does anyone know what that sensor BEHIND the rearview mirror does? You can see it by looking through the front windshield of your car. I have my EZ pass there partially blocking it.
Old 09-15-04, 02:37 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the advice. I guess I was hitting the lock button too slow. I'll try it out tonight.

BigMo/Darius, I never knew what AUTO did, so I never used it. This also explains a lot. Is that what those two sensor (dark purple in color) on the dash is for?

Darious, can you have your Fog lights on with just the parking lights? I never tried that either. It never worked on my Honda, so I never even thought of doing that with the GS.

Question for everyone: Does anyone know what that sensor BEHIND the rearview mirror does? You can see it by looking through the front windshield of your car. I have my EZ pass there partially blocking it.
Hey Cadd, I think the sensor on the rear view mirror is for auto dimming the mirrors for night driving.(?) I really dont' know.

As far as the fogs, I've seen people do it but I can't get it to work. It must be a rewiring mod. (?) You are right about the dash sensors, they ARE for the Auto feature. They also dim your cabin lights and instrument panels. If you figure out how to turn on the Fogs with just the parking lights, let me know.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 09-15-04 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-15-04, 02:37 PM
leeshdw
Driver

I came across this a while back. Thought I would post it.
I had the dealer program the headlights to turn off right after driver side door opens or 0 sec delay.

Last edited by leeshdw; 09-15-04 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-15-04, 04:08 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Darius2004
As far as the fogs, I've seen people do it but I can't get it to work. It must be a rewiring mod. (?) If you figure out how to turn on the Fogs with just the parking lights, let me know.
On my Honda, most people rewired the fogs. I think it's a law that says your foglights should be on ONLY if your low beams are on. Additionally, you have to turn your foglights OFF, if you have your highbeams on.

I know for a fact when I flashed my high beams, my foglights automatically turns off.
Old 09-15-04, 09:17 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Cool "Hidden" features about the GS that are not very obvious

Originally posted by DaveGS4
So I would want to have my carbon filter on setting 3, then, right?
Old 09-16-04, 09:02 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

On my Honda, most people rewired the fogs. I think it's a law that says your foglights should be on ONLY if your low beams are on. Additionally, you have to turn your foglights OFF, if you have your highbeams on.

I know for a fact when I flashed my high beams, my foglights automatically turns off.
Really???? I'm going to have to try that!
Old 09-16-04, 02:44 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I'm glad someone bumped this thread back from the dead. It was originally posted that the 8-10clicks for extra steering wheel rake would not be saved in the memory. (when you get out and get back in you would have to do it again)

In my case this was true for about a month, but now it just goes all the way down (ie, if I click it 8-10 times, it doesnt go any further!)

Quick Reply: Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known