GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 01:23 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed it yesterday, but since it only takes 10 seconds, I do it before driving, like when changing CD's or something...

Drew - No problem. I'm thankful for every CL member that's ever answered my questions
Old 10-02-03, 04:32 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bdragon007
Well this is not really a hidden feature, but for me it's pretty useful trick when paralell parking. Since i'm the only one who drive my car, i used only one memory setting for the seat and the other i used it to adjust the side view mirrors to see the rim, so i woudn't get it mess up when i paralell park.
Dan
brilliant! I parallel park daily, this will be extremely handy. thanks for sharing this one.
Old 10-02-03, 09:22 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

no problem, glad to share...
Old 12-11-03, 03:58 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well this is not really a hidden feature, but for me it's pretty useful trick when paralell parking. Since i'm the only one who drive my car, i used only one memory setting for the seat and the other i used it to adjust the side view mirrors to see the rim, so i woudn't get it mess up when i paralell park.
Dan
Ummm...I thought the memory seating is de-activated when the car is running (safety feature).

Does that mean when you come upon a parallel parking space....you drive pass the stall....turn off your engine....hit the memory setting #2 (for mirrors only)....start the engine up again....and then park it?

If that's the case....I would hate to be in the car behind you.

OR,

Do you just hit memory setting #2 at the outset, and drive around town with side mirrors pointing down at your wheels....looking for a parallel parking stall?
Old 12-11-03, 04:28 PM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

Lightbulb

Nah, No need to shut your car off.. Re: the memory seat thing.. I do it too.. right before I'm gonna' parallel park I put the car in "P" then I hit "2" .and my outside mirrors go down to see the curb (and I made my seat lift a bit..just 4 a better view).. and then back in2 "R" and proceede to park... Try it. it's best for not curbin' your rims..
Old 12-11-03, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup, as long as the car is in P it's good
Old 12-12-03, 06:22 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

wow I remember this thread!!!!....brings back memories

And no the steering wheel setting will not be saved in memory for that extra 1/2 inch...and there is no C-Best setting for it either.
Old 12-12-03, 08:02 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Wow!

Awesome thread-but it says the c-best settings (on initial post) is for 2001 and up-is that correct? I downloaded the file and printed it and then noticed that after...
thanks
Old 12-12-03, 11:22 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Dan
My girlfriend uses driver memory setting #2, and of course, I'm #1 As to not mess her settings up, I do a slightly different method for parallel parking. I just adjust the R-side mirror down manually (don't have to put the car in park), then park my car. When I'm stopped and put my car in Park, I just push my #1 setting, and the mirror moves back to the original setting. For me at least, simpler, and doesn't mess up #2 driver settings.
Old 12-12-03, 01:50 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey SuperJOe whats up? I started this thread ages ago the day after I met you. Lots of credit goes to you for showing me these cool little things about the GS.
Last I heard you moved down to Florida....still live there or back in NJ?
Still driving the accord or did get something new?
Old 12-15-03, 11:26 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Hey SuperJOe whats up? I started this thread ages ago the day after I met you. Lots of credit goes to you for showing me these cool little things about the GS.
Last I heard you moved down to Florida....still live there or back in NJ?
Still driving the accord or did get something new?
Hey Drew!!!...thanks man...Yeah I'm still in Florida...I have an Acura Legend now 1992...I still get to see some of the boys post at www.acura-legend.com...like 1SICKLEX and MrMark....You guys should stop over there and post something sometime.

It's good to come by here every once in a while and talk with the boys!....I miss you homos!!!!
Old 12-15-03, 12:50 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default YO!

superjoe,

glad to hear you are okay.
Old 03-15-04, 08:21 AM
notkHOi
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old thread, but didnt want to create a new thread for this question. Seems like the appropriate place to ask this question.

I was reading my manual about the window wipers in rest or retracted mode (guess winter/summer).
I want them retracted and under the hood, but when I tried pushing slightly it was stiff. and didnt want to break it. I wanted to find out how hard I am suppose to push the blade? I dont want to break it. Is the wiper blade suppose to be totally hidden under the hood? Just want to make sure that my blades are actually in winter mode and that I dont break it by pushing it real hard downward.

Thanks,
Old 03-15-04, 08:32 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by notkHOi
I know this is an old thread, but didnt want to create a new thread for this question. Seems like the appropriate place to ask this question.

I was reading my manual about the window wipers in rest or retracted mode (guess winter/summer).
I want them retracted and under the hood, but when I tried pushing slightly it was stiff. and didnt want to break it. I wanted to find out how hard I am suppose to push the blade? I dont want to break it. Is the wiper blade suppose to be totally hidden under the hood? Just want to make sure that my blades are actually in winter mode and that I dont break it by pushing it real hard downward.

Thanks,
Give it a stronger push down, and it will eventually move to the "retracted" position and the hood will conceal the wiper blade from the wind. When you push it down, push it at close to the end of the strong wiper arm (i.e. don't push at the flimsy wiper blade)--if doing it by yourself, push at the driver's side wiper arm. It might be a little hard to do at first, but it will move down. Also, if you want, have someone push down on the passenger side arm as well while you push on the driver's side arm to even the pressure when moving it to the retracted position.

FYI, I move the wiper arms to the "up" position when I wash it, so I can flip the wiper blades away from the windshield.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 03-15-04 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-15-04, 06:36 AM
lostinthew
Driver

Default wiper position

I struggled with the wiper position too... until I learned that you change it from the passenger side, not the driver's side!!

Does my 98 have the AC filter?

thanks!

Quick Reply: Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known