GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New mods installed (K&N, optima, teck ground kit)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 07:03 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New mods installed (K&N, optima, teck ground kit)

As promised, I have installed a few minor engine mods.

First, I installed the K&N intake and optima yellow top. Nice quality and finish. The "box" for the cone is nicer than the SRT. I padded up the "box" with some 3M product that shields the heat and reduces the sound of the intake. Total price of intake is $280 and its CARB legal. I installed it myself about 1.5 hours.

First impression were wow!! What sweet sounding music this simple mod produces. Its a deep throaty growl only evident under WOT or over 3k RPM. You can hear this thing suck in the air. As for performance......really can not tell. If you look at bitukana early post on the K&N intake he describes this the best. At first I thought I lost a little HP on the low end but made up for it on the high end. Really hard to say. As for the optima battery, it is nice looking and gives me the extra juice I need. I needed to replace my battery so I went and got the best.
Drove around like this for about 2 weeks. The reset of the negative terminal during the install part always seems to help in the beginning....but that "effect" soon dies down after some normal driving.

Finally, I received the teck ground kit and installed this last weekend. First of all the quality of wires are top notch and look amazing. I am glad I picked the blue with red terminals...as it kind of matches the color of my car.
Again, negative terminal has to be disconnected during install. After installing the wires, which is straight forward with good directions....had to refer to some pictures that Bitukana posted earlier on his post.
I have been driving around for about 1 week now with this setup and that "effect" of disconnecting the negative terminal seems to last forever! The car just seems much faster and more responsive and this "effect" has remained in place and not died down at all. The throttle body is more responsive as the car seems a bit livelier. This mod is subtle but very noticeable. The best way I can describe this is when the L-tuned steering ECU is installed. After this installation, I noticed the effect in the steering immediately. I know some people say they can not tell the difference. But if you fall in the first category of people than this mod is for you. You can say that these people are really in "tune" with their car and can detect the most minor of changes.

One additional mod I made was too use a radiator hose that I got from AutoZone to insulate the wire running over the engine bay from heat. It really gets hot under the hood especially under 95 degree weather.....and I didn't want to take any chances. The first shots( 1&2)are without the hose, and the last shot #3 is with the radiator hose.

Last edited by DrewGS4; 07-17-03 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-17-03, 07:11 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

shot 1
Attached Thumbnails New mods installed (K&N, optima, teck ground kit)-dsc00319.jpg  

Last edited by DrewGS4; 07-17-03 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-17-03, 07:13 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

2nd shot
Attached Thumbnails New mods installed (K&N, optima, teck ground kit)-dsc00321.jpg  
Old 07-17-03, 07:15 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

3rd shot w/hose
Attached Thumbnails New mods installed (K&N, optima, teck ground kit)-dsc00326.jpg  
Old 07-17-03, 07:45 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Very Nice! I recently picked up the optima yellow and the K&N and tek grounding kit are high on my list of cheap but satisfying upgrades.
Old 07-18-03, 04:14 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I agree........Here are the prices

Optima yellow ...$150
K&N ................ $285
Teck Kit ..............$85

Total price.......... $520

SRT will cost at least this much in parts only.
Old 07-18-03, 05:41 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 203 Likes on 112 Posts

Looking good Drew!! I just got my grounding kit. Hope to install it this weekend. I got the same blue colored wires as you, but silver terminals.

You mentioned that the optima battery gives you extra juice. How much more is the output of this battery compared to OEM? I just had mine replaced, but it did not cost me anything as it was under warranty and I am curious to know what the difference is.
Old 07-18-03, 05:58 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Hameed, unless you are running heavy electrical stuff like TV's or upgraded stereo really no need to upgrade to Optima yellow. The only reason I got it is because the optima yellow top has that spiral technology and allows for deep recycling of the battery. This is ideal when you do not use the car that often and sometimes store away the car for the season without draining the car battery.

There are times, where the car will sit and never get started for days and sometimes weeks. Since this is not my everyday car...I thought that this battery would be ideal.
Old 07-18-03, 08:47 AM
apatel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good....BTW, did you get your M3 yet? I'm curious to know the handling differences between the M3 and your modded GS. Keep us posted...
Old 07-18-03, 08:59 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

i cancelled the order for the M3. The dealers wants to sell me a 2003 model at MSRP and make me wait 3 months for a custom color. Instead, I have my eyes set on the new 540 model with SMG or the new 6 series coupe. The dealers are taking orders on these and are selling them at MSRP. I put down $500 bucks to hold my spot....I am number#2 in line for first inventory coming into the dealership. I figured there is a way higher resell value on these cars ....as the M3 is going on 3 years old.
Old 02-28-04, 05:43 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

where did you pick up the teck grounding kit? is it an easy install? looks like its all above? anyone have a link to the install write up? thanx, looks good
Old 02-28-04, 09:40 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Great review!

Just finished the install of my K&N yesterday! Too early to tell about any power increase; they include a chart that shows about a 10 HP increase at around 6k rpm. If I feel I have lost any power at lower rpms, I might have to reconsider using it though. The noise increase doesn't do much for me personally-yeah it sounds cool at high revs, but down at lower rpms at large throttle openings the sound isn't all that great IMO. I'll live with it for a while and see how it goes...
Drew- how do you get a hold of these guys at Teck? I have pretty much given up on them after 3 emails and NO response! Not a good way to do business IMO! Sounds like a good product though, although I have to admit I'm still a bit skeptical of the need for grounding kits. Can't argue with success though
Here's a pic of my K&N install and my other new mod-Tom's FSTB!
Old 02-29-04, 05:07 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

looks pretty good..

i was thinkin to repaint my intake, now i'm thinkin to paint it into black it looks mad nice..
Old 02-29-04, 05:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Wow, good to see 2 more members of the K&N FIPK2 club.

Guys, my take is the sound does change a little as you put miles on it - probably the filter oil moving around and some dirt getting on it change the sound - I think mine's not quite as loud as when I first put it on.

Future - you don't like the sound!? Everyone around where I live including me love the sound! I have an L-Tuned exhaust and the combo is great.

Drew - glad you felt there was a diff. with the Teck Kit - I am convinced of it. I was able to route the cable you have coming over the engine more along side and around - tidier to me.

Back on the intake/exhaust - I put in the Apexi SAFC-II recently and then went to a dyno shop to have it tuned cuz I felt my airflow must be a fair bit different than stock, but who knows. Anyway, the shop saw my car ran rich from 4000rpm and up so they set the SAFC-II to bring down fuel 6% at 4Krpm and 10% from 4400 on up I believe. Flatting the fuel/air curve nicely, and from their readings I gained about 14rwtq although I'm always a bit skeptical on dynos. I enjoy the SAFC-II for the eye candy and gadget factor.

Anyway, congrats guys on the intakes.
Old 02-29-04, 06:46 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm glad 2 hear the teck kit makes a nice difference ...i will b ordering this soon.... thanx 4 shareing

Quick Reply: New mods installed (K&N, optima, teck ground kit)