GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Skid Plate Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 08:39 PM
mcgyver24
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is old but I was looking to finally reproduce this for myself. I also have a RMM front end. Any additional information would be a big help, also if you could answer a few questions that would be a great. What type, thickness, and dimensions are the metal and plastic pieces? I was also wondering if you had to do it all over again if there would be any improvements that you would have made. Any add information that you think would needed to reproduce this would be a huge help. Thanks
Old 10-16-06, 11:22 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgyver24
I know this thread is old but I was looking to finally reproduce this for myself. I also have a RMM front end. Any additional information would be a big help, also if you could answer a few questions that would be a great. What type, thickness, and dimensions are the metal and plastic pieces? I was also wondering if you had to do it all over again if there would be any improvements that you would have made. Any add information that you think would needed to reproduce this would be a huge help. Thanks
Well an oldie but a goodie.

Yes, a new and improved version is on the way. I had to cut a notch out in the RMM bottom to clear the old plate. The new design is done, but not implemented. Still need to see if it will be strong enough.

I will leverage of a lot simpler design that I did on my wifes IS300 when we first got it. This new design will also fit more universal and can be easily modified to fit other front ends, such as the TTE lip. I tested that already as well.

You can see the simpler version buried somewhere here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=is+story

I will probably not get to the revised version on my car for atleast another month or so. I'm a little busy with a bigger project under the hood.

If I don't post a response near the end of November, please PM me. So many projects, so little time.

Stay Tuned.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-16-06 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 01:03 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Well an oldie but a goodie.

Yes, a new and improved version is on the way. I had to cut a notch out in the RMM bottom to clear the old plate. The new design is done, but not implemented. Still need to see if it will be strong enough.

I will leverage of a lot simpler design that I did on my wifes IS300 when we first got it. This new design will also fit more universal and can be easily modified to fit other front ends, such as the TTE lip. I tested that already as well.

You can see the simpler version buried somewhere here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=is+story

I will probably not get to the revised version on my car for atleast another month or so. I'm a little busy with a bigger project under the hood.

If I don't post a response near the end of November, please PM me. So many projects, so little time.

Stay Tuned.
this is one awesome mod!
good work

i have one suggestion though
ground that rear corner a bit more rounded so in case if the wedge goes past those cement wheel stoppers in parking lots, u r able to back up and not get stuck
Old 10-17-06, 01:09 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by UberNoob
this is one awesome mod!
good work

i have one suggestion though
ground that rear corner a bit more rounded so in case if the wedge goes past those cement wheel stoppers in parking lots, u r able to back up and not get stuck
Yes good suggestion. Ideally front and rear angles should be the same. I didn't think about it on my cars because the front ends are so low that you will essentially crunch the front of the spoiler before the skid plate can take effect.

The skid plate was designed to protect you from steep driveways, speed bumps and such. To design one to protect from curbs would require something designed where it would stick out in front of the spoiler. Highly visible and probably highly ugly.
Old 11-02-06, 09:42 AM
mcgyver24
Driver

Was wndering how the updated version of this is coming along?
Old 11-02-06, 11:58 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RMM any for sale yet ??
Old 11-02-06, 04:06 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Default At SEMA.

My homie RMMGS4 is at SEMA, so it might be awhile before he can answer that, guys. I know before EOS v5, he had his bumper cover repainted. So, he might already have something set up for when he gets back.
-Will
Old 11-02-06, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
My homie RMMGS4 is at SEMA, so it might be awhile before he can answer that, guys. I know before EOS v5, he had his bumper cover repainted. So, he might already have something set up for when he gets back.
-Will
haha from what i know it's going to be a long while this project has been ongoing for very long
Old 11-03-06, 09:37 AM
SBMGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
haha from what i know it's going to be a long while this project has been ongoing for very long
HaHa....Very true Henry!

I'm here at SEMA with Glen and if you all know Glen, he always has a ton of different things going on.....welll.....he just found a couple new "projects" while here at SEMA......

I've been after him for awhile to come up with something for me as well as something "universal" for all to copy and use. Glen is awesome at this stuff, but he always has too much going on....maybe now that he's not planning meets anymore, he'll have a bit more time....hmmmmmm....
Old 11-03-06, 09:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and other projects too I might add.......
Old 11-03-06, 11:30 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up Glen !

thats pretty creative and I know very handy and Makes you feel alot better about driving this car anywhere .... I know it helps for dips in the road aswell too
Old 01-08-07, 06:13 PM
mcgyver24
Driver

I was wondering if there was an update on this project yet. If not can anybody tell me the dimensions of the steel used? It looks do be about 1/4 thick rectangular tube (2 1/2 by 1 1/4) . I am in the process of reproducing this skid plate for myself. Any help in this matter would be a big help, Thanks.
Old 01-08-07, 06:18 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by mcgyver24
I was wondering if there was an update on this project yet. If not can anybody tell me the dimensions of the steel used? It looks do be about 1/4 thick rectangular tube (2 1/2 by 1 1/4) . I am in the process of reproducing this skid plate for myself. Any help in this matter would be a big help, Thanks.
Sorry, I think I forgot to respond to your PM a while back.

Short story, mom's in the hospital on Xmas day. Long recovery and re-hab.

Family First.

PM me again with your e-mail and I'll try to send you a pdf of the template.
Old 02-20-07, 08:16 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Sorry, I think I forgot to respond to your PM a while back.

Short story, mom's in the hospital on Xmas day. Long recovery and re-hab.

Family First.

PM me again with your e-mail and I'll try to send you a pdf of the template.
any updates ?? sent you a pm
Old 02-21-07, 11:10 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
any updates ?? sent you a pm
PM responded.

I believe mcgyver24 was able to complete his set up , based on some of my suggestions.

It sure would be nice to see some pics.

It will be atleast a couple of months before I can clear out my family priorities and get back into modding and back on the forums on a regular basis. Hopefully a new set up from me by the beginning of summer.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-21-07 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Skid Plate Project