GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY on breaking yellow lense on gs fog lights?

Old 06-08-03, 09:31 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY on breaking yellow lense on gs fog lights?

anybody has DIY that I can follow to turn my yellow fog light to clear? I did a search but could not find good directions. The posts might be too old. thanks for any help.
Old 06-08-03, 11:42 PM
318daily
Driver School Candidate

Don't dude! I'll trade you.

I'll have them shipped tomorrow.

neil@bartolome.net

lates.
Old 06-09-03, 02:40 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude.....you should swap it w/ someone who wants them...or sell them.... I saw someone on ebay asking $245 a pair for them yellow fogs.
Old 06-09-03, 04:06 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BananaGS has a great DIY site and CL has this stuff at one time too, but i don't see it anymore.

but yeah, you should just trade them unless you want to go through the process and DIY
Old 06-09-03, 06:48 AM
lasermd
Driver School Candidate

Question I've always had a question about this. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of HID's?

The yellow fog lamps are only available, stock, with the HID models. However, doesn't that rather defeat the purpose of the ultra-white light being cast by the xenon bulbs?? It seems to me that the blending of the yellow fogs with the xenon's would give you a down-graded "yellowish" view of the road ahead.

I thought the whole purpose of HID's was to give you that crisp, super clean view ahead. The yellow fogs look kind of cool when aproaching you from ahead, but from a drivers perspective, I'm not so sure that it doesn't reverse...or at least contradict the original thought on paper.

My GS400 doesn't have the HID's, so I'm not speaking from experience. I replaced the original fog lamps with PIAA Xtreme Whites, which match the low and high beam replacments that I made. I've toyed with the idea of swapping with the yellow fogs, but the reasons outlined above prevented me from doing it.

Any thoughts on this...or is it just me??

All the best,

Drew
Attached Thumbnails DIY on breaking yellow lense on gs fog lights?-drewsgs400-25.jpg  
Old 06-09-03, 08:11 AM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Default Re: I've always had a question about this. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of HID's?

Originally posted by lasermd
The yellow fog lamps are only available, stock, with the HID models. However, doesn't that rather defeat the purpose of the ultra-white light being cast by the xenon bulbs?? It seems to me that the blending of the yellow fogs with the xenon's would give you a down-graded "yellowish" view of the road ahead.

I thought the whole purpose of HID's was to give you that crisp, super clean view ahead. The yellow fogs look kind of cool when aproaching you from ahead, but from a drivers perspective, I'm not so sure that it doesn't reverse...or at least contradict the original thought on paper.

My GS400 doesn't have the HID's, so I'm not speaking from experience. I replaced the original fog lamps with PIAA Xtreme Whites, which match the low and high beam replacments that I made. I've toyed with the idea of swapping with the yellow fogs, but the reasons outlined above prevented me from doing it.

Any thoughts on this...or is it just me??

All the best,

Drew
The yellow fogs do not blend with the HID's output at all. The fogs are aimed to the ground right in front of the car. The HID headlights are aimed much further in front of the car.
Old 06-09-03, 09:38 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Futuregsoris summed it up very well!
Old 06-09-03, 09:56 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

I just want clear looks not yellow. Its cool in a way since it is different but its also not my cup of tea you know. So what should I do? should I clear by breaking the yellow lense or trade or sell mine and buy clear from someone? help.
mine is new so I want new clear if I can get one or near new ones.
Old 06-09-03, 10:34 AM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by kapdori
I just want clear looks not yellow. Its cool in a way since it is different but its also not my cup of tea you know. So what should I do? should I clear by breaking the yellow lense or trade or sell mine and buy clear from someone? help.
mine is new so I want new clear if I can get one or near new ones.
It is not very different as most gs's have clear fogs from the factory which means they have no HID. It's up to you on what you want, but you can break the yellow lense very easily however I am sure many members will trade you for their clear lenses or even give you extra cash for them.
Old 06-09-03, 08:18 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Post just buy a set of clears from ebay.

and sell your yellows on ebay or here in the classified. you will have no problem selling them. but i must say, the yellow foglights are a lexus trade mark, i think they look real clean, Clear lenses are cool for the corner bumper lights i think, but the yellow fogs? there not orange, you cant see em in the daytime, and you dont even need to turn them on at all. the are more exclusive. i see what your saying about your taste and the thought did cross my mind to get the clear fogs, but i decised against it!
Old 06-09-03, 09:27 PM
IcePlatinum
Rookie

I did mine, and it was very easy to do also. Just remove the fog lights from the car then get a screwdriver and crack the yellow lens inside the housing. Make sure that you get all of the glass out, I even used a vaccum to suck it out. I used a super white 9006 bulb.
Attached Thumbnails DIY on breaking yellow lense on gs fog lights?-light1.jpg  
Old 06-09-03, 09:28 PM
IcePlatinum
Rookie

pic2
Attached Thumbnails DIY on breaking yellow lense on gs fog lights?-light2.jpg  
Old 06-09-03, 09:29 PM
zmatrix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like my yellow fogs since they stand out more. Is there a way get the fogs a bit brighter?
Old 06-10-03, 03:46 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by zmatrix
I actually like my yellow fogs since they stand out more. Is there a way get the fogs a bit brighter?
If you want them bright....put HID in your fogs!! Ask Hameed....he just installed 6000K in his clear fogs. Or Rominl....he also installed 6000K HID in his yellow fogs.

Pete