GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sanity check: Trade '01 GS430 for '03.5 G35 sedan 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 09:25 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OZ has the Opera II for $299 at their website. As of two weeks ago, they were in stock. I think they are 18X8.5 or 9 but I can't remember for sure.

Just in case anyone was wondering.
Old 04-30-03, 12:25 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, i came a bit too late to the discussion. but ill throw my 2cents in any way. i think that you prolly made a good decision to stay with the GS, all things considered. i really like the G sedan, the few times that i have driven it as a loaner. but, as with my car, the interior just isnt up to snuff. its all about driver's needs and wants. the G (coupe and sedan) are definitely more driver oriented. even with the mods that i had on my GS, the car never really felt connected. maybe its the weight or maybe its the tranny or all of the above. everyone is talking about V8 power, but i hate to break it to them, but these cars dyno within 5 to 10 hp of each other. sure the V8 has it down low, but with the subtraction of the weight on the G, its a wash. so yes, the G35 is as faster or faster than a GS4xx i looked for another GS, but in the end i just couldnt justify spending money on a used car when i could get a new car with 5 miles for the same money. and yes, i know i am taking the depreciation hit. thats life, i guess. cars are never meant to be investments anyway. at least in my tax bracket.
oh and btw ......

Originally posted by dnguyens_GS430
A friend of mine bought a new G35 coupe a few months a go and we traded care for a week. He told me that he got more head turns with the Gs430 then the G35.
your friend lied. either that or he wanted to pump your head up. i get wwwwaaaaaayyyyy more attention than i ever thought about getting in my coupe as opposed to the GS. just the facts.....

Doc
Old 04-30-03, 12:31 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by DrRick

your friend lied. either that or he wanted to pump your head up. i get wwwwaaaaaayyyyy more attention than i ever thought about getting in my coupe as opposed to the GS. just the facts.....

Doc
I have to agree with DrRick here, that guy definitely lied. Comparing a georgeous coupe to a very good looking sedan? Ofcourse the G35 coupe looks better. This is an apples to oranges comparison - not a fair comparison. The G35 coupe has got to be one of the best looking cars on the road today - hands down!
Old 04-30-03, 12:43 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Hameed
I have to agree with DrRick here, that guy definitely lied. Comparing a georgeous coupe to a very good looking sedan? Ofcourse the G35 coupe looks better. This is an apples to oranges comparison - not a fair comparison. The G35 coupe has got to be one of the best looking cars on the road today - hands down!
yeah, dont get me wrong, cause im not trying to bash and i still get sentimental everytime i see a GS, but this car has "presence" (to quote TXSTYLE). some of that may be attributed to its newness. some may be attributed to the fact that it is a nice looking car. i dont know if it will still have the classicness that the GS does 5 or 6 years down the road. but unless they come out with some boost in the near future, i wont have to worry about it. cause i wont have it by then

Doc
Old 04-30-03, 02:00 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Lightbulb

damn, i came a bit too late to the discussion. but ill throw my 2cents in any way.
I'm glad you chimed in. I was actually expecting a response from you earlier given that you've made this jump (or at least something very like it) recently. Sounds like your recommendation is pretty much consistent with my decision.

And I'm generally content with my decision. I was never happy with the thought of leaving my GS behind. I guess I'll just negotiate some time with my wife's Z3 more often than I have in the past to help satisfy my "true sports car" needs. Maybe I'll even look into putting a Shark Injector or Dinan chip on that car to add to its pep...
Old 04-30-03, 04:33 PM
LexFather

The G35c gets gets hella looks, I doubt the sedan gets anything. Part of it too is not only is it a great looking car, but it's new and no one knows what the heck it is. Plus Doc has the 18s and brembos...drool.....
Old 04-30-03, 05:29 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SCWells72
I'm glad you chimed in. I was actually expecting a response from you earlier given that you've made this jump (or at least something very like it) recently. Sounds like your recommendation is pretty much consistent with my decision.

And I'm generally content with my decision. I was never happy with the thought of leaving my GS behind. I guess I'll just negotiate some time with my wife's Z3 more often than I have in the past to help satisfy my "true sports car" needs. Maybe I'll even look into putting a Shark Injector or Dinan chip on that car to add to its pep...
we have to get together sometime since your here in austin. how bout i round up the folks for an austin CL meet. could i borrow your car for the day? seriously though, i think that you made the right choice for now. now had you been going to the coupe, this may have been a different opinion.......

Doc
Old 04-30-03, 07:40 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

we have to get together sometime since your here in austin. how bout i round up the folks for an austin CL meet. could i borrow your car for the day? seriously though, i think that you made the right choice for now. now had you been going to the coupe, this may have been a different opinion.......

Doc
It's funny...the coupe started all this hoopla. I was actually thinking of following your lead and trading for a G35 coupe 6MT, but unfortunately they never had one with a manual tranny I could drive. That's why I finally took the manual sedan out for a drive and it got me thinking...

Anyway, I'd love to hook up sometime. I haven't even had a ride in the manual coupe yet, and I'd be happy to let you reminisce days of old in my GS. Let me get my 18" wheels in next week and we'll talk about a time. And if you decide to coordinate a Central TX/Austin meet, let me know!
Old 04-30-03, 08:24 PM
jefe
Rookie

Originally posted by SCWells72

Anyway, I'd love to hook up sometime. I haven't even had a ride in the manual coupe yet, and I'd be happy to let you reminisce days of old in my GS.

And if you decide to coordinate a Central TX/Austin meet, let me know!
ill help
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...0gs400-med.jpg

ive only seen 1 other green GS4 around.
Old 04-30-03, 08:57 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by jefe
ive only seen 1 other green GS4 around.
There are at least a few drifting around town. Mine, UTGS400, JacobT, another guy...can't remember his name...met up with him one afternoon so he could try out the L-Tuned suspension on my car before upgrading, and I've even heard there's a guy in town with nitrous on his GS4. I saw a heavily modded GS3 at the airport in secondary parking one afternoon. Not sure if that person is on here, though. We could also invite up San Antonio. I'm sure there are a few guys down there.
Old 04-30-03, 10:10 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

damn, a green one. now i really am getting all misty and sentimental. anytime you guys wanna get together let me know. a nice spirited drive in the hill country and some chow would be cool. im always game. and sc, i would love to go down memory lane in your GS. and you are more than welcome to flog mine.

Long Live the Grinch!!!!!!!!!

Doc
Old 05-06-03, 07:59 AM
Raychik430
Driver School Candidate

Default GS430 vs G35

I actually had a similar choice a loaded G35 or a loaded GS430 and after test driving both I went with the GS and must say do not regret it one bit. Here is my view of things....

Performance:
About the same except with a MUCH louder noise in the G35, I guess some people like it, just not me. The almost silent growl of a V8 in the Lexus is perfect for me.

Exterior:
Must admit Lexus is beginning to look a bit dated, but still great styling and of course a much richer luxurious look than the G35. G35 does look sleeker and newer though.

Interior:
Cannot even compare this. GS with the wood and leather simply blows away metal and plastic crap interior in the G35. Must say this and the engine noise is what turned me off to the G35. Cute upsliding Navi system, but the rest looks like cheap crap.

Features:
GS again with a great Navi and ML audio simply cannot be beat.

Overall:
These two cars simply cannot be compared as they are in different classes. A 19 year old might like the G35 better while a 25 year old the GS. So...actually I think after closed inspection the 19 year old will take the GS too!

GS430 simply is a much better car with (maybe) slight exterior styling advantage going to the G35, but keep in mind that GS has been out since 1998 and G35 just came out. If they both were same it simply would be NO CONTEST.