GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

perforated leather good or bad?

Old 04-24-03, 03:41 PM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perforated leather good or bad?

Hi all:

On the new 430's I think perforated leather is standard and this seems to be the trend for the leather on all upmarket cars (MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc.). Just saw an E500 and S500 with these thinner perforated hides covering the seats.

I personally think these newer seats are *less* comfortable than the thicker more "sumptuous" leather on the older GS's.

I'm curious, is the perforated leather more expensive or less expensive to manufacture than the older non-perforated leather because I'm not convinced these seats are indeed superior to the older seats.

Also, I think the older seats just look "richer". Interested to hear what you all think of this direction in leather seating covers.

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Old 04-24-03, 05:15 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

They are the same seats with the same comfort - just that they breath a little better. I'm not so sure about the looks however.

Doug
Old 04-24-03, 07:07 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Looks-wise I don't care for perforated leather at all. When Acura went to that look I thought they were taking a major step backwards, but now I realize (as you pointed out) that the luxury carmakers are going in that direction. I haven't noticed a difference in comfort or durability, but especially seating surfaces just look funny to me with all those little holes punched in them.
Old 04-24-03, 07:19 PM
LEXman13
Rookie

I thinks its of question of temperature...The perferated leather cools down faster and will stay warmer.
I know on the LS theres a dial to make the seats cool or warm up.

I live in SD area and when its sunny out even on mild day with blacks seats and black outside its like sitting on coals!

Another thing I with Lexus had was seat warmers on the back support of the seat.

I was in a buddy's BENZ on a cold night and I turned it on and it felt SOO good on my back.

Anywayz.......
Old 04-24-03, 09:16 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

If you spill something on the perforated leather I bet it is going to get on the Foam of the seat. If you had a leaking bag of food like lobster that would be really bad because the juices would get through the perforated leather and you would never get the smell out!
Old 04-24-03, 11:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i like them a lot better than normal leather actually, just feel better imho
Old 04-24-03, 11:16 PM
JeromeBaker
Rookie

Yes. The perforated leather is for two reasons

1) Looks

2)To keep moisture/sweat away from you.

And if you have a Mercedes, they actually have active holes in the leather. The seat has a device that actively removes perspiration from the seat using the holes. There is more information on the feature an www.mbusa.com

So unless you have a MB or another car with active moisture diversion, then it isn't much of a difference, or shouldn't be at least.
Old 04-25-03, 05:06 AM
Spartan
Driver

Default Looks and function...

Perforated leather is actually a lot more expensive than the regular non-perf.
Most manufacturures do it for looks. They feel that it gives the seats a sportier look.
The second reason they do it is for temperature control.
For heating, the heat sensation time on the cushion is quicker.
For seats with a cooling option, you must have perforated leather to allow for the air to get through cool your body down, just like an air conditioning vent.
Perforated leather has the same durability as the non-perf leather.
The only thing I have noticed when testing is that the perforated leather wrinkler more easily becuase it can stretch more due the holes in the leather.
Personally I like the looks of perfo over non-perf. In my 2000 GS400 Platinum edition there is perforated leather and I have not noticed too much difference from other non-perf Lexus vehicles.
Thanks
MIKE
Old 04-25-03, 08:59 AM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Default great input

Hey guys:

Great input, thanks!

Where I was coming from was that often carmakers give us so called "upgrades" but actually they're calculated moves (read: downgrades) to save them money.

Perfect eg of this was with the Maxima. I still have my old 3rd gen 92 Max SE (catback magnaflow dual 3", Motegi black 17" rims, eibach, chip replacement etc etc.) which I use as a winter car now (but back in the day - mid-90's - it was the bomb! ;-). I remember when they brought the 4th gen out they were saying it was better in so many ways but in reality they had skimped on every area (suspension, steering, axle components, interior materials, etc etc.) but the sticker stayed the same!

It felt so much chintzier in every way with even more body roll than before, and it had bad body roll to begin with without upgraded eibach components. It was this that got me upset at Nissan and I moved off of their products (incl the Infiniti line although the new G35 might be okay, the M45 is just plain ugly ;-). Actually to me the G35 looks like they totally knocked off the GS, sorry G35 owners.

So I suspect them when they change a higher ticket item like leather, what is the motive behind it?

I think you're all right that the holes are for better "aeration" and to alleviate the time to heat/cool issue. Also, the flat perforated surface does have a more "recaro-esque" look to it, sportier, more old Porsche feel.

Like anything, it is a matter of taste eh?

Talk to you later.

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Old 04-25-03, 10:22 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Speaking of knock off, is it just me or does the back quarter view of the new Maxima look just like the GS or what?
Old 04-25-03, 10:10 PM
marcianof
Rookie

My opinion is that the preforated leather is sportier, softer and more high end.
Old 04-27-03, 11:28 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think the move was to go for benz ideas and expand on it
mb's have ventilated seats
the lexus should have a/c seats at least on the ls 430
not sure on the gs