GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

car was broken into, nothing stolen

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 12:21 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default car was broken into, nothing stolen

About an hour ago, someone had the nerve to get into my car, just to throw water all over the inside. I do blame myself since my back door lock actuator is broken and i have not had time to fix it.. The water shorted out my navi, the touch screen doesnt respond to touch anymore. And the lower stereo piece is flickering. What are my options for repair? Or do i have to replace?
Old 05-17-15, 06:42 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I personally would not touch the screen of several days to see what happens and keep it off. If that not fix the problem, you have to replace it. :-(
Old 05-17-15, 09:53 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would pull the nav unit from the car, disassemble and clean up as much of that water damage as possible. Throw the components in some rice to help the dry out. After that see if the whole unit is destroyed or just the displays.

If it's just the display then maybe you'll have some luck finding replacements parts. I replaced the non-navi radio display in my gs300 from a part I ordered from Pioneer. It was $130 for the display. Your touch screen might be more difficult to find but theres hope.

I don't know who makes the nav units but if it's Pioneer the model number will be on a sticker stuck to the bottom of the unit. Mine looks like this:

Then you can search the Pioneer replacement parts website to see what you can get.

A word of caution is some soldering was required for me to fix my display. I'm not sure if this is the same case for every part from Pioneer. The replacement display came without the connector at the bottom. Had to remove it from the old display and solder to the new one.

Last edited by justim; 05-17-15 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 11:34 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

If it was clean water, then do not apply voltage to it and let things dry.

If on the other hand it was water + sugar + color then you have to take it apart and use water to rinse and then air dry.

Water is, as long it is clean is not bad and obviously you dont want the electronics to be On when the stuff is wet as regular water conducts.

Salim
Old 05-18-15, 01:26 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

F'ing idiots. Atleast you didn't get your window smashed in.

Hope you get that thing fixed.
Old 05-18-15, 11:21 AM
Iparkcars
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't make some female mad did you? Honestly I would wait see what happens after it dries out like everyone has stated if by Thursday Friday it has not started working I would start look for a possible replacement
Old 05-18-15, 08:57 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone!! I did what everyone suggested and everything is back to normal! I left my car outside yesterday and let the AZ heat beat down on my interior and everything works again! What a relief i must say..
I can listen to music and use my heater\AC once again.

I came to the conclusion that someone attempted to steal the sound system out of my trunk. When they failed, i am guessing they were upset and took water, and threw it all over the place. I assume this was the scenario since my gas tank latch was open. my trunk was locked with the key lock button. Witch makes be believe they attemped to open the trunk and they couldnt find right switch to open the trunk.. Not knowing that it couldnt be opened without the key. Thank god for lexus security.
Old 05-18-15, 10:02 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats good news. I guess it's time for you to get going on that door lock actuator DIY
Old 05-19-15, 03:39 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ +1 also thanks for the info on where you got your replacements parts!
Old 05-19-15, 12:03 PM
D3V3LOP3R
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in AZ are you man? This is lame, sorry to hear about it.
Old 05-19-15, 01:19 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

I live out in east mesa, not the nicest part so it was bound to happen. Usually i make sure the back right door lock actually locks but i guess i had one of those lazy days.
Old 05-19-15, 04:28 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Great news. Good to know
Old 05-19-15, 05:33 PM
takashi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear about your car man,

I also had my car broken into since just like you, my right rear door lock actuator wasn't working,
and they stole my aftermarket navi, they some reason decided to hack my main console harness
costing me close to 5 bills to repair, and they also jammed up my rear trunk lock cylinder I guess they
also couldn't figure how to open from the inside lol

stupid crack heads in my neighborhood stealing outdated Avic D3, I would've just given the stupid thing

so with that being said, good thing it was just water
Old 05-19-15, 07:59 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Lol yeah the trunk lock is great. I always check my trunk to make sure everything is still there lol. I just got myself 2 fosgate t1s and a alpine mrp2000 and if i didnt have the trunk lock im sure that would be gone... Thats one other reason I like my stock navi.. Its hard to pull them out
Old 05-22-15, 01:00 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
I live out in east mesa, not the nicest part so it was bound to happen. Usually i make sure the back right door lock actually locks but i guess i had one of those lazy days.
Then why don't you just turn in the child lock until you get it fixed then!?! Open inside but won't open from outside. Simple....

Quick Reply: car was broken into, nothing stolen