GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Non modified body/stock suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 07:11 PM
780gs400
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel fitment/tire size questions,urgent plz help

Searched high and low and still haven't got an answer,picked up a 1998 gs400,still on stock suspension and no fender modification,picked up a set of 20s, specs are 20x10 +25 front,20x11 +25 rear,I don't plan on dropping the car this year,what's the ideal tire size for my wheels from your guys' experience? I don't mind a relatively mild stretch,I was thinking 245/35/20 up front and 265/35/20 out back,should these work for me? Also could you guys recommend a decently good tire as well? I daily the car and my wheels are worth upwards of 4k$ so I don't want to be damaging them with too much of a stretched tire,any help would be much appreciated as I've been trying to get these on my car for a few months but haven't got the answers I need,thank you so much in advance you guys!!!!

Last edited by 780gs400; 04-30-15 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 04-26-15, 05:27 AM
Bullitt180
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those tire sizes are ok, however, they are out of spec so the overall diameter is bigger by about 6-8% depending on stock tire size. This is going to throw off your speedometer and odometer by that percentage. The only way to get closer to spec is to stretch more. Also, the outside lip of the wheel is going to be about 2 inches closer to the fender than stock in the front and about 2-1/2 inches in the rear. Your also going to raise the car about 1 inch more than stock with those wheels/tires. Since you don't plan on lowering it right now, it's going to look funny with poking wheels and raised, but that's all personal preference.
Old 04-26-15, 07:24 AM
780gs400
Driver

Thank you for the info! Very appreciated,that being said,what tire sizing would you recommend for my wheel specs? Lowering springs are relatively cheap and easy to attain so lowering it wouldn't be too much an issue basically what I'm trying to do is avoid modifying my fenders just yet but I want to upgrade my rolling stock from the 17's as the previous owner powdercoated my stockies gunmetal and it looks like trash on my white gs.
Old 04-29-15, 01:16 PM
780gs400
Driver

Bump,really need some insight here guys,gonna have my fenders shaved/rolled for 250 in late May and I want to have tires ordered by then,someone please give me some insight!!!! Purchasing Cusco coilovers as well so game plan has changed!!! Am I going to be okay with these wheels considering the offset and being that I'm Getting the fenders rolled/shaved?

Last edited by 780gs400; 04-29-15 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 08:06 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

depends on how low you want to go

but i think if you stretch some tires you might just clear

i got +22 9.5 wide in the front and i run camber
Old 04-29-15, 09:08 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

There are a few threads that you need to post in if you want these answers, also, your thread title is horrible if you're looking for fitment questions, not everyone opens every new thread. It needed to be titled wheel fitment or tire question. Wheel/tire gurus arent gonna look in a thread titled "non-modified body stock suspension" personally, I looked out of mere curiosity

Try posting in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-a-thread.html

or this forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...akes-forum-76/

Also, any good tire/wheel shop should be able to give you the best insight.
Old 04-30-15, 05:45 AM
780gs400
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
There are a few threads that you need to post in if you want these answers, also, your thread title is horrible if you're looking for fitment questions, not everyone opens every new thread. It needed to be titled wheel fitment or tire question. Wheel/tire gurus arent gonna look in a thread titled "non-modified body stock suspension" personally, I looked out of mere curiosity

Try posting in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-a-thread.html

or this forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...akes-forum-76/

Also, any good tire/wheel shop should be able to give you the best insight.
I've posted in the fitment thread with no help whatsoever and I've called about 7 tire shops around town without a solid answer so I'm using this forum as an outlet(what a forum is for) to get advice from people who have maybe lowered their gs on 20's before. Feel free to pass judgement on my thread name but you're giving me no constructive answers so why bother posting? I'll probably be scolded for saying these things to you as I know you're popular on this forum but I've tried those threads already with no luck so I decided to front page it for answers as I'm in a rush for help,thank you for your criticism but I don't need that,I need genuine help from somebody who knows what they're talking about. And in a hurry,I've already stated that I've searched high and low if you even bothered reading my post.
Old 04-30-15, 05:51 AM
780gs400
Driver

Originally Posted by marshun
depends on how low you want to go

but i think if you stretch some tires you might just clear

i got +22 9.5 wide in the front and i run camber
what's the skinniest tire I can get on an 11" rim and a 10" rim? If you have these answers let me know,as I'd rather play it safe and run a bunch of stretch to make sure I'll fit once lowered,this is really the only question I'm looking for an answer to,that and sidewall size recommendation,I've got a friend in the "drifting world" who can get me awesome prices on tires
Old 04-30-15, 01:48 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 780gs400
I've posted in the fitment thread with no help whatsoever and I've called about 7 tire shops around town without a solid answer so I'm using this forum as an outlet(what a forum is for) to get advice from people who have maybe lowered their gs on 20's before. Feel free to pass judgement on my thread name but you're giving me no constructive answers so why bother posting? I'll probably be scolded for saying these things to you as I know you're popular on this forum but I've tried those threads already with no luck so I decided to front page it for answers as I'm in a rush for help,thank you for your criticism but I don't need that,I need genuine help from somebody who knows what they're talking about. And in a hurry,I've already stated that I've searched high and low if you even bothered reading my post.
I merely pointed out why you've gotten no good replies and had to bump. I even went through the trouble of taking my time to find threads and other forums for you to post in to help. My criticism is constructive cause you can have a moderator change the name of the thread to something that will appeal to the right people with the answers. Club Lexus has some members who are masters when it comes to fitment, the correct title would bring them in. I'm sorry you didnt get a reply in the thread I posted (yes I should have checked if you had before pointing it out) however, you havent posted in Club Lexus's main wheel/tire forum powered by TireRack, you might wanna try there as well as bumping the fitment thread.

Heres another site for you to check out. If you use a little math, you can find a similar set up as yours on here and get the right tires you need.

http://www.rimtuck.com/search/thumbn...to=2005&sort=1

what's the skinniest tire I can get on an 11" rim and a 10" rim? If you have these answers let me know,as I'd rather play it safe and run a bunch of stretch to make sure I'll fit once lowered,this is really the only question I'm looking for an answer to,that and sidewall size recommendation,I've got a friend in the "drifting world" who can get me awesome prices on tires
You can stretch a pretty small tire on it, but its not gonna look very attractive, heres a pic of a 195 (7") on a 11:

and a 175 (~6.5) on a 10:

I suggest taking your time and find exactly what you would need/want. Have you mounted the wheels to see how much clearance is needed? Thats another way of maybe figuring it out on your own as you await some good info on here.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 04-30-15 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Cause I can
Old 04-30-15, 02:22 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

tyrestretch.com also
Old 04-30-15, 02:34 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nelson09
tyrestretch.com also
Nice, I'm gonna have to add this to my bookmarks
Old 04-30-15, 03:48 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I'd rather play it safe and run a bunch of stretch...
...said no one, ever.

Honestly - stock suspension, stock fenders with aggressive offset 20's is going to look way worse than your gunmetal 17's. With a bunch of stretch on cheap lowering springs, the car is going to ride like pure garbage.

I had 19's with legit tires (no stretch) on my lowered car (Tanabe DF's) with a good alignment and it rode pretty harsh. That's with the Sport Design suspension.

Just wait until you can do it the right way. Lower the car first...then fit the wheels. Doing it the other way around is what forces people to compromise and make really bad decisions.
Old 04-30-15, 06:16 PM
780gs400
Driver

Thank you for the help me.jokster. Other guy,as I said I have cusco coilovers coming as we speak,car will be on adjustable suspension and have rolled/shaved fenders,you weren't fitted on 20s you were fitted on 19s so why are you bothering posting? Obviously your setup is nothing like what I'm looking for so why respond? I'm going to check out that tyrestretch.com and go from there,again thank you for the help mr.jokster and the photos help too,those tires look ridiculous stretched that much,I'll probably end up with 225's up front and 235 out back from the looks of it,appreciate the help guys
Old 04-30-15, 06:19 PM
780gs400
Driver

Also as for test fittin my wheels I just had the giant tires that were fitted to them removed yesterday but as I just got released from the hospital from surgery and I'm still in recovery mode I haven't been able to jack the car up and test fit the wheels quite yet,but hopefully there won't be too much fender modification needed,as I stated before I can get all my fenders rolled and rust proofed for roughly 250$ locally so even if these offsets don't work I may just order barrels for the wheels as I'm pretty set on the design of these wheels,thanks again
Old 04-30-15, 08:33 PM
780gs400
Driver

Alright guys maybe this will further help you help me figure out a good tire size,I test fit the wheels on the car tonight but I wasn't able to lower the car down on the wheels as my factory lug nuts didn't reach the lugs on the car,but I did get done photos for a rough idea and by the looks of it these really don't poke all that much? Thinking about just letting my coilovers sit for the year when they arrive and sticking with stock suspension for now , can you guys throw me a rough idea for a good tire size? I'd still like some stretch,here are some photos

REARS-

FRONTS-

Here's a shot of clearance,way more room than stock but that's understandable because of the offset of the stocks

Quick Reply: Non modified body/stock suspension