GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

weird lawnmower jet engine sound when letting off gas!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 02:20 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

I swapped it with one that was used off a wrecked car so there is no guarantee that it was working and I'm pretty sure it was bad because he is refunding me and I am getting one from someone on here that supposedly has only 45k on it from an 03 so that bearing should be good still. Even though the car does make the noise still it is less and the car drives better which leads me to believe the bearing I had was worse then this one even though this one is still bad. I do notice the car coasting slightly longer which I know a bad bearing can make the car not coast as good
Old 04-15-15, 02:40 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To load up the bearing you just turn right or left while driving, i.e. switching lanes or making a turn, so the weight of the car is now on either the driver or passenger side.

For example, you turn right and the bearing noise gets louder, the driver side bearing is the one being loaded up. And if the noise is louder going left, then it's the passenger side bearing because it is now the one being loaded.

Make sure to do this safely and not around others.

Also, your mechanic is lazy. When he said that replacing the whole hub/spindle as one unit is easier. What he meant was, it's easier for him because he doesn't want to press out the old bearing and press in the new one. Just saying.
Old 04-15-15, 04:44 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xHyaku
To load up the bearing you just turn right or left while driving, i.e. switching lanes or making a turn, so the weight of the car is now on either the driver or passenger side.

For example, you turn right and the bearing noise gets louder, the driver side bearing is the one being loaded up. And if the noise is louder going left, then it's the passenger side bearing because it is now the one being loaded.

Make sure to do this safely and not around others.

Also, your mechanic is lazy. When he said that replacing the whole hub/spindle as one unit is easier. What he meant was, it's easier for him because he doesn't want to press out the old bearing and press in the new one. Just saying.
He is slightly lazy however the reason he told me to get the whole thing used is because I had to go to another shop and get the bearing pressed out because he does not have a press and that costs about $200. Unless he is lying about the price? How much should it cost? Now you got me thinking i would've been better off just buying the bearing only brand new
Old 04-15-15, 07:35 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I tried turning and switching lanes it didn't change where the noise was from its really hard to tell now it sounds like the rear, is it possible for the same noise to come from the rear?

Last edited by DMPesso; 04-16-15 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 05:53 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

ok so I went to a highly recommended shop not in my neighborhood but well worth the 30 minute drive to Jamaica Queens because apparantely these mechanics by me are so lazy that I believed them when they said you could not physically check which wheel bearing is bad and you can only listen while driving which is why they had me replacing the front passenger side thinking that was the issue. When I got there and the guy took the car for a drive he said it sounds like the rear so we put it on a lift and he was able to amplify the sound with like a screwdriver or something to confirm. We then replaced the driver rear bearing and the car feels like new again. So to anyone who may have a bad bearing, get it physically checked because it can sound like its coming from somewhere completely different then where it is.