GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going to install a whole new sound system 98 Nak

Old 05-26-15, 02:37 PM
magic5g
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice progress Foob

Slightly off topic: I rerouted my cables through the center dash/carpet and it was a huge PITA to route the cables under the carpet. I used a thin stick but still had only like 1 inch of room to work with.
Old 05-26-15, 05:33 PM
Foob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! Yea that carpet it a serious pita... Even with the seats removed that center console would still hold it down for me. Hope you see an improvement in sound quality!
got the console closed up with the headunit wired and mounted back. Need to go get more wires, from the store tomorrow turns out I need more for the tweeters to the amp. Quick question, how many feet of speaker wires did u gets run through your cars? I'm at 70 feet right now and still need more.

Last edited by Foob; 05-27-15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 04:25 PM
Foob
Driver

Hey guys, quick question do I need to run a rca to the headunit for the sub, or could I just have the sub hooked up the the amp using speaker wires, and just manually adjust the sub using just the amp? Kinda ripped a pair of rca's trying to pull them from under the carpet was wondering if I could do this to avoid taking the cover of the center console out.
Thanks in advanced!
Old 05-29-15, 04:06 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Re read your question, it makes no sense. Subs are always hooked up to amp by speaker wire, the rca's are for the amp from the head unit. You need rca's, no question about it. As for running them under the carpet and console again, no real need to remove everything again, you can just loosen the bolts on the console, use electrical tape to tape the new cables to the old ones and gently pull though. It works 99% of the time. Sometimes it can get caught on something, usually it wont if you go slow. If you have a set of couplers you can use to couple them then tape them, that would be the easiest and safest way to pull them through.
Old 05-29-15, 07:54 PM
Foob
Driver

Oh okay, thanks Jokster. Got another problem, right now all the speakers correctly play sounds, but for some reason the driver's speaker and tweeter play at a much lower volume, any idea why? I swapped The rca's around on the amp to try if maybe that was the reason, but the sound still has a problem playing at the same volume as the rest, I'vd tried tuning the speakers using the controls on the amp but no luck there either.
Old 05-29-15, 08:14 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

It has to be a gain issue, does your amp has separate gain controls for each channel, or just one for the front, one for rear one for sub? Remember too, dont do 100% gain, only go about 75%, you dont want distorted power coming out. Also, check your component crossovers and make sure their settings are the same, there should be a jumper on the inside of the unit, if the driver side it set to higher frequencies, you'll naturally hear the other side louder, its a small possibility, but still possible.

Funny, I have the same problem and cant figure it out. Although I do attest that I am def in my left ear honestly, this happened too when I swapped to the new set up, One could speculate that the new driver size is firing differently and not meeting our ears as easy as the stocks did, but thats pure speculation.
Old 05-29-15, 11:52 PM
Foob
Driver

If im not mistaken there's a A& a B for both the front and the back, and then a gain control for the sub as well as a bass boost control. I'll have to check tomorrow morning. A jumper inside the crossover? I'll have to check that tomorrow too, I have a feeling that's the problem. Not sure what you mean by a jumper though.
haha I had my ear right next to the speaker, and the sound was extremely faint, but I could hear the sound coming from all 3 other doors perfectly, also turns out I forgot to wire the front passenger side speaker wires away from the power cable coming from the battery to the amp, where would I run that? Cause I can hear a slight buzz coming from the passenger side when playing at low volume.

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
It has to be a gain issue, does your amp has separate gain controls for each channel, or just one for the front, one for rear one for sub? Remember too, dont do 100% gain, only go about 75%, you dont want distorted power coming out. Also, check your component crossovers and make sure their settings are the same, there should be a jumper on the inside of the unit, if the driver side it set to higher frequencies, you'll naturally hear the other side louder, its a small possibility, but still possible.

Funny, I have the same problem and cant figure it out. Although I do attest that I am def in my left ear honestly, this happened too when I swapped to the new set up, One could speculate that the new driver size is firing differently and not meeting our ears as easy as the stocks did, but thats pure speculation.
Old 05-30-15, 12:32 PM
Foob
Driver

Default here's a pic of what the amp looks like

Here's the amp

Heres the passenger side

Heres the drivers side

Last edited by Foob; 05-30-15 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-30-15, 05:52 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Well after reading what you did (putting your head to the speaker), it definitely wouldnt be a crossover setting or amp gain issue. As for the jumper, in your case, it would be that switch. Sometimes its a jumper you move by hand by disconnecting, some are switches like this, same concept, different methods. I suppose it doesnt hurt to check and see if the switch is the same as the rest, but highly doubtful that it would make you have to put your ear close to it to hear anything.

Anyways, as for the problem. Check all your wires from that speaker to the amp, (predominantly on the ends) it sounds more like the wires are touching each other. A few things you can do:

Remove the wires from the amp and get any random speaker and hook it up to the amp on both the left and right channel one at a time to confirm that both sides sound at the same volume, that will eliminate an amp problem. If the speaker sounds the same, then the amp is fine, if you hear a notable difference, then the amp is bad. yes it can happen out of the box. However if one side is low,, do the above again but with the RCA's switched as well to see if the low sound follows just in case its a head unit or a cable problem. If it follows, get another set of RCA cables and run them over the carpet (no need to install yet cause you're just testing) connect to stereo and do the random speaker test thingy again. Cables can get damaged during install if not careful. This will rule out bad cables and/or bad head unit.

If the random speaker test on both channels proves the amp ok, completely remove all the wires on the crossover and amp, not the routing, just the ends and reinstall being careful that no wires are touching and see if that clears things up. Now that I think about it and look at the pictures, I really dont like installing bare wires like that on amps and especially crossovers, thats a great way to contaminate the signal with my above belief. Even if the wires look clean and sitting in nice and snug, a stray wire will have the tendency to do weird things inside and can easily touch each other on the inside back side. Personally, before I did anything, I'd get a box of these guys:

and redo all the crossovers, I wouldnt doubt that would solve the problem.

Now regardless in any order you do the above, if neither one fixes the issue, its possible the wire going to and from the amp is pinched somewhere and cutting off the signal. Before taking it all out, find some spare or buy some cheap *** speaker wire and through the outside of the car or any way to route it, route some new wire from the amp to the crossover and see if that clears it up.

Now if after all of that it doesnt give you volume, theres only one last thing it can be... A bad crossover. Easiest way to check that without a multimeter, the wire coming from the amp, hook it directly to the mid range driver and see if its loud. If it is, then you've found your problem. Doing this first would seem logical, but doing it before fixing a possible wire issue on the crossover itself wont give you an accurate answer. In my current haste I havent really given you a perfect order on doing these checks, but obviously doing the easier stuff first would be the logical thing.

Ok, I'll take a second The order I'd probably would do is, definitely get some fork terminals and redo the wiring on just the component set that is giving you the issue (for now) first and taking it from there. If that doesnt fix the problem, follow with connecting straight to the mid driver with the wire going to the input on the crossover. If that doesnt give you sound, do what I said above with the cheap wire. If that doesnt do it, then do what I said in the first paragraph with a random speaker and do all thats in that paragraph all the way to the new rca's

With all those tests, it should cover every thing, bad deck, amp or cross over's, as well as damaged rca's or wires run from amp to components. I'm confident that if this is all done, it will find the root of your problem. At $60+ an hour, this would cost you some feria at a shop
Old 06-04-15, 02:03 PM
Foob
Driver

thanks Jokster for the check list lol. so far I've swapped connections from the crossovers and the amp, still have the problem on just that side, also swapped rca connections, still havent bought those connectors you suggested will try those soon, brought it to the place I bought my componets from, while I was getting another rca for the sub, and the sales associate told me that I would need to check for any kinks in the wiring, typically found near where the door and the frame of the body connect, due to all the twists and turns. I will be checking that tomorrow as well. I really hope if it's any of the sources of power, it ends up being something I bought from the store cause I'll just swap it out over the counter, but if it's the headunit or something, that's gonna be a pain cause I bought that one off Amazon.
PS: Just incase there's a misunderstanding, I do have sound coming from the drivers side speaker it's just a very volume of sound, like if I just play from that speaker and tweeter, it's a very low volume and a very bad quality of sound (almost like it's being played through a tunnel. )
Old 06-04-15, 06:02 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yea thats why I said check your wiring and the ends. In my haste I failed to specify why LoL yes the kinks will cause the low sound. Breaks in the wire will degrade the signal. Also look for any panels pressing down or through the door where the metal could have cut the wire which would have the wires touch. That would cause the similar issue as the kink. All the checks above other than bad amp and deck have to do with the same thing, the wires being hindered in some fashion.
Old 06-08-15, 10:04 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics - how does the SEM Charcoal Trim Metallic match?
Old 06-09-15, 08:16 AM
Foob
Driver

Its a pretty close match, closest you'll get without someone color matching it with a machine or anything else. I recommend you just go and get the JDM double din peice for our cars from someone like nigel I regret not just buying it from him to begin with And not have this whole headache of painting this metra kit.
here's another pic, in the dark it seems to match nicely but when light is reflecting off it comes off a tad lighter

Last edited by Foob; 06-09-15 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-13-15, 09:35 AM
Foob
Driver

Default Its Done!

Everything is finally done! Amp mounted at the old factory sub location, crossovers mounted behind sub, camera drilled through and aligned. Quick question if anyone knows though, what do I connect my "reverse wire from my headunit to so that I don't have to manually switch to camera? Thanks for all the help everyone, especially Mr. Jokster! Here's pictures of the final results!

Custom made brackets to hold the amp up in existing sub location.

Old 06-13-15, 09:49 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Isnt that supposed to be connected to your reverse gear sensor or even possibly one of the reverse lights, what does the manual say?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to install a whole new sound system 98 Nak