GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going to install a whole new sound system 98 Nak

Old 05-05-15, 04:31 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Did you unplug the battery while you worked on your car? Having all your doors open can kill it in just a few hours.

As for the center console. Its very easy. I just dont remember exactly how, but you're half way there. I believe there are only 4 bolts, all inside the center console under the thin flap on the bottom. Remove the rear vent and their might be 2 more there. For some reason I'm thinking there are 2 under where the traction control button is.

I'm just guessing now cause its been a while. Nonetheless, its very simple, just a matter of looking for the bolts there are either 4 or 6 in total. None in the front, that part just slides in.
Old 05-05-15, 04:45 PM
Foob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battery was unplugged since I started on friday, just plugged in for a few seconds to check wether leds were installed correctly.
As for center cosole I only use bolts that hold the shifter in place, and on other one near the base storage location under the front armrest Attached to sheet metal. I can't find anymore. The front seems to have 2 screws in place

Old 05-05-15, 05:56 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The other 2 are right in the middle just behind where the TSC buttons are (those are the other 2 I meant were in the armrest). After you remove the inside bottom part of the arm rest (the part that loosens up after removing the 2 inside bolts ), They should be under there. Dont think you need to remove the ones on the shifter

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 05-05-15 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 08:11 AM
Foob
Driver

you guys know what size those two under the rear ac vent are? I tried 10 (too small) 11 too big, 1/2 too big, 7/16 slightly big.

Stumped
Old 05-06-15, 03:49 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

If you're still trying to remove the center console, These arent part of the removal.

Heres the DIY, just 6 bolts as mentioned

http://bananags.grantham-internation..._shiftconsole/
Old 05-06-15, 05:05 PM
Foob
Driver

Thanks Jokster,
Figured it out! Also my uncle said that because I disconnected the ignition to swap leds my car doesn't start.

Last edited by Foob; 05-06-15 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 06:52 PM
Mrmartin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To not start a new thread, what do you audio guys think about Hybrid components? Local stereo shop was trying to sell me on the level 4 clarus set.

http://hybrid-audio.com/products/
Old 05-06-15, 07:01 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mrmartin
To not start a new thread, what do you audio guys think about Hybrid components? Local stereo shop was trying to sell me on the level 4 clarus set.

http://hybrid-audio.com/products/
This is a build thread, you do need to start a new thread. Might I suggest the audio section.
Old 05-08-15, 10:27 AM
Foob
Driver

Update, gonna try and work through the night sodering the speaker wires, and mounting the speaker adapters to the door frame.should be done with pretty much everything tonight then have to put the car back together tomorrow .
Old 05-11-15, 06:22 PM
Foob
Driver

another update
Sorry for not updating for a couple days, school started back up again so Ive been having to get back into class mode lol.
(3rd year of college Mechanical Engineering)
Had to order some more speaker wire, total 37 feet now, cause im keeping the crossovers in the trunk hidden away. So far I've got the speakers mounted, some more dampening, tweeters mounted using exisiting mounting hardware and have the wires run through under the carpet and am planning to soder it all up tomorrow, then I should have it pretty much ready to have everything put back into the car... repainting the dash kit again cause I screwed it up again. Here's what the speakers look like after being mounted onto the car
front drivers side

Here's the passenger side

Will update again soon, with more pictures of the rest of the speakers mounted, it's too dark out to take any right now.

Last edited by Foob; 05-11-15 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 06:40 AM
Foob
Driver

Tweeters installed. Final parts of wiring being done today. In total, started with 10 feet of speaker wire, ordered 27 feet more, then needed to do the passenger side, so I ordered 40 more feet of wire on tuesday, total speaker wire length to run all componets, and run the tweeters to the trunk: 77 feet.

Here's one of the tweeters, installed on the exisiting mounting from the factory tweeters.

Speaker baffles to prevent water damage going to be sealed up and installed.
Holes installed at the bottom to allow air flow and ability to run wires out from speaker to the amp in the trunk.

I know ive been saying nearing the end, and finishing today, but i really think this is it, just gotta put everything back together once the wires get here this afternoon while they get sodered in. <br/>Excited to hear what it sounds like!

Last edited by Foob; 05-15-15 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-24-15, 08:43 PM
Foob
Driver

Removed stock sub, btw if anyone is intrested I've got the tweeters, all the speakers, and the rear sub in near perfect condition expect for one of the holes to screw into on one of the speakers believe it was one of the front speaker brackets rippled off by accident while removing. Also have got the nak headunit but the led screen is having that legeblity problem eveyone has with those headunits. Everything else still working so messege me if your intrested and we can work something out. I'll be making a post in the classifieds for all that once this install is done.

We have Light!!!

Little something extra for even more omph! 2 JL Audio 10" Subs, gonna be mounted facing the back of the rear seats!

Old 05-25-15, 01:59 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Nice progress

As for the woofers, you might want to reconsider facing the woofers forward. Unless you plan on completely sealing the trunk from the cabin, you're better off facing them backwards.
Old 05-25-15, 07:01 PM
Foob
Driver

Wouldn't that cause the trunk to rattle more? Would sound quality suffer if I face them inward? I wanted to do it cause I though it would increase bass and I wouldn't worry about dropping or ripping the subs compared to facing the trunk.
Old 05-25-15, 08:06 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Loose sound quality, lots of bass. As said, if you're not planning on sealing the trunk off from the cabin (in other words trapping all the bass in the cabin) its gonna sound like crap. Most people wont go through the trouble and expense to seal it off correctly and such a simple set up isnt really worth going through the trouble. Trunk rattle isnt that hard to get rid of, its usually only just the license plate which you can just bend outward also add some insulation around the perimeter of the lid and you're done.

Nonetheless, since its just 2 10's, it shouldnt be that hard to face them both ways to hear the difference.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 05-25-15 at 08:11 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to install a whole new sound system 98 Nak