GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going to install a whole new sound system 98 Nak

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 12:40 PM
Foob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Ya I just got the quote from the store, called and asked if they have the Coax in stock, they do...and for cheaper! The guy who gave me the quote was out on lunch so he's gonna call me back later today cause I wanna ask why he recommended the audison coax instead . About the amp where did you find it for 190$!? Original price is 499.99, I got a discount down to 399.99. Here's the full info on the amp it's a Kenwood Excelon 5 channel amp 75Wx4 600x1 at 2 ohms. I couldn't really find it anywhere online, either the 500w or that 900/1000 watt version I think was what I found online. The 2 10's hit hard! It's the JL audio 10W0V3-4 ported enclosure with grey fabric, this thing hit so hard the boxes next to it actually fell down lol no joke! These were being powered by a separate amp dedicated for the sub, but all in all I heard what the whole combo sounds like, and it sounded awesome! Plus the box is set up so that you could have it in any orientation, we had it face down and towards me at first and this was near the fent store window and the window was even rattleing!!!! I told them I'm not looking for loud music (which is what the sales person told me kicker would have given me) i wanted clean sound. Unfortunately they didnt have Focals but all in all With this Hertz/JL/kenwood combo I got the best combo so far. Also! The reason I looked at that headunit to begin with is because it has a volume ****, I know I know touch screen touch screen! But it's just something about having resistance from the **** that I like. Plus I got it for a total steal!!! (240$) and free shipping from amazon. Gonna see if I could go back to the store tomorrow and hear it again with my dad, cause he's being feeding me with doubts about everything with this car. Ill show him!
Thanks for the info Jokster! Really appreciate you sharing the knowledge!

Quick Question, do you know anything about the brand EFX and their wires? Looking that their amp kit and RCA wires. Here's my cart on Crutchfield as of now for wires. http://www.crutchfield.com/WID-10239...t/default.aspx

Haven't had any sound in my car for like 3 months just me and a JBL portable Bluetooth speaker, but I would like to know what I'm getting soon, so far it seems like this set up!
Here's what my quote looks like so far, will add in sound dampening and wires to that list next.

Last edited by Foob; 04-11-15 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 03:40 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

The amp you posted was $190:

Amazon.com : Kenwood KAC-7005PS Performance Series 5 Channel Power Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Electronics Amazon.com : Kenwood KAC-7005PS Performance Series 5 Channel Power Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Electronics

The deck you posted wasnt that price either, btw, these new **** decks are no different than digital (and even though its touch screen, it has buttons for volume) My **** went bad 2 years after having it. potentiometers arent very reliable because of the constant wear. Its gonna get to a point to where the more you turn it,the more it scrapes the surface to where it wont read correctly anymore. You'll try to turn it down, and it goes up and visa vera, at least with the buttons, its one button for up and one for down. The ***** arent at all like the old school ones and dont give you the same control as you would think . Your info keeps going all over the place. you never once mentioned JL for woofers, you wanted crappy CVR's Now I have no clue what you're doing...

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 04-11-15 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 03:59 PM
Foob
Driver

Check my post #56, after going to the audio store I wanted to change the whole idea/ cart I had originally. Went from kickers to Hertz, with JL subs, and Kenwood Headunit. Already have the headunit on its way, I felt the **** at the local best buy, played with the headunit itself though it doesn't feel like the **** on the factory headunit which had kept up with use for the last 17 years. Amp went from the original kenwood amp I had an idea of getting originally to a 600W Excelon 5.
Think this is it: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MIaATBI...n-XR900-5.html
Here's the price I paid for the headunit

Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by Foob; 04-11-15 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 04:11 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yea the **** on the factory headunit is a total different ****. I highly recommend getting and using the remote for the deck to prolong the life to the ****. The **** is totally fixable, but you have to pull the deck apart and work on the ****. Thats what I had to do, but not everyone does that kind of shtuff

Old 04-11-15, 05:26 PM
Foob
Driver

I'll look into if Kenwood offers a remote for my deck For sure. So what did u have to do? Take the frame off the decks front end and unplug and replug the ****? Greased? Also if you could give me your opinion on EFX, and if you've heard anthing good about them, that would be awesome. Planning on using their RCA's ans using the stingers amp kit, along with stinger speaker wires.
Old 04-11-15, 07:44 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Stingers ok, thats just my opinion. I'd rather go up higher with maybe RF or JL (not their entry level stuff). I used Kicker higher end stuff. Wires DO matter. One of the many things I've run into the years. I replaced a costumers wires and was in complete awe in the change of sound. Sure his old stuff was fine, but the difference and clarity were phenomenal! JUST when you think you know it all. Wires (both power and rca wires) need a resistance to everything, cheaper stuff wont do that and you can pick ground loops and engine sounds like the infamous whine. the higher quality stuff lets you not worry. Yes the lower end stuff works, but you have to install in a way that thres nothing around to interfere with the signal being passed.

As for the 'grease', there was a lubricant that we used at work that would do the job for us when these types of ***** went out on us. It really only bandaided the problem, the best fix is to open them up and clean the hell out of them (if possible) but sometimes they're just so bad you're better off replacing them.

This is the inside of a potentiometer,

notice the brown upside down rainbow, well when you turn the ****, its like a record needle that makes contact with that which controls the gain. After daily up and down, it can get dirty or out right rubbed the hell down to where the 'needle' wont make contact anymore. The thick lube we used really only helped make better contact by acting like a conductor and would have to be applied often cause it wasnt permanent.
Old 04-11-15, 07:58 PM
Foob
Driver

Okay got it thanks! Think I've got my whole plan set up, will be ordering/picking up everything in the next week or so, then will update when I start/finish the install near the end of April (when schools over)
Again thanks for the help everyone, especially Mr.Jokster! You guys are great, thinking now about how I almost went kicker until you guys reccomended some second action lol
thanks again, will update
Old 04-11-15, 08:12 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Nonetheless, you're gonna have some kickin audio, wish I could hear it! My last recommendation is to (if you do it yourself) do extensive research for the proper box for those subs. EVERY box sounds different in every car, acoustics very from car to car from the material cars are made of to factory deadening. You can get a box that sounds great in one vehicle and its gonna sound like caca in another. Its all about how the wavelengths travel withing a car and how far they need to travel etc. I'm speaking of optimal use, cause anything can be content to a listener, but a good shop will factor in everything when building a box. The biggest suck part of our car is the sun roof, creates a lot of issues. If you can sacrifice a lot of space, I recommend a 4th order bandpass ported through the rear deck where the factory sub would be. Its basically the same concept as a cut through in a pickup truck. Greatest benefit is absolutely NO trunk rattle (saves on deadening material) and you get ALL the sound into the car without loosing any from the bass breathing around in the trunk.
Old 04-13-15, 03:42 PM
Foob
Driver

Speakers, Amp, and Rear View Camera are here! Waiting on Dash kit, Headunit, adapters, wires and Sound Dampening! It's all coming in the next week.

So exciting!
Old 04-13-15, 05:21 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Nice list, hope those w0 10's will satisfy you. Did you go through the shop or online? SO much cheaper online brotha even WITH warranty.
Old 04-13-15, 07:35 PM
Foob
Driver

W0 10's sounded amazing in store just gonna save up more to grab those later, will run the wires and everything so that it would just slide in and plug and tune. I got the speakers and the amp from a local store out of reccomendation from my gf's father. Got stuff for great prices, least I think. Got my wires off crutchfield, and everything else Amazon for great Prices. Wires ran me about 120 including the amp kit off amazon. 932 for speakers and amp, another 120 for sound dampening, and 240 for the headunit. Next on the list of things to save up for is the JL subs that will go in the trunk in their own enclosure. Then some clazzio seat covers, body work (repaint) , wheels, and last but not least suspension. Lol them it will be completely done lmao
Old 04-22-15, 09:23 AM
Foob
Driver

Default update

Got everything for the car (exempt subs) got some SEM spray paint for the dash kit. Anyone have experience with using bumper paint on Interior plastics?

All the stuff lol, everyones telling me i can open a store with all the stuff ive got in my room for the car's stereo.
Old 04-22-15, 10:12 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The only suggestion for the painting is to of course rough it up with sand paper and most importantly, use an adhesive promoter on it before you paint. This will help prevent any chipping from contact.
Old 04-22-15, 07:45 PM
Foob
Driver

That's like a primer right? Color of the primer doesn't make any difference either right, cause it's a dark colored spray paint going over it anyway?
Old 04-22-15, 08:20 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

No its not primer, its an adhesive promoter, it promotes adhesion, helps the paint stick to the surface like crazy. Its available anywhere you get paint:

Primer just primes the surface for paint i.e covers sanding marks, prevents bleed through.

Process:

Prep the part, clean it, adhesive promoter, primer, shoot some color, clear, sand and buff.

Quick Reply: Going to install a whole new sound system 98 Nak