GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going to install a whole new sound system 98 Nak

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 01:16 PM
Foob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Get the JDM Toyota dash kit, it matches perfectly. I'd spend as much as you can on good components and plenty of power for the front and not worry too much about the rears, if you do the front right the rear seat passengers will be fine. The Nakamichi system has 4's in enclosures in the doors, you'll need to make or buy adapter plates for 6.5's. I've seen them on eBay but if you've got a jigsaw they're not hard to make yourself. The mids for the component set would be in the doors and the tweeters could be mounted in the stock location in the sail panels.
Could you link me to a JDM Toyota dash kit so I could get an idea of what it looks like?
Old 04-05-15, 03:19 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I said 3 way components, not coaxials. Components has a tweeter separate from a 4" separate from a 6.5" (different companies have different sizes) This is a set of Focal 3 ways:

And not those arent amps... They're crossovers
Old 04-05-15, 03:30 PM
Foob
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I said 3 way components, not coaxials. Components has a tweeter separate from a 4" separate from a 6.5" (different companies have different sizes) This is a set of Focal 3 ways:

And not those arent amps... They're crossovers
Woah that's a lot of components, where could I fit all those lol. I know typically cross overs are installed under the seats if I'm not mistaken, right? So there would be a crossover for each set of components? Like one for passenger one for driver? Not looking for super over the top lol, this definitely looks over the top, I just want a small improvement with quality parts that won't break the bank. But this has caught my eye none the less!
btw if this is yours, NICE SETUP!
Old 04-05-15, 04:05 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A 3 way setup isn't practical for what you're looking at doing (will require more custom work) but is the ideal way to do it. I've got 6.5's in the doors and 4's and tweeters in kickpanel pods but for your application a 2 way component set would generally give you better results than coaxials. So there'd be a 6.5" and a seperate tweeter and then a crossover for each side. The crossovers can be mounted in the trunk near the amp or depending on their size somewhere in the door or maybe even under the dash.

Here's the jdm trim piece, you'll need the brackets too, not sure if Nigel has them too, didn't check around thoroughly but it's a perfect match to the finish on the climate controls. http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/toyota...e-din-dash-kit

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 04-05-15 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 04:09 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The tweets can can usually be crammed into the stock location as well as the 6.5. The 4" would have to get creative and will probably cost about another $100 per side. Best place would be in the pillars. You can go cheap and make an enclosure that will butt into the corner of the A-pillar sash and the windshield (probably the easiest way)

I know I can make these pillars, nothing new for me, just not sure I have the patience for it anymore LoL I might end up doing the 4" pods up at the windshield. Not too much a fan of kick pods, they get in the way and my legs block the sound from them. I actually almost got in an accident because I couldnt engage the parking brake to stop, I had to yank the pod out off the floor to step on the brake. Some pods can be made flush to the panel, but that defeats the purpose of them cause they dont face you.

As for the crossovers, I personally like to keep them by the components, also keeps wiring to a minimum. They can fit behind kick panels if they're custom made, but the door has lots of space for them. Thats where I have mine tucked away

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 04-05-15 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 07:41 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I've never heard a car with mids in the pillars and never even considered them fitting there as a possibility when I did mine, obviously I'm not paying attention to what people are doing! I can definitely see the benefits, assuming there's usually some processing and time alignment used to reduce side bias? I'd love to try it but I'm in the same spot, doubt I'll find the motivation and time to actually do it.

Guess I'm just used to kickpanels, been doing them for 15 years. I drive with my left foot pulled back a bit even in my daily driver that doesn't have kickpanels just out of habit built over the years. I built a "notch" into the driver's side for the pedal travel.
Old 04-05-15, 08:26 PM
Foob
Driver

A 3 way setup isn't practical for what you're looking at doing (will require more custom work) but is the ideal way to do it. I've got 6.5's in the doors and 4's and tweeters in kickpanel pods but for your application a 2 way component set would generally give you better results than coaxials. So there'd be a 6.5" and a seperate tweeter and then a crossover for each side. The crossovers can be mounted in the trunk near the amp or depending on their size somewhere in the door or maybe even under the dash.

Here's the jdm trim piece, you'll need the brackets too, not sure if Nigel has them too, didn't check around thoroughly but it's a perfect match to the finish on the climate controls. http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/toyota...e-din-dash-kit

Thanks for the clear description, Yea I'm looking at a Kicker 2-way set up right now, no more coax except for maybe the back? Also, just messaged Nigel to double check if they do offer the brackets for the dash kit, couldn't find them on the site.

Here's the Kicker 2 way im thinking of getting:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGRMDR4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HMQWMQOK7DAQ&coliid=I38BE0PMLEZ2WQ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGRMDR4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HMQWMQOK7DAQ&coliid=I38BE0PMLEZ2WQ

Mr. Jokster Please don't kill me lol

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
The tweets can can usually be crammed into the stock location as well as the 6.5. The 4" would have to get creative and will probably cost about another $100 per side. Best place would be in the pillars. You can go cheap and make an enclosure that will butt into the corner of the A-pillar sash and the windshield (probably the easiest way)

I know I can make these pillars, nothing new for me, just not sure I have the patience for it anymore LoL I might end up doing the 4" pods up at the windshield. Not too much a fan of kick pods, they get in the way and my legs block the sound from them. I actually almost got in an accident because I couldnt engage the parking brake to stop, I had to yank the pod out off the floor to step on the brake. Some pods can be made flush to the panel, but that defeats the purpose of them cause they dont face you.

As for the crossovers, I personally like to keep them by the components, also keeps wiring to a minimum. They can fit behind kick panels if they're custom made, but the door has lots of space for them. Thats where I have mine tucked away
I like the idea of just fitting the crossovers in the door, keeps it neat and less wiring to worry about. Hope the tweeters go in easy lol, do you guys know if the tweeters i got selected fit in the stock location?

Question about Sound Isolation, which brand did u go with, and how much of it did you use, and where did you use it the most? (Question is for everyone lol?
Thanks
Old 04-05-15, 08:28 PM
Foob
Driver

I've never heard a car with mids in the pillars and never even considered them fitting there as a possibility when I did mine, obviously I'm not paying attention to what people are doing! I can definitely see the benefits, assuming there's usually some processing and time alignment used to reduce side bias? I'd love to try it but I'm in the same spot, doubt I'll find the motivation and time to actually do it.

Guess I'm just used to kickpanels, been doing them for 15 years. I drive with my left foot pulled back a bit even in my daily driver that doesn't have kickpanels just out of habit built over the years. I built a "notch" into the driver's side for the pedal travel.
That looks pretty clean too, like the notch
Old 04-05-15, 08:44 PM
mcsddd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foob
Thanks for the clear description, Yea I'm looking at a Kicker 2-way set up right now, no more coax except for maybe the back? Also, just messaged Nigel to double check if they do offer the brackets for the dash kit, couldn't find them on the site.

Here's the Kicker 2 way im thinking of getting:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGRMDR4/...I38BE0PMLEZ2WQ

Mr. Jokster Please don't kill me lol

I like the idea of just fitting the crossovers in the door, keeps it neat and less wiring to worry about. Hope the tweeters go in easy lol, do you guys know if the tweeters i got selected fit in the stock location?

Question about Sound Isolation, which brand did u go with, and how much of it did you use, and where did you use it the most? (Question is for everyone lol?
Thanks
It's better to put the crossovers in the trunk or under the seat like you said. When they're in the door they can be exposed to moisture. It's not like they would get soaked but if you're going to re-do all the wiring you might as well run the extra wires. And eventually if you decide to run the speakers active the wires would already be ran to the trunk so it's an easier upgrade.
Old 04-05-15, 08:50 PM
Foob
Driver

Originally Posted by mcsddd
It's better to put the crossovers in the trunk or under the seat like you said. When they're in the door they can be exposed to moisture. It's not like they would get soaked but if you're going to re-do all the wiring you might as well run the extra wires. And eventually if you decide to run the speakers active the wires would already be ran to the trunk so it's an easier upgrade.
Oh okay, good point would prob mount them either underneath the sub in that little raise area or under the seats.

These the right adaptors?
Which one?
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...859968&alt=web

Or

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...068065&alt=web

Last edited by Foob; 04-05-15 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 09:43 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

If the crossovers are mounted inside the door you shouldn't have to worry too much about moisture but it may be a bit safer to keep them further out of harms way. Mine are displayed in the trunk but I wouldn't hesitate to put them inside the inner door panel if I wasn't showing them.

I've got a bunch of these in my car http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com...tiles%E2%84%A2 along with a little fatmat and some bxt II and ensolite from raamaudio. I'd read up on the site I linked along with the raamaudio site, both those guys know what they're doing and offer a good product at a reasonable price imo. You've just gotta decide how far you want to go with the deadening.
Old 04-05-15, 09:52 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The tweeters in that kit will work perfect, they're 3/4" which I believe is what we have stock. I'm running I think 1 1/2" woofer tweeters and I was able to cram it in there As for the crossovers in my doors, I failed to mentions that with the custom panels, I utilized the factory enclosure and I have the crossovers in there.

Factory enclosure:

mock up before the actual. The space next to where the woofer goes is where I was able to put the crossover.

Old 04-05-15, 09:59 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yea with the mids in the pillars and especially next to the tweeter, the sound is literally in your face with no obstructions. The the sound contrast is wonderful.

I never thought about putting a notch for a kick panel. Good idea... Unless your pads are down to nothing like mine though LoL I have to put them to the floor for them to actually work LoL guess I need to change them
Old 04-05-15, 10:05 PM
Foob
Driver

Alright, thanks Kyle

Thanks Mr. Jokster

Thanks MCSDDD
Should I go coax or just component speakers for the rear?
Nearing the end, almost time to go shopping!
Old 04-05-15, 10:10 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I'd go coax in the rear, theres no place for a tweeter, unless you want to drill holes for them in your door panels. I put components for the rears and for some retarded reason I put the tweeter with the enclosure forgetting that the door panel was gonna block the sound... and it did

Quick Reply: Going to install a whole new sound system 98 Nak