GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

headlights: why is one white and the other blue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 09:03 PM
Foob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headlights: why is one white and the other blue?

so previously my car(with its previous owner) has been in an accident the previous owner changed one of the headlights and kept the other one one there (as the son has told me) I installed an hid kit about 2 years ago because the passenger side blasst was having some problems, (only the passenger sidr headight ballast was changed to a new kit ballast (one of those slim ones) the drivers side is still factory HID ballast powered. Both bulbs have been switched over to 6000k bulbs and ive even gone and bought a new drivers side headlight being told that my drivers side is the green tint veriant and the passenger side being clear. I have now a clear drivers side headlight installed and a clear passenger that has always been on the car. The car is a 1998 with Factory HID's. Could anyone tell me why one headlight looks blue and one white?

Notice how the passeneger side has a more blue tint to the light (6000k color i ordered) And the drivers side has a more pure white (5000k?) Could it be because the manufacturer i ordered the lights from accidently packaged a 5000k and 6000k blub in the packaging?

Drivers side from a side

This is a picture of the previously installed headlight (green tint) with the same 6000k bulbs from my hid kit, the ballast on the passenger side is aftermarket any help appreciated!
Old 03-25-15, 09:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Most likely you're using cheap bulbs (no offense, pretty much everyone does) They really only last about 2 years and will begin discoloring or just stop working at all. Its normal. This even happens to authentic Phillps bulbs, thats why they sell 85122CM bulbs CM meaning color match because they do loose their color over time, name brand bulbs just last much longer than aftermarket bulbs. Ballasts wont matter in the color, it has to do with the gases in the bulbs. Now if they're out of the box like that, then yes the seller could have mixed them up, or they just came from totally different batches and the gases dont match.
Old 03-25-15, 09:37 PM
Foob
Driver

Default thank for the quick reply!

gonna see if the seller can send me another pair under warrenty. Btw the kit was from kensun. Idk if their considered a cheap brand. wI'll update for others if anyone ever ends up like this lol. Again thanks for your help!
Old 03-26-15, 05:25 AM
Bullitt180
Driver

Try putting the aftermarket ballast on the driver side where the factory ballast is and see if that changes anything.
Old 03-26-15, 07:15 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

2 different lumens?
Old 03-26-15, 09:20 AM
Foob
Driver

Default here's what the lights look like in the day

Old 03-26-15, 09:29 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Try swapping the bulbs and see whether it's the bulbs.

It very well may be the ballasts, goes against conventional wisdom but when I did my quad fogs I had 2 xenon depot "higher quality" ballasts and 2 cheap ballasts. The cheap ballast bulbs were dimmer and looked bluer, swapped bulbs and those ballasts were always dimmer. Bought another pair of xenon depot ballasts and they all matched.

I'm far from an expert on the inner workings of these things, but the aftermarket ballast may not be giving quite as much power to the bulb or something along those lines so it isn't as bright and therefore appears bluer.
Old 03-26-15, 10:28 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

From my experience, over time HID bulbs slowly turn more and more blue as they age until they turn purple and die. I'm guessing the bulb that you had in there before is "older" than the brand new one, hence the color difference. If it's a relatively new bulb, I'm guessing their quality control isn't very good and 6000k could be + or - 1000k. I'm assuming they will send you a pair that match each other, not necessarily other bulbs of the same temperature. The new "white" one looks more like 5000k than 6000k
Old 03-26-15, 10:38 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

If I read correctly both his bulbs are the same age, there can definitely be variations between two bulbs that are the same color temp, I've had that happen before as well, particularly with cheap bulbs.

Swapping the bulbs side to side is always my first troubleshooting step with lights, easiest thing to check and eliminate or confirm as the problem.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 03-26-15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 11:36 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Doesn't have to do with the color of the headlight bulb, but the OP also has a 2001+ passenger headlight, and a 1998-2000 driver headlight.
Old 03-26-15, 02:33 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Ohh I misread that, he was referring to the ballasts, my mistake. The only thing I can think of is quality control of the cheap bulbs, or possibly they did pack the wrong color temp in the box. Only real solution would be to buy two new bulbs from a more reputable dealer. Doesn't look too noticeable from pictures but it may be more prominent in person..
Old 03-26-15, 04:02 PM
Foob
Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Doesn't have to do with the color of the headlight bulb, but the OP also has a 2001+ passenger headlight, and a 1998-2000 driver headlight.
So the reason my headlight doesn't match is because my drivers side is from the older model and my passenger side is from 2001+? Damn that sucks, I sent a request to the headlight seller on amazon to see if I could get a pair sent for free under warrenty.
Old 03-26-15, 04:03 PM
Foob
Driver

Originally Posted by lostape45
Ohh I misread that, he was referring to the ballasts, my mistake. The only thing I can think of is quality control of the cheap bulbs, or possibly they did pack the wrong color temp in the box. Only real solution would be to buy two new bulbs from a more reputable dealer. Doesn't look too noticeable from pictures but it may be more prominent in person..
Trust me it definitely stands out more in person. Notice how the drivers side headlight is a little darker too? That's not from shade or anything its just that dark
Old 03-26-15, 04:16 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Yes, the housings in 01+ have a slight green tint to the chrome bezel, that's why the drivers side housing appears darker. As far as I know, the reflector bowls are the same so that shouldn't be affecting the color of the light.
Old 03-26-15, 05:13 PM
Foob
Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Yes, the housings in 01+ have a slight green tint to the chrome bezel, that's why the drivers side housing appears darker. As far as I know, the reflector bowls are the same so that shouldn't be affecting the color of the light.
Before you said the passenger was a 01+, now you say The drivers side is 01+. I'm confused lol. The passenger side is older (98-00) driver is newer(01+)?

Quick Reply: headlights: why is one white and the other blue?