GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wow! Very odd electrical problem, whole car shorting out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 07:28 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Wow! Very odd electrical problem, whole car shorting out.

As soon as I touch my key to the ignition, the whole car goes dead. All the lights shut off, the steering wheel doesnt move etc...

The spring like piece inside the ignition hole, as soon as I press that in with the key, everything goes dead. I put a key with no transponder, same thing happens. I used a small screwdriver and gently put it in to see if any shorting happened, non did. Please dont tell me its the ignition switch. What the hell is going on?!
Old 03-22-15, 07:58 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a weird power cut out issue with a bad battery.

Maybe if you have a charger, or jumper, throw it on your battery (while in the car, turn it on) and then check?

I know you stated this is happening while addressing the ignition cylinder, but, symptom is similar...

Just a thought....
Old 03-22-15, 08:21 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting and worth the try, however, this has happened a couple times this past week and after the first 'die out' it would start on the second attempt which would make me believe that its not a charging issue. Also, the alternator is 2 months old and the battery is less than 6. I did talk to a dealer mechanic friend and he has 98% confirmed that it quite possibly can be the switch. Not the lock, but the switch itself. I wont rule out the battery though, I'll try your suggestion
Old 03-22-15, 08:24 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

Yeah, I also doubt it's a charging / voltage issue... but based on the quirk I had causing the same thing, it's certainly something I'd check for good measure before swapping a switch....

Good luck! (I did just read a thread on here where dude swapped his to push button, that's pretty rad)
Old 03-23-15, 12:33 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I remember correctly you have an aftermarket sound system right, I would check the power wire that you ran from the ignition, maybe disable the sound system and see if it does the same thing.
Old 03-23-15, 09:38 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I think I just confirmed that its the switch. I unplugged it and everything that should work without it is now functioning properly. Also, I just remembered a few things. I posted a few months back about a lot of weird things that were happening which can possibly trace back to the switch and more importantly I barely remembered that very often I would remove my key from ignition after driving and it would be scorching hot, well now I know why. The car was giving me hints for a while now that something was wrong, I just couldnt figure out what it was.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 03-23-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 06:34 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

Glad you got her sorted out quickly... nothing worse than chasing a problem lol
Old 03-23-15, 07:14 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shorty SMC
Glad you got her sorted out quickly... nothing worse than chasing a problem lol
Yea, electrical problems are the worst! Thats why there are so many mint German cars sitting in graves LoL
Old 03-23-15, 07:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that's why there are two schools of thought on CL and probably other forums. If you modify, tamper or change from factory, you are going to run into issues. Keeping it stock may mean you gotta put up with... well stock.

I think these cars are incredibly complex. Lexus was definitely one of the most advanced manufacturers with the GS/LS. If you cut and hack into its wiring, be prepared for possible issues. I think that goes for suspensions too.

Me, I'm happy to play it safe and keep the car the way it was out of the factory.
Old 03-23-15, 10:12 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
Well that's why there are two schools of thought on CL and probably other forums. If you modify, tamper or change from factory, you are going to run into issues. Keeping it stock may mean you gotta put up with... well stock.

I think these cars are incredibly complex. Lexus was definitely one of the most advanced manufacturers with the GS/LS. If you cut and hack into its wiring, be prepared for possible issues. I think that goes for suspensions too.

Me, I'm happy to play it safe and keep the car the way it was out of the factory.
I don't get the motive of your statement. None of my problems have anything to do with my modified vehicle, its a simple wear and tear item that's finally met its end of life. Your statement is unjustified and irrelevant. If a car is modified correctly, nothing will go wrong other than the same maintenance that would be required with factory equipment. No hacking is done on my car, my knowledge and skills allow me to do things correctly.

Me, I'm happy to think out of the box and own a creation that people dream of and be proud of what my blood, sweat and tears have created. It works perfectly fine and in some cases better than what came out of the factory. Some people like plain, some people like style.

Your school of thought is flawed, to each his own.
Old 03-23-15, 11:11 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I don't get the motive of your statement. None of my problems have anything to do with my modified vehicle, its a simple wear and tear item that's finally met its end of life. Your statement is unjustified and irrelevant. If a car is modified correctly, nothing will go wrong other than the same maintenance that would be required with factory equipment. No hacking is done on my car, my knowledge and skills allow me to do things correctly.

Me, I'm happy to think out of the box and own a creation that people dream of and be proud of what my blood, sweat and tears have created. It works perfectly fine and in some cases better than what came out of the factory. Some people like plain, some people like style.

wish i could hand out reps
Old 03-25-15, 05:51 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Im sorry but since when does a switch go bad? This sounds like something that only an aftermarket stereo would provoke. I have had dozens of stereos installed by the most professional shops in NY and eventually they ALL cause minor eletrical problems or something to die out faster like the alternator or battery. Some people can live with it, I cant. I rather have all stock and piece of mind. I think thats what he was trying to say, that not keeping your car stock will just increase the wear and tear aspect of any vehicle and will possibly make things die out faster like this switch you speak of which correct me if I am wrong I have never heard of these going bad on a stock GS. But much respect for you for modding your car like you do because it looks really nice.
Old 03-25-15, 02:18 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Im sorry but since when does a switch go bad? This sounds like something that only an aftermarket stereo would provoke. I have had dozens of stereos installed by the most professional shops in NY and eventually they ALL cause minor eletrical problems or something to die out faster like the alternator or battery. Some people can live with it, I cant. I rather have all stock and piece of mind. I think thats what he was trying to say, that not keeping your car stock will just increase the wear and tear aspect of any vehicle and will possibly make things die out faster like this switch you speak of which correct me if I am wrong I have never heard of these going bad on a stock GS. But much respect for you for modding your car like you do because it looks really nice.
I owned a stereo shop and have done many installs and countless on my own vehicles and been without problems. Electronics go bad, thats just it. If this part never went bad, then why do they sell it? Anything can go bad, now what caused it to go bad, I doubt it can be proven. Just because a car is not notorious for something to go bad doesnt mean it wont go bad and that it was caused due to modifications. My pops van is completely stock, his switch for his A/C went bad. Its a switch, it went bad. And not all electronics are created equal, ask anyone who knows in depth on electronics on how capacitors, resistors, transistors, diodes etc just because one is rated at a certain level doesnt mean its exact. Perfect example, thats why real audio brands' amplifiers come with birth certificates to show what their true output is, because the components again arent equal. What am I getting at? Maybe my switch was one of the few where the board just had a mix of components that made one work harder than it could and it finally gave out. In reality though, my car has 240,000 miles on it (and still kicking ) with the majority put on by me, how many GS's are up there to compare common/notorious problems with them ya know.

Its just very hard for me to believe that a deck would cause this to happen, an ignition signal is no more than a volt and doesnt change. If Lexus is suppose to be so superb as mentioned, then I would think it can hold up to a simple deck change. There are thousands of car with decks and other components that I'm sure have no problem with their switch. And as for all my other accessories, everything is completely independent from the car other than the radio switch. I have 3 auxiliary batteries on an isolator and everything is connected to them Not arguing, just discussing.

Thank you for the compliments
Old 03-25-15, 02:22 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

I work full time in the wonderful world of Recording / Mixing / Mastering music.

Over the years I have gotten pretty decent with equipment repairs as well.....

I can't tell you how many times I've had switches go bad on me. ALL THE TIME ! !
Power switches, rotory potentiometers (*****), slide potentiometers (faders), tactile switches, toggle switches, rockers, PBNO's... blah blah.... TONS of times.

Switches fail like any other mechanical or electrical component.

Very common.

Ironically enough, my step brother called this morning for me to help him troubleshoot his kids car.... turns out.... it's the ignition switch (Not the cylinder, but the switch, in a deville)

happens. all. the. time.
Old 03-25-15, 07:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. Each to his own. "Not arguing, just discussing"... heck of a discussion.

So did you solve the problem yet?

Quick Reply: Wow! Very odd electrical problem, whole car shorting out.