GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New paint job or vinyl wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 12:28 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPWRAPS
3M carbon fiber i know sctratches easy... The color is up to you VViViD high gloss black is really glossy and appears like you have that panameric sun roof... Its sick... Going on my GS this week if i get a break from working lol
you mean scratch from installation? or scratching in general from bumping and washing etc? I thought the 3M carbon is pretty durable?
Old 03-17-15, 07:55 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES its so true 90% of Carbon fiber vinyl Scratches worse than plastidip unless you get the newer 'high gloss' from Arlon Hexis and i saw Vvivid has it too now i mentioned carbon fiber because the roof is lightly longer than 5ft but CF stretches really well and so 5ft will do fairly well

but perosnally i think black gloss looks better

and tmf2004 if your doing it by yourself i always found splitting it in sections worked best like GSF said start in the center but never complete an end until everythings covered and air bubbles are gone and once your about to tuck all your edges id do the sun roof first because it will take a lot of friction when you use your sunroof.

warning to anyone most vinyls (that I've used) can get scratches, rips, peeled edges and so on in machine car washes!!! and if you use satin or matte be ready to clean it by hand almost weekly
Old 03-17-15, 08:01 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Tmf when i mentioned doing sections you should use a tool similar to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/311263360395?lpid=82&chn=ps
it has helped me so much and i think its great you can do as big or small of sections you like without worrying about cutting vinyl
Old 03-17-15, 03:17 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice going so far on the wrap, not taking the car all apart to do it ?
Old 03-17-15, 06:40 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good tutorial:

Work away from problem areas!

I take back what I said about stretching and water. It looks easier and better to just heat and lay. Don't stretch too much. I'm going to try this on the rest of the car which I didn't have a chance to work on today.
Old 03-17-15, 07:05 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Dang I've been pampering my wrap hahaha good to know I had 3M carbon on my hood and one hot summer day I used a car wash and it wrinkled an edge by my headlight and I've been skittish since 😧

GS-f I don't know you can use water pretty cool though! And has anyone ever taken apart the door handle? Not taken of the door. The recess is real deep and a PITA to wrap chrome haha
Old 03-17-15, 11:10 PM
David2gs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3KID
Dang I've been pampering my wrap hahaha good to know I had 3M carbon on my hood and one hot summer day I used a car wash and it wrinkled an edge by my headlight and I've been skittish since 😧

GS-f I don't know you can use water pretty cool though! And has anyone ever taken apart the door handle? Not taken of the door. The recess is real deep and a PITA to wrap chrome haha
That sucks man... Post a pic of your door handles... If i cut the vinyl along the edges and DONT wrap/curl it under the panel (ie. Mirrors) i use a special adhesive i apply to the car... Comes in the size of half a pencil... You snap it in the middle like a glow stick and the liquid glue comes off... Great stuff. Its that 3M 94 adhesive but in better and easier form.
Old 03-18-15, 05:51 AM
GS3KID
Driver

I would use an adhesive promoter but I don't want to commit to chrome plus I don't think my pain would handle it well, that's why I wanted to just wrap them haha but you gave me an idea of I just do an in-lay inside the handle and join it with knifeless tape it should look like one piece!
Old 03-18-15, 10:17 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

i believe chemical guys makes a "matte" wrap cleaner.....
Old 03-19-15, 09:22 PM
David2gs
Rookie

update on my roof wrap... i haven't had time and when i do have time the weather here is ridiculous. rainy and humid so I'm not installing yet... but i will asap.
Old 03-21-15, 12:05 PM
Fromthesha
Rookie

Originally Posted by Category5
if you want your car to look anything like a quality paint job, by all means a quality vinyl wrap will be the closest youll get to it. Ive plastied everything you can think of, love the stuff.... but by all means I need a new roof as well, I would wrap it ANY DAY before dipping it if I wanted it to not look ghetto... my opinion thats all...
I've used plastidip a lot. It depends on how you apply it and the finish you are looking for. If you are looking for a matte or pearl finish, I think plastidip is awesome. However, if you are looking for shine or gloss, I think you are right, nothing beats vinyl. I mean, you can get vinyl with a chrome finish. You can't even do that with paint...
Old 03-26-15, 12:16 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's what I have so far. Sorry I haven't finished faster guys. Going through a breakup and haven't really been in the mood. If all goes well I should be done by this weekend. I plan on going back and eventually redoing some areas that I do not like how have come out.

Old 03-26-15, 03:28 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by GS-F
Here's what I have so far. Sorry I haven't finished faster guys. Going through a breakup and haven't really been in the mood. If all goes well I should be done by this weekend. I plan on going back and eventually redoing some areas that I do not like how have come out.

It's looking amazing! how hard were the side mirror arms??
the bumper looks odd to me without the trim haha I'm not used to it

and also do you know how much Sqft you used for the whole car?
Old 03-26-15, 03:42 PM
David2gs
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS-F

Thats amazing work bro... Good job for a begginer... I wanted to tell you... The problem areas... Allow them to "cook" in the sun if the glue is bunched up or there are lines under the vinyl... Over time the glue finally settles. IF you had that problem. Js
Old 03-26-15, 04:02 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

looking good...

Quick Reply: New paint job or vinyl wrap?