GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

car trouble! 2000 GS300 a bunch of weird things

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 01:09 AM
dylanthedu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question car trouble! 2000 GS300 a bunch of weird things

so i have a 2000 gs300 that i just got from my sister for the cheap and its overall in great condition (doenst look like its been dogged) i know she drove it soft because thats how she drives cars and me as well, no cracks in leather or anything and im really happy with it but it is having a bunch of weird problems. my transmission is slipping from first to second then a late shift from 2nd to third but ive had a mechanic service the trans and said nothing was wrong with it. i also had him put a new radiator on along with new timing belt(i think it was timing belt) along with the weird trans slip just recently it started to make a weird whining noise after driving a few miles it doesnt seem to get louder with acceleration. the noise is coming from front of the engine possibly the fans on radiator even.. the noise is not a repetitive noise more of a steady tone,whine,hum if that makes sense also my alternator is fairly new (few months) and the noise is unaffected when making turns. i read in the forums here that the capacitors could go bad on the ecu causing all sorts of weird problems from trans to weird dash lights that come on. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html

do you think that could be the cause for trans? im betting the whine is unrelated to the ecu even though the certain noise it is making after driving for a few minutes does have me stumped.. also, i have a check engine light and had a strange vsc and vsc/off light that were on but i reset the computer(pulled negative terminal overnight) and that took the vsc lights off but not the check engine also, after resetting computer is when the whining noise showed up but that may just be coincidence. i bought a soldering pencil to replace capacitors just need to know what to get for my car and if its even worth it according to the symptoms of my car. one more thing, when i left work tonight after driving for a few minutes i noticed a very very feint smell of sulfur (which was mentioned in symptoms of bad ecu caps) but im not sure if that was just me possibly smelling something that came through the vents from outside.. also i accidentally put regular gas rather than premium this last tank but that probably isnt the cause... and the very last thing i have a very slow oil leak that apparently you have to pull engine to get to and doesnt HAVE to be changed as long as youre okay with adding oil once every two months or so which i am (repair quote was in the thousands to fix it or leak a tiny bit)

im a DIY type person just need a little direction! thank you community and sorry if i posted this in the wrong section i am a noob here.
Old 03-09-15, 01:44 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the codes checked. Post the codes on here. Make use of the OBDII feature of your car. And by oil leak I am assuming rear main seal or something?
Old 03-09-15, 03:08 AM
dylanthedu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
Get the codes checked. Post the codes on here. Make use of the OBDII feature of your car. And by oil leak I am assuming rear main seal or something?
I'm in process of ordering bluetooth obd2 tool now and yes I think it is rear main seal. Is it bad to put that off?
Old 03-09-15, 07:55 PM
dylanthedu
Driver School Candidate

o2 sensor is what came up. also the whine ive heard happened again today after driving for a few hours. the noise is single tone and does not change in loudness ever the noise does go away when ac is off...
Old 03-10-15, 03:26 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dylanthedu
o2 sensor is what came up. also the whine ive heard happened again today after driving for a few hours. the noise is single tone and does not change in loudness ever the noise does go away when ac is off...
so the noise is only on when the A/C is on? and 02 sensor I take it is p0420, p0430? any other codes?
Originally Posted by dylanthedu
I'm in process of ordering bluetooth obd2 tool now and yes I think it is rear main seal. Is it bad to put that off?
depending how bad the rear main seal lieak is it may have something to do with your slipping transmission problem, What im telling you is just something im familiar with happens. This is on a manual transmission though, rear main seal leaks, oil slips back onto the clutch plate and causes slips. Now im not too familiar with how automatic transmissions work but the concept could be the same, as the oil is causing the torque converter to slip. etc... don't take my work for it though. Im not saying its this just my 2 cents.

take the car to an Oreilly autoparts if they have those there., get the ABS/Transmission codes checked, not just the DTC engine codes. Any shop that has a reputable scanner should be able to do it.
Old 03-10-15, 06:55 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I know you said you had the transmission services, but I've heard people in the RX section descirbe the same noise being due to a clogged transmission filter, which may also have something to do with the shifting problem. From what I understand from on here, these transmissions are fairly strong, so the likely hood of it failing isn't that high.
Old 03-10-15, 08:12 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Torque converters are full of transmission fluid. They use a single clutch for lockup and many rows of vanes to create hydraulic thrust.

First, the link you posed is for an LS, not a GS. Yes the older LS had problems with leaky capacitors but on a GS its not very common.

Before you throw any money at this thing, make sure your charging system is up to snuff. 13.2v minimum at the battery with every thing on and idling. These cars will have all sorts of "ghost" problems when its as simple as a weak alternator or battery. Even new parts fail or do not perform like they are supposed to so the only way to know is to check the voltage.

Run a full tank of premium though the car before you try to diagnose any type of evap or emissions codes as well. These cars...especially after they get some miles on them....DO NOT LIKE CRAP FUEL. Just my .02c
Old 03-10-15, 11:15 PM
dylanthedu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
so the noise is only on when the A/C is on? and 02 sensor I take it is p0420, p0430? any other codes?

depending how bad the rear main seal lieak is it may have something to do with your slipping transmission problem, What im telling you is just something im familiar with happens. This is on a manual transmission though, rear main seal leaks, oil slips back onto the clutch plate and causes slips. Now im not too familiar with how automatic transmissions work but the concept could be the same, as the oil is causing the torque converter to slip. etc... don't take my work for it though. Im not saying its this just my 2 cents.

take the car to an Oreilly autoparts if they have those there., get the ABS/Transmission codes checked, not just the DTC engine codes. Any shop that has a reputable scanner should be able to do it.
yes thats the only code and its not rear main seal its an oil pump thats leaking

but i will get abs codes checked thanks
Old 03-11-15, 11:16 AM
dylanthedu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KeyKeeper
Torque converters are full of transmission fluid. They use a single clutch for lockup and many rows of vanes to create hydraulic thrust.

First, the link you posed is for an LS, not a GS. Yes the older LS had problems with leaky capacitors but on a GS its not very common.

Before you throw any money at this thing, make sure your charging system is up to snuff. 13.2v minimum at the battery with every thing on and idling. These cars will have all sorts of "ghost" problems when its as simple as a weak alternator or battery. Even new parts fail or do not perform like they are supposed to so the only way to know is to check the voltage.

Run a full tank of premium though the car before you try to diagnose any type of evap or emissions codes as well. These cars...especially after they get some miles on them....DO NOT LIKE CRAP FUEL. Just my .02c
I found out what was making the noise under hood. It's the condenser fan on the radiator. Ordered new assembly. Can anyone list what ecu caps I need please!?