GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Time to Trade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 08:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Time to Trade?

So I have been throwing around the idea of trading my car for a while, but it's just one thing after another. It's a 2002 SD GS300 silver on black with 110k miles, full service history since new. I've replaced all door lock actuators, front struts, all control arms, ball joints, steering rack bushings, sway bar endlinks and bushings, the carrier bearing, the brakes, rotors, 2 O2 sensors, timing belt/wp service, sparkplugs, the two motor mounts and the transmission mount and the radio.

Over the past few weeks I've discovered my inner and outer tie rods need to be replaced, my valve cover gaskets are leaking, my exhaust has a strange rattle inside it, there's a clunking from my front suspension.....****ing again, there's a rattle I can't get rid off at idle, also driving me insane, my headlights have condensation, my front bumper needs to be replaced, and my rear struts are leaking. Theres play in the front wheel that's leading me to think I'll need a wheel bearing soon as well. Should I just dump this thing? If I wanted a money pit, I would have bought the SL500 I was looking at in the first place, but based on my great experience with me ES300 I got another Lexus. In the 6 years and 130k miles, I spent less in repairs than on my GS for 2.5 years and 50k miles

Last edited by RXGS; 03-05-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 05:08 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Unfortunately given the age of the car and climate changes these cars will need parts replaced over time.. bushings where out, gaskets leak, strange noises, and headlight condensation is just wear and tear on the vehicle.. Its not that there is something wrong with the car is just parts wear out and thats how it goes... I'm replacing suspension pieces as well little by little and 12, 14,16 year old parts wear out and its time for them to be replaced. I had a 97ES300 and drove that for many years with no issues just maintenance work...

If your done dumping money into it then maybe trading it is the best option...
Old 03-06-15, 06:18 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade her in, thats what I'm looking to do within the year. I have 95k on my 98 gs4 and only had to do the ball joints and tie rods.

I could write a long list as what it needs but I'm going to let someone else deal with it.
Old 03-06-15, 08:01 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

You'll decide to keep it when you find out what dealers give you as a trade. Hope you would be trading for something newer with a warranty.
You did the timing belt service so you are good for another 100K. The transmission won't fail.
All the other stuff you are complaining about is normal wear and tear maintenance. Tierods and shocks will fix your suspension problems and possible rattle noise. Your heat shield near the exhaust may be loose causing the noise (common problem). These are all minor issues. Spread the cost to fix and gradually fix them.

Oh yeah the SL500, you want to talk about money pit? Go over the the Benz forum and find out what those owners are dealing with. I had a 2004 E500 for 4 months and jumped ship before any problems occurred. It share some of the same components as the SL500.
Finding out that my airshock were on average $600 a piece and to change the rear air shock/bags required dropping the gas tank and pretty much lifiting the car off the frame. Then the SBC braking system which cost over $2K to fix if you are out of the Benz 10yr warranty for them. A 7 speed transmission that is not as bulletproof as Lexus. The list goes on. The E500 still give me anxiety till this day!!! Very happy with my 2005 Gs430!!

Last edited by JLAWS; 03-06-15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 10:36 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how you feel, honestly I've been thinking about the same thing. But I try to look at it this way... I can spend another few grand fixing up my car, or I can loose all the money I put into it and buy a new car, pay more for everything(except probably gas), and new cars will depreciate in value much quicker.

In the end, a new car will cost more, and not nearly be as enjoyable to drive. If you like your gs, keep it. You've already replaced most parts that go bad with time, so figure that you have another 10 years worth of driving before having to dump a bunch of money into it. Seals go bad, but these engines and transmissions are meant to last a long, long time.
Old 03-06-15, 06:31 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes all the problems you have are wear and tear. if these problems are driving you crazy.. well then, you will end up in a mental home trying to find out why your next car has left you stranded on the side of the road. Stupid stuff will break like radiator fans ect, and you will wish you still had your gs, trust me i have had three gs's and i have always came back for the reliability. Even tho the car gives me problems... Its never left me stranded,(other then a dead battery). My radiator blew up on me one time and like an idiot i drove it home and back to the shop the next day.. It didnt even overheat and no damage was done.. My chrysler and silverado on the other hand....

I can vouch for benz as they are rock solid especially the early 2000s e class,
Also i dont want you to leave. U give good advice
Old 03-07-15, 05:44 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is your car lowered? Seems like your wear is premature

If you lower your car or put those donk rims don't expect the added stress not to wear out components
Old 03-07-15, 12:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Not lowered, not on "donk wheels". Stock suspension, 16s in the winter, 18 G-Spyders in the summer. I have no problem replacing things, but 110k miles just seems a bit early to me to have to replace the entire, front suspension. That being said I do realize the car is 13 years old. I'll just bite the bullet fix it and hope to God this thing won't explode within the next 3 years.

Last edited by RXGS; 03-07-15 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 02:31 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Not lowered, not on "donk wheels". Stock suspension, 16s in the winter, 18 G-Spyders in the summer. I have no problem replacing things, but 110k miles just seems a bit early to me to have to replace the entire, front suspension. That being said I do realize the car is 13 years old. I'll just bite the bullet fix it and hope to God this thing won't explode within the next 3 years.
well maybe it is just age related but I have 208 K miles on mine and it has had less problems. Mine is a 98
Old 03-07-15, 04:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

For just one wheel bearing, and the inner and out tie rods, I'm looking at $700. I feel like that's too much. With my luck, one i replace all this stuff, the engine is going to take a dump on me.
Old 03-07-15, 04:34 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

For just one wheel bearing, and the inner and out tie rods, I'm looking at $700. I feel like that's too much. With my luck, one i replace all this stuff, the engine is going to take a dump on me.
yea I got a quote for valve covers a few days ago from two Lexus dealers . one was $600 and the other was $780. so went ahead and bought the gasket kit with spark plug seals and will most likely donut myself. but I did find the small leak and a loose bolt from the leak area so maybe I fixed it temporarily lol. all the quotes are basically labor. it's frustrating
Old 03-07-15, 04:48 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Ya that quote didn't include the valve cover gaskets, just the tie rods and wheel bearing. The valve cover gaskets would be $475 at my dealer. So everything all together, including the muffler issue it would probably be around $2k in repairs.
Old 03-07-15, 04:52 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

there's some great DIYs on the whee bearings, valve cover gaskets and tie rods. YouTube has great videos on the tie rods. I plan on doing the caster arms this week if wife allows lol
Old 03-07-15, 05:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

The valve cover gaskets I'll probably just tackle myself, everything else I'll just find a shop. I know it's to be expected, but it just seems that every single piece of my front suspension is toast after 110k miles. My ES300 the only thing I had to replace were the struts and the tie rods at 210k miles. The carrier bearing i replaced last week as $600. I just hate how it's one thing after another. I can't get 2 solid months out of this car it seems ha.
Old 03-07-15, 06:13 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

The valve cover gaskets I'll probably just tackle myself, everything else I'll just find a shop. I know it's to be expected, but it just seems that every single piece of my front suspension is toast after 110k miles. My ES300 the only thing I had to replace were the struts and the tie rods at 210k miles. The carrier bearing i replaced last week as $600. I just hate how it's one thing after another. I can't get 2 solid months out of this car it seems ha.
unfortunately stuff happens and that's the way it goes. I would say that at 110k miles suspension pieces and other things are worn out. It's great that we have the option to replace bushings with poly bushings thanks to FIGS.

Quick Reply: Time to Trade?