Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Snow Driving

Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #1
SK430
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Snow Driving

Hey all - So I have been driving in the snow for my first time a few weeks now due to the freak snow here. I find that the "SNOW" mode helps greatly to keep car from sliding around especially with no snow tires. However today I got stuck for the first time in snow and had a hell of a time getting out - a lot of digging out snow and experimenting. I'm wondering would pressing the "VSC OFF" button help when driving out of a snow pile? Also "SNOW" mode helped me get out of the parking spot I got stuck in.

Another weird thing happening is my brakes have failed to stop my car a few times now when driving in snow or slush - I luckily have not been in any accidents yet but is this just due to buildup of snow on tires while driving? I've literally had situations where I can pump the brake lever all the way down and the car is still sliding forward. I started to just drive a lot slower and braking earlier but sometimes other drivers will cut me off causing me to have to brake hard - just today it happened and I almost slid into the cars bumper because the brakes just didnt work and started just vibrating loudly as if there was something stuck there (assumming slush) while the car slid forward.

Also would like to know how I can actually down shift to gear 1 or 2 from D, whether or not snow mode is on.

Would love some insight on this and/or tips. thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
SK430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #2
SpectraBlu
Driver School Candidate

Hey man, these cars suck in the snow. I would recommend snow tires and maybe adding some weight in the trunk over the rear axle. The situation with your brakes is your abs kicking in, and it won't really help without better tires. I wouldn't drive around in the snow with your vsc off if your just learning how to drive on snowy roads. Just drive slower and take it easy so u don't f up your car, or someone else's.
SpectraBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10 AM   #3
JLAWS
Lead Lap

Buy a fwd or 4wd winter beater . I have a 94 Camry I bought 5 years ago and it is superb in the snow.! I've driven in every snowstorm this year during this historic snowfall season in the Northeast. Best $650 I have ever spent! My GS430 is stored till spring. Not the greatest in the snow.

It that is not possible then buy a set of snow tires and rims. Usually online tire sites sell the whole set.
JLAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10 AM