GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gs400 engine knocking

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 08:24 AM
castolano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gs400 engine knocking

I recently got stuck on a hill in a really bad snow storm peeling out pretty bad once I noticed the car was over heating past H it was too late. The radiator was smoking all threw the vents and from under the hood. I opened the hood to see a bunch of antifreeze had bust the radiator was smoking thick white smoke. I let the car cool off then I attempted to drive off as I drove off I heard a really loud rattle then all the dash lights came on and the car shut off I cut if back on it drove about a block then all the dash lights came on and it shut off again. Now prior to the storm the check engine light and vsc on and off was on
Old 02-25-15, 12:21 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Whoa!! If a car overheats to the point where it shuts off then there is a problem. First thing I would do is put coolant back in the car and check to see if there are any leaks. Then check the oil and hopefully there is not coolant in with the oil. Try to start the car and see how it goes. Also connect a scan tool to check those codes. Good luck!!!
Old 02-25-15, 12:32 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so it shut off and you just started it back up several times? why?
Old 02-25-15, 12:32 PM
castolano
Driver School Candidate

It won't turn over at all
Old 02-25-15, 12:34 PM
castolano
Driver School Candidate

Im a ****in idiot it was a blizzard so I was tryn get back home I let it cool dwn for a while before I drove back off but I heard the rattling then all the dash lights came on and she shut off
Old 02-25-15, 01:05 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Just drive it to the Junk yard and drop it off or look on Ebay for a replacement engine. Sounds like you bent a rod or may have blow a head gasket. Never a good thing to spin your wheel till the point where the car overheats.
Old 02-25-15, 02:37 PM
castolano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Just drive it to the Junk yard and drop it off or look on Ebay for a replacement engine. Sounds like you bent a rod or may have blow a head gasket. Never a good thing to spin your wheel till the point where the car overheats.
Just looking for some insight the mechanic has the vehicle now im just waiting on him to give me the diagnosis
Old 02-25-15, 05:53 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately the news is not gonna be good, unless the engine shut down soon enough to avoid major damage. Minimum is a cylinder head rebuild. Maximum is... well, another motor.

Either way, I would be surprised if the tab comes under $2500 - $3500. I guess you learned an expensive lesson. These motors love to rev and are super smooth so you have to drive them by the numbers.

If it helps, I never ever rock my car back and forth or rev the daylights out of it. You risk engine and transmission damage for a car that's not really getting any cooling.

Last edited by MattyG; 02-25-15 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 06:37 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Yeah, about 15+ years ago I owed a GMC Typhoon and I gunned it on some black ice. When it caught traction it started knocking. I ended up bending a rod and needing to rebuild the engine.

I hope for you that you are just low on oil after overheating the engine. Have your mechanic change the oil and filter. The V8s can make a knocking sound when low on oil. That would be the cheapest thing to do in the time being
Old 02-25-15, 07:02 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles r on Ur engine
Old 02-25-15, 08:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

castolano... how the heck did you manage to spin your wheels and overheat. Did you disengage the traction control system on this car? Because the car's traction control limits what happens at the rear wheels... and what the engine/transmission do in response.
Old 02-25-15, 09:33 PM
Fromthesha
Rookie

Yeah this is strange. If vsc was on then it wouldn't let you spin. If off, sounds like there might have been a coolant leak already...
Old 02-26-15, 08:01 AM
castolano
Driver School Candidate

coo I'll keep you posted thx
Old 02-26-15, 08:11 AM
castolano
Driver School Candidate

Yup that's exactly what happened but the radiator was smoking and there was antifreeze everywhere thx
Old 02-26-15, 08:12 AM
castolano
Driver School Candidate

LOL I took a wrong turn and ended up on this really icy hill with a bunch of cars pilled behind me

Quick Reply: gs400 engine knocking