GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Forgestar F14s: I want some feedback from the club!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 08:03 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I like Yakuza's idea of the tinted brushed finish - that finish is proving very popular lately.

But it won't look like the wheel in the pic if you sandblast them - sandblasting will basically make them look bright silver/almost white and if you use a candy powder over them it will still have a textured or rough look to them. The finish in that pic is brushed first and then shot with a tinted clear. By the time you cold strip the wheels (DO NOT HAVE THEM HOT STRIPPED), have them brushed, and then powdercoated, it gets pretty expensive - just a heads-up! Be prepared to spend ~ $150/wheel as a starting point.

I am anti-chrome and anti-all-black wheels. Both have been done to death! Us west coast guys don't do chrome, and you can see black wheels on every set of stock Prius and Range Rover wheels out here. It's 2006 all over again!
Old 03-04-15, 07:21 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
Personally I hate chrome, but whatever floats your boat I guess. I would sand blast the whole wheel (it should look fully machined) then gloss smoked clear coat it. It should end up like this

Those look awesome. I appreciate the input YaKuZa.

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I like Yakuza's idea of the tinted brushed finish - that finish is proving very popular lately.

But it won't look like the wheel in the pic if you sandblast them - sandblasting will basically make them look bright silver/almost white and if you use a candy powder over them it will still have a textured or rough look to them. The finish in that pic is brushed first and then shot with a tinted clear. By the time you cold strip the wheels (DO NOT HAVE THEM HOT STRIPPED), have them brushed, and then powdercoated, it gets pretty expensive - just a heads-up! Be prepared to spend ~ $150/wheel as a starting point.

I am anti-chrome and anti-all-black wheels. Both have been done to death! Us west coast guys don't do chrome, and you can see black wheels on every set of stock Prius and Range Rover wheels out here. It's 2006 all over again!
I am a West Coast guy! I grew up in Fullerton, moved out to Phoenix for college and I'm still here. Seriously considering moving back tho, nothing like Southern California.

I just heard back from my body shop guy, he quoted me $1,500 to have them cold stripped and clear coated. That would set me back $2,500 total for the rims. That seems a little steep for me, but what do you guys think?
Old 03-04-15, 09:47 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems high, I had chrome wheels chemically stripped and powder coated for under $300 here in SoCal...a brushed finish then clear coat is gonna cost more than a powder coat, but that quote seems high
Old 03-05-15, 06:05 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson09
Seems high, I had chrome wheels chemically stripped and powder coated for under $300 here in SoCal...a brushed finish then clear coat is gonna cost more than a powder coat, but that quote seems high
that's cheap. it's about $75 to $150 a wheel to powdercoat from shops are here.
Old 03-25-15, 07:00 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson09
Is it possible to powder coat them a similar color to what Yakuza posted?
Old 03-26-15, 08:34 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
that's cheap. it's about $75 to $150 a wheel to powdercoat from shops are here.
NuTec Powder Coating in Anaheim.

Originally Posted by BigGeigs
Is it possible to powder coat them a similar color to what Yakuza posted?
Similar COLOR yes, finish though wouldn't have the depth or abrasion to it like brushed aluminum has. They have color chips as far as the eye can see in regards to powder coat. They'll do other finishes too like brushed, machined, chrome plating, anodizing. All those special finishes or finishes besides powder coat are sent out to people who specifically do only that like a machinist for instance.
Old 03-26-15, 08:55 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd go the machined route as well.