GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Computer sub-assy, shift lock control 85903-30020 replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 01:53 PM
takashi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Computer sub-assy, shift lock control 85903-30020 replacement

So, my car suddenly would not disengage from park, or go into reverse from drive without pressing the shift lock release button.

I have changed the brake sensor and checked all the fuses and the brake lights do work.
I searched around without any luck to the solution, so I decided to try changing the Computer Sub-Assy, Shift Lock Control part number 85903-30020

Looks like this, it looked to be held by 2 screws and 1 harness and by the linkage

Hesitant in changing this out since I had no previous experience, and my mechanical skill is average with just light tune ups, brake jobs, and suspension knowledge.

First start by removing the ashtray, simply pull towards you and disconnect the harness for the light and lighter
Then, remove the shifter bezel by pulling up from the back side as pictured and disconnecting the 3 harnesses for the PWR/ECT/SNOW, Heat Seats, and VSC OFF buttons (your car maybe less if non heated seats

You are now exposed to this, accessible are 2 bolts for the shifter assy, and harness for the culprit shift lock control assy and 1 screw for it

Now remove the top portion of the shifter assy held by just 4 tabs in each corner

At this point, I went ahead and removed the harness from the control assy, and the 2 exposed bolts for the shifter assy, but it did not budge

So, decided to go further by removing the 2 nuts on the left side to take apart the shifter assy further

Pull out the pin, becareful not to lose the shift release button lever

Shifter assy further exposed, but found out the other screw that is holding the control assy is screwed in from the bottom, meaning that I had to remove the whole shifter assy…
That means I need to get to the other bolts holding it

Pictured below is armrest already removed, but simply remove the bottom section first held by 2 bolts, and the power inlet, then the top portion of the arm rest is removable held by 2 other bolts.

Now pictured is the center console ready to be removed held by 2 screws up front, and 2 bolts in the middle

Pull it towards the back and it should pull off

then next you need to remove the rear AC duct held by 1 screw in the middle and 1 screw in the back

Now the other 2 bolts are exposed holding the shifter assy

The shifter assy is held by total of 4 bolts, the nut for the shifter linkage, along with the connector for the control assy, and harness for the shift indicator light, and harness the main harness is clipped on

removed

Bottom of the shifter assy where that 1 screw was…

Also held at the linkage with this black piece

Carefully remove and you can proceed with reverse of the order for installation

There maybe other order in removing this piece but this is how I attempted it, and without previous knowledge in how to and with intermediate mechanical knowledge, it took me approximately 3 hours

Portions that I was struggling was the shift linkage part, where it has minimal clearance for it to slide in and out

Upon replacing, you can see the shift lock button moving upon pressing the brakes
so if you can't put the car into gear or get out of park or into reverse from drive position, this is maybe another solution in fixing it if you have good brake sensor, fuses and lights are working

Hope it helps, and good luck!

Last edited by takashi; 02-19-15 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 07:54 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice, I need to do this.
I've had a wad of paper jambed in the shift lock release button for years, now I have your informative writeup.

thanks
Old 02-20-15, 08:06 AM
Kretek234
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up with clear picture, thank's , did you try already with the shifter? is everything work again?.
I still waiting for my parts, hopefully I can do it.
Old 02-20-15, 08:38 AM
Kretek234
Rookie

I forgot to ask you, did you have to put some fresh grease with the new installation? when I take out the cover on shift assy, I saw some grease ( yellowish) color by the shifter, if you do what kind of grease you use. Some people mention don't use petroleum base grease.
Old 02-20-15, 04:00 PM
takashi
Rookie

Originally Posted by FrankT
Nice, I need to do this.
I've had a wad of paper jambed in the shift lock release button for years, now I have your informative writeup.

thanks
yup, I came across your reply to one of the past threads,
and that's when I thought we needed a writeup lol

Originally Posted by Kretek234
Nice write up with clear picture, thank's , did you try already with the shifter? is everything work again?.
I still waiting for my parts, hopefully I can do it.
No problem my friend, it is working as it did from the factory now, all fixed! yeah!

I forgot to ask you, did you have to put some fresh grease with the new installation? when I take out the cover on shift assy, I saw some grease ( yellowish) color by the shifter, if you do what kind of grease you use. Some people mention don't use petroleum base grease.
I did not regrease anything, I guess it was left over grease from before,
keep us updated with your replacement if it fixes the problem
The following users liked this post:
Yacubsky (07-11-22)
Old 02-23-15, 11:08 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankT
Nice, I need to do this.

thanks

Lol...I did the exact same thing....
Old 02-26-15, 04:46 PM
Kretek234
Rookie

Old 02-26-15, 05:43 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good write up man, appreciate you putting it up!
Old 03-01-15, 02:44 PM
Kretek234
Rookie

Finaly, I'm finish replacing shift lock control. Now everything back to normal. I also replace the cover slide since mine broke off right in the middle.
Takashi, you're right, I was little struggling to take off the linkage, and the center console. It was good so we can clean all the dust under the AC duct too.

Old 03-01-15, 04:50 PM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you still have the old part, it would be nice if you could take it apart as far as you can get and take pictures of it, maybe there is an easy fix with a 3$ component possible.
Old 03-02-15, 01:35 PM
takashi
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
good write up man, appreciate you putting it up!
Is yours bad too? Hope it does help if you do decide to change it

Finaly, I'm finish replacing shift lock control. Now everything back to normal. I also replace the cover slide since mine broke off right in the middle.
Takashi, you're right, I was little struggling to take off the linkage, and the center console. It was good so we can clean all the dust under the AC duct too.
It's great to hear that you had the chance to replace the part, I told you about the linkage lol
and my slide cover also broke in half lol, but I just decided to delete it lol
Yes it is a good idea to clean the parts and area while you have room

Originally Posted by brainsurge
If you still have the old part, it would be nice if you could take it apart as far as you can get and take pictures of it, maybe there is an easy fix with a 3$ component possible.
I think I do have the old part, I may look into dismantling it to see what's going on in side
Old 06-25-16, 05:35 PM
prvtjet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great write-up!!!!!

I want to thank Takashi and Kretek for their great write-ups. This really saved my ***. Having disassembled the shifter subassembly twice, I was able to quickly pull it out. The trick was installing the new computer subassembly. It has a long black finger with a loop that must catch on a horizontal post in the shifter. That took a while. Thanks again for the help, I saved some serious $$$$$$$.
Old 10-27-17, 09:37 PM
apiryan
Driver School Candidate

Default Having same issue with different out come , pls. read my thread

Takashi, hope you and others can shed some light here.

Pasting from my New Thread.

99 GS300.

I left it sitting for 5 months and went overseas. After returning I found dead battery, charged it, but couldn't get the car out of Park or into R unless using manual shift lock button. Pain in the ***, obviously.
So I checked all the fuses in the the foot-well and next to battery-all are fine.

Today, went to a junk yard and got the entire shift assembly with shift ECU included, (it looks like silver radiator with white connector), took the ECU unit out of junkyard's shift assembly and swapped it into my assembly. I didn't see why I should swap the entire assemblies in one peace as everything inside beside the ECU unit is purely mechanical parts- plastic and springs.

So after the swap things got even worse: The car doesn't switch to D and L but switches into all other gears, but D and L are just bypassed. Car drives in 4th now.

And I can't take the key out of the ignition. I need to disconnect the battery to do that.

So where did I screw up? By not disconnecting the battery prior starting the removal of the original assembly?

Or the junkyard's ECU needs to be reprogrammed after being swapped into my assembly?

Please help! Thank you all in advance.
Old 10-30-17, 09:09 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

You've posted the same question in 3 different threads. The shift lock control ecu does not require reset. it's plug and play. The junkyard part may be defect, or you did not install the part correctly.
Old 10-31-17, 06:22 PM
apiryan
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for overposting, I've been pretty frustrated with all the labor I put in taking apart/putting back together both ECU's and no mechanic around here knows whats up with it. Taking it to the dealer for a scan tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Computer sub-assy, shift lock control 85903-30020 replacement