GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Would you trade your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 10:42 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Would you trade your GS?

I have a interesting situation that has come up. My future brother in-law basically picked up a 1997 LS400 197,000km's with a black interior. We spent some time looking for cars and he settled on this one. Took it for a test drive, was told many times are you sure. Even though he wasn't used to a larger car and wanted something a bit sportier than he had. Took it home and he decided 2 days later that it wasn't right for him.

Because he doesn't have a lot of cash flow. He feels really embarrassed as the whole family basically did this to him. I feel for him and would consider helping him out by trading vehicles. We'd trade cars for $1.00 on the books. I'd get some form of kickback which I won't disclose, but is worth it and enough to get the car in tip top form from a mechanical stand point. I'd keep my wheels and my stereo system to put into the LS.

I have a PPI that'll be done next week, and before this I'll lend him mine so he can make sure he wants it. I'll take his of course. I've put a lot of heart and soul into my GS and get a lot compliments. I am interested in the project, but I just don't know anymore as I've over analyzed the pros and cons. I am sure this will change once the PPI happens.

What are your thoughts?

Here's mine

service history since 2001 to present.

Here is what the project car looks like currently.

Needs all mechanical parts replaced

Brakes
suspension
Timing belt
fluids
plugs
etc

before I can start modding the car.

Old 02-19-15, 02:02 AM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe if it were a 98-00 ls
Old 02-19-15, 06:29 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J$mooth23
maybe if it were a 98-00 ls
This. MAYBE.
Old 02-19-15, 06:57 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nah. Simply nah.
Old 02-19-15, 08:02 AM
Measured
Advanced

Are these answers due to it being an older car that needs work? Because I don't mind a project and I won't be out of pocket for the work needs to be done. I honestly considered a LS before my GS and was going to replace my GS down the line with a 06+ anyways.

Here is my buddies LS that is a 95 with little work done to it. If you guys could be more specific as to why you would say no. That would give me a better idea.

Thanks,

link
Old 02-19-15, 08:33 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

The only old LS that I would trade for is the 04-06 LS430. Anything below those years looks dated. The 98-05 GS has aged gracefully over the years.
Old 02-19-15, 08:37 AM
royalspade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't do it myself, but yeah maybe for a 98-00 model with the right color combo.
Old 02-19-15, 08:58 AM
Measured
Advanced

I get what you guys are saying. It seems to be more of matter of personal taste and opinion regarding this matter. I am sure if it was blk on blk it would be a different story. I've always loved the body style as I like boxy looking cars.

Please keep the opinions coming as I just want to know what everyone's perception is on the matter.

Thanks,

Mo
Old 02-19-15, 09:46 AM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldn't do it but hey that's a project you want to tackle
Old 02-19-15, 10:12 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't imagine what this "kickback" could be that would make that trade anything close to a good deal for you. A beige LS400 that needs EVERYTHING replaced just to be a decent daily is certainly not a good trade for a gorgeous, well maintained GS300.

Unless your brother is your twin and he's volunteering to take your place in an impending 1-year prison sentence or letting you sleep with his supermodel wife for a month, I'd say keep the GS.

EDIT: And after re-reading... It's your brother in law, so my twin theory is out. Keep the GS.
Old 02-19-15, 11:46 AM
Measured
Advanced

I love the input. I'l be honest I wasn't to keen on the color, it is a metallic "Crystal Quartz Metallic" so it is almost grayish/silver in sunlight. I'll take some photos this Saturday and show them.

I know I'll lose out on some features, but not a lot. I am not at all trying to convince myself with this. I just want some opinions regarding this matter. Even some of my friends see this as a short term thing.

Mods I would do

- HID's
- Air ride
- BC coils
- RCA's
- Update stereo

Why I am considering it.

- V8 power
- Possible supercharging down the road
- V8 sound over I6 as I won't do a GTE swap I realized
- Not going to be my last car

Regarding any of the mechanical upkeep needed. Again, I won't be out of pocket for any of this. I just see what the vision could be for the car and I agree maybe the color isn't ideal, but it isn't too bad.

Old 02-19-15, 12:56 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I would not. In my opinion the 2GS's styling is timeless and sporty whereas the 2nd gen LS's looks dated. That color, a dark Toyota beige , does not help either.

I think I would offer to help him make it into something he likes. It would be like having and working on a project car that someone else gets to pay for.
Old 02-19-15, 12:57 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
I would not. In my opinion the 2GS's styling is timeless and sporty whereas the 2nd gen LS's looks dated. That color, a dark Toyota beige , does not help either.

I think I would offer to help him make it into something he likes. It would be like having and working on a project car that someone else gets to pay for.
Pretty much my opinion too.
Old 02-19-15, 01:57 PM
Measured
Advanced

Originally Posted by mveale
I can't imagine what this "kickback" could be that would make that trade anything close to a good deal for you. A beige LS400 that needs EVERYTHING replaced just to be a decent daily is certainly not a good trade for a gorgeous, well maintained GS300.

Unless your brother is your twin and he's volunteering to take your place in an impending 1-year prison sentence or letting you sleep with his supermodel wife for a month, I'd say keep the GS.

EDIT: And after re-reading... It's your brother in law, so my twin theory is out. Keep the GS.
To be fair. I replaced all hardware on my GS300 as a safety mechanical measure and it had a clean PPI. It was a old car as well. Color is the only thing that is holding me back and if I want a older style car. This is also what everyone is saying as well.

- Ball joints
- Tie rods
- Suspension (all cars need this)
- fluids

that's a given with any new used car you purchase. I don't see that as a negative, but more of a requirement.
Old 02-19-15, 02:06 PM
Measured
Advanced

The original thought process was to help him modify it as a family car. I don' t have a family and I've owned my fair share of cars, that regardless if I were to do this or not. It doesn't matter to me. I change my cars up on a regular basis and enjoy building them. That said y'all's input is not falling on deft ears

Last edited by Measured; 02-19-15 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you trade your GS?