GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Would you trade your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 03:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oooh, that is quite a conundrum you've got yourself there. I actually have a bit of a soft spot for those older LS400's. You would be gaining ultra smooth ride and V8 power.

I kinda like the blocky sustantive look of those 400's. I think they have aged quite well. The LS430... meh. It's side profile and taillights were copied straight out of the MB E class and S class stylebook. Not very original.

The GS? Well the front is still reasonably trendy looking but I think the Japanese designers got lost on their way to the trunk and it has been criticized for having hodge-podge styling. I find the back end too "heavy".

The only thing for me would be that the LS430 was a much improved car over the LS400 and some have suggested you get one of those instead.

But if you are getting the LS on really, really good terms you should go for it. Just my lone dissenting .02 cents.
Old 02-19-15, 03:12 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL @ these replies..... (edit: except this guy ^^^^^ who posted moments before i did)

So this is pretty much what I would expect from asking a group of enthusiasts of a specific make&model a question like this. Inevitably the answer to a question where the trade option is anything other than a massive upgrade, the answer will always be no.... unless it's a barn-find on a cult-classic.

everyone in here bought the GS because it somehow resonated with them in a way that other cars did now... much like how some guys like fat chicks, or skinny *****es, or girls of another ethnicity.... it's all a matter of preference and opinion.

I would wager that most of the commenters in here have probably never really compared an 2LS to a 2GS side by side, and the majority of posters probably all driver later-model 2GS's so going to a 97 from a 02-05 is a MASSIVE perceptual step backwards.

Last edited by Shmee; 02-19-15 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 03:38 PM
takashi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do a straight trade, that model year LS goes around here for like $3k and GS's substantially a little more

I'd swap if he's willing to put like $2k to $3k on top lol

Or simply sell your car and go buy a GS400 or GS430
Old 02-19-15, 03:51 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

To be fair you've already made your mind up? If your heart is set on the LS then go for it.

I looked into both as the LS is real cheap here compared to the GS, but it's just too big and a bit square. As I seconded someone earlier, I'd keep the project you've put time and effort into. Judging by your replies though that LS has you
Old 02-19-15, 04:43 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by takashi
I wouldn't do a straight trade, that model year LS goes around here for like $3k and GS's substantially a little more

I'd swap if he's willing to put like $2k to $3k on top lol

Or simply sell your car and go buy a GS400 or GS430

I am getting more than double that amount to put towards the car. Let me put it this way. It is like me selling my car for 11k and using that money to mod a car and get it up to standards.
Old 02-19-15, 04:49 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
LOL @ these replies..... (edit: except this guy ^^^^^ who posted moments before i did)

I would wager that most of the commenters in here have probably never really compared an 2LS to a 2GS side by side, and the majority of posters probably all driver later-model 2GS's so going to a 97 from a 02-05 is a MASSIVE perceptual step backwards.
Yes I think this forum does see a lot of hyper-partisan loyalty like other luxury brands.

But believe it or not I actually did test a 94 LS400 and loved it but the guy hadn't done the required maintenance and he wanted too much. What shocked me about it was that amazing syrupy smooth ride and its low speed agility.

Fast forward about 2 years later and I stumbled on a GS instead.

I think the OP might have already sold himself on getting the LS, not such a bad thing, there are worse choices out there.
Old 02-19-15, 04:52 PM
takashi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Measured
I am getting more than double that amount to put towards the car. Let me put it this way. It is like me selling my car for 11k and using that money to mod a car and get it up to standards.
In that case, I would most definitely do it

Trade it NOW!
Old 02-19-15, 06:54 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
everyone in here bought the GS because it somehow resonated with them in a way that other cars did now... much like how some guys like fat chicks, or skinny *****es, or girls of another ethnicity.... it's all a matter of preference and opinion.

I was actually looking for an LS of this same generation before I stumbled on the GS. All of those LS's had the same problem that this one does...

Fifty shades of beige.

However, like you said, that is entirely subjective and just my opinion. Therefore, it has no factual basis and should not be used to sway the OP's decision.

Originally Posted by Measured
Well when you put it that way... What are you waiting for? Go make that trade!
Old 02-19-15, 07:30 PM
Measured
Advanced

I'll have it tomorrow to have for 3 days and drive it around. It gets a PPI on Wednesday. If it does not pass inspection and needs more work than I think it does. I'll keep my GS. I plan on spending $4000 on full suspension upkeep and engine maintenance. The rest is for anything else that might come up. Wheels will be redone next year as I'll keep mine and having my stereo transplanted will save some costs.

Who knows though as I love both cars and would have them both. Thanks everyone for the input. Please continue to share what you think.

I though I mentioned that all the work done wouldn't have been out of pocket for me to get it road worthy
Old 02-19-15, 07:36 PM
CBGS3
Driver

Up to you bro I wouldn't but I still have a project on hand and the money ur gonna put in the ls u can put it into the gs n rebuild the 2gs looks cleaner done right but then again u see more of those around but it's up to u bro
Old 02-19-15, 08:27 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you should do it. It's a completely new project for you, so that in itself will be a lot of fun. The LS400 is such a smooth car and should be a bit quicker than the GS300 too. It has more interior room and it doesn't look all that bad especially with what you are considering doing. I've always liked how the LS has all these nice little features. I myself have owned a 94 LS and I really liked it. Best of luck!
Old 02-19-15, 10:13 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CBGS3
Up to you bro I wouldn't but I still have a project on hand and the money ur gonna put in the ls u can put it into the gs n rebuild the 2gs looks cleaner done right but then again u see more of those around but it's up to u bro
punctuation!

need to read the posts, brah...

the two options are: 1. keep the GS with basically zero money to play with; or 2. trade for the LS PLUS cash back to get the LS up to par and some mods...

so no, he couldn't just sink the money into his GS that he would spend on the LS
Old 02-20-15, 08:54 PM
Measured
Advanced

I've had a chance to have the car for a day. I must say I really enjoy the LS a lot and can see a the potential with it. I have no doubt I could make it my own and more.

Pro's
- V8
- Comfortable ride
- Great condition
- Low KM's 197,000 KM's or 122k miles
- Black interior
- Paint in great condition
- Cash trade is enough to cover the cost. It's the unknown.
- Bodystyle

Con's
- Soon to be family member trade
- work needs to be done (don't want to be out of pocket if I encounter an unknown)
- Bodystyle
- Older car with less options than mine
Old 02-20-15, 10:32 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I couldn't do it... I wouldn't. the best lessons learned are the ones we fight through. You're a good guy for considering it but that's as far as I'd go on the making a switch. Honestly if it were for a project car I'd keep the GS and just buy the LS off him. Obviously that's not an option at the moment. I'd just fall back.
Old 02-20-15, 10:34 PM
Measured
Advanced

Switch isn't happening. I do know I want a LS 06+ down the road myself. Thanks for everyone's input.

Quick Reply: Would you trade your GS?