GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd Gen GS Aging Gracefully.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-03, 09:04 AM
LexFather

Default 2nd Gen GS Aging Gracefully.

Well, the GS has been out what 5 years now. ANd it still turns heads and IMO has aged gracefully. I was not so confident at first when the car first came out (it looked to original and strange) and I feared it would not wear time well as the 1st generation (a classic looking car). I find myself still staring at my car and I think it is still one of the best looking sedans out there. IMO, most all the cars in the GS price range are pretty good looking still (5/E/A-6) especially the 5. And looking at some of the newer sedans, I see the GS is influential in their designs inside and out.

I am also happy with how the interior has aged, it still looks top notch to me. Though I think the new E-class has a beautiful interior and maybe the new benchmark( athough they lost their gated shifter, a Benz trademark!?!?!?!, probably cause you can get this from Kias and Altimas now). The Optitron gauges are still awesome and the wood still looks great.

So what a car to have. Some 5 year purchase agreements should be up, HAPPY CAMPERS!

Old 03-15-03, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, after looking at my car and a lot of new cars out there, i am really surprirsed how the 2nd gen GS keeps up with the trend, somehow. they foresee everything back in 98 when the car was released? i don't know. a lot of stuff you find on the GS, it's still very "modern"

when the car first came out, i admit, i was like eww.... that car doesn't look right, blah blah blah... but now, 5 yrs later, i look at it, damn, it's a nice and look really elegant. i love it. and see, the prev gen and the new gen e class always follow the same line

the int is very clean imho, very practical and comfortable. everything you want is within reach and you don't find yourself spending a long time learning how to use this and that
Old 03-15-03, 11:09 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, the GS is still one of the best looking sedans IMO.
Old 03-15-03, 02:14 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, SICK, although I have a gut feeling that when the all-new GS debuts it will be the same way: not sure entirely about the styling, love some things, put off by others, but it will just be newer and that will make it seem even nicer. I saw the new RX330 last week, and same thing, it seemed so much nicer than the current RX, the interior was more luxurious, more options and features, looks unlike anything out there. Once I sit in the new GS I guarentee that I'll want one regardless.
Old 03-15-03, 02:22 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rominl
[B]yes, after looking at my car and a lot of new cars out there, i am really surprirsed how the 2nd gen GS keeps up with the trend, somehow. they foresee everything back in 98

Make That back in 97, that is when I got mine. I also think the GS is one of the best looking sedans around even stock. however Droping the car, bigger wheels and bodykit then there is nothing that comes close.
Old 03-15-03, 06:31 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great topic Sick. Yeah, I think the GS is the best all around car and designed. It's still a head turner after 5 years.
Old 03-15-03, 07:30 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 2nd Gen GS Aging Gracefully.

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well, the GS has been out what 5 years now. ANd it still turns heads and IMO has aged gracefully. I was not so confident at first when the car first came out (it looked to original and strange) and I feared it would not wear time well as the 1st generation (a classic looking car). I find myself still staring at my car and I think it is still one of the best looking sedans out there. IMO, most all the cars in the GS price range are pretty good looking still (5/E/A-6) especially the 5. And looking at some of the newer sedans, I see the GS is influential in their designs inside and out.

I am also happy with how the interior has aged, it still looks top notch to me. Though I think the new E-class has a beautiful interior and maybe the new benchmark( athough they lost their gated shifter, a Benz trademark!?!?!?!, probably cause you can get this from Kias and Altimas now). The Optitron gauges are still awesome and the wood still looks great.

So what a car to have. Some 5 year purchase agreements should be up, HAPPY CAMPERS!

I was driving on the right lane this morning and saw this fast approaching mini-van traveling at a high rate of speed in my rear view mirror (10-15mph faster than my speed). Instead of passing my GS like other vehicles on the slow lane, he slowed down and pulled next my GS in the fast lane and started checking out my GS with his passengers. Not that many 98-99 vehicles still can attract this much attention.
Old 03-16-03, 05:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the SC has also aged very well...I mean look at other cars from 1992 and then look at a '92 SC....still looks damn good....
Old 03-16-03, 06:44 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Manaray
I think the SC has also aged very well...I mean look at other cars from 1992 and then look at a '92 SC....still looks damn good....
I second that. I remember when the SC was first introduce in 92. It's on the front cover of every car magazines.
Old 03-16-03, 07:16 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up ;)

Well said yah. It is very true the 2nd gen. GS still rocks. Lexus styling has always been ahead of everyone else. Mercedes did a great job on the new E-class tho. BMW & AUDi are coming on strong too. I beleive that the 03 E-class 500 is the new benchmark. It's good enough like Manaray said " change over to the dark side" very nice styling. Looks like times are a changing for the high end car scene. It makes me all the more curiuos as to how Lexus will answer the call w/new GS. I will never forget the 1st time I saw the 1st gen. GS300. My dad's rich buddy just bought himself a really nice White GS & White SC for his wife. From that day on I began to think that owning a Lexus must lead to a perfect life. lol.The Lexus GS & SC are very well designed cars that have stood the test of time. My dad wanted to get a SC but, this was around the time when Michael Jordan's dad was carjacked & killed for his SC, so my dad thought other wise. My dad's buddy even traded his SC in cus. he thought that he would become a target. Then back in 98 I'm driving around in a damn delivery van making a round & I see a White Blur go by me at like mach speed. I try desperately to catch up & check it out. I was totally blown away by what I saw next. I see a Pure White brand spanking new 98 GS400 w/ what looked like Mercedes tails lamps. GOOOODDDD. Damn
The car was loaded w/4 cuties too I first thing I thought of was WOW Lexus is really gonna start to go after Mercedes? Can anyone say first love? I made a promise that day to get a GS ASAP. only problem was I had no $. I hope the new GS brings the same excitement that I felt back then & puts the fear of GOD into Mercedes & BMW like they've always done.

Paul
Old 03-16-03, 07:20 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: 2nd Gen GS Aging Gracefully.

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

i Definitely agree that its one of the best lookin cars. i kno my car turns heads and more so when me and captain bone ride one after the other because to see 2 black gs's in a row is extremely odd for our area. lexus's are rare around here except for the ES300's so when you see an sc (more the 300/400's) its a head turner as well. lots of benz's and jag's though ... i love my car!

~ Stella
Old 03-16-03, 08:24 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: 2nd Gen GS Aging Gracefully.

Originally posted by Yankees Diva
i Definitely agree that its one of the best lookin cars. i kno my car turns heads and more so when me and captain bone ride one after the other because to see 2 black gs's in a row is extremely odd for our area. lexus's are rare around here except for the ES300's so when you see an sc (more the 300/400's) its a head turner as well. lots of benz's and jag's though ... i love my car!

~ Stella
Ain't that the truth! lol

-Anthony
Old 03-16-03, 12:29 PM
Nexusbeta
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the GS has aged gracefully, but I think my Z (Z32 90-96 300zx) has topped that. Looks great even after 14 years! (89-03) people still come up and ask me if the Z is some new car that just came out
Old 03-16-03, 09:05 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Totally agree with all of you guys but I must give it to the Jag XK8. I just love that car, and I believe it to has age gracefully. 20 years from now that car will still make people turn.
Old 03-16-03, 09:13 PM
LexFather

I think the SC has also aged very well...I mean look at other cars from 1992 and then look at a '92 SC....still looks damn good
SC is classic period. The way they blended the Bumper with the bodywork. The sweeping thick character line. The long hood, short deck. They Quad headlights in 2 different shapes. Amazing to this day. It won car of the year, was a 10 Best winner for 6 years in a row, was voted best interior in a car, etc etc.

I was not saying other cars did not age as well or better. Ya'll named some

XK (been out since 97)
300ZX (been out since 1990)

Some more
Acura NSX (since 1991)
Supra (92-97)
RX-7(93-95)
5-series (97+)
E-class (96-02)
A-6(98+)
Corvette(97+)

IMO

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen GS Aging Gracefully.